Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

On 12/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, tkdguy said:

Did he really say that?

Well, Mace Windu is a bit "Sith Curious", so...

On 12/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, Ternaugh said:

My co-worker and I wonder if the new talking biometric reader on the door can be hacked to respond in Klingon.

Propably.

Audiofiles usually are among the first things you need to localize. So if anything is on a easily acessed writeable memory, they are it.

I give it a 90% propably that the reader Software is just a really small Linux with Speakers. The same kind you find on Routers.

With my old taling clock I would have doubted it. But that thing is so last milennium.

"The problem is, most people believe that real science is too difficult and complicated for them to understand. But I don't think this is the case. To do research on the fundamental laws that govern the universe would require a commitment of time that most people don't have; the world would soon grind to a halt if we all tried to do theoretical physics. But most people can understand and appreciate the basic ideas if they are presented in a clear way without equations, which I believe is possible and which is something I have enjoyed trying to do throughout my life."

~Stephen Hawking, "Brief Answers to the Big Questions", p. 4

• 2 weeks later...

"When someone does a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both end up dirty, and the pig likes it."

There's such a fine line between these two statements.

• 2 weeks later...

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That is the reason for the storm.” 

~Haruki Murakami

25 minutes ago, Cancer said:

"Do you think the iron feels no pain as it is hammered, heated, quenched, repeatedly as it is forged into a sword?"

Never mind the iron. I want to know if it hurts the caterpillar to become a butterfly.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that it obviously KILLS the caterpillar, but does it HURT?

Fig. 3. Cumulative cratering rates at Jupiter. The curves for Metis, Thebe, and Amalthea are truncated for craters larger than the satellite. Such impacts are deemed disruptive.

"Deemed disruptive" seems like a useful user handle here.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother has adopted an increasingly sedentary lifestyle as he's gotten older. Yesterday I was visiting him and his wife at their house.

My brother: "You can't take life for granted. I could get run over by a car tomorrow."

His wife: "Only if it drove through the living-room window."

"My response to that proposal is Churchillian: We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..."