Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:53 AM, L. Marcus said:

... Buh-hut that moustache was an institution! 

It's growing back, slowly.

It's also coming in with a lot of grey, and the hair around the chin and neck is coming in white. Today's comment from my current co-worker was, "It's okay, you can always play Santa Claus for Christmas."

{Name redacted}'s resilience and resourcefulness, as well as stability while striving toward a goal and capacity to work through adversity toward that goal, frankly approach being the stuff of legend.  She arrived in the US at 17 to provide free labor for her aunt, in exchange for the aunt's sponsorship into the country and paying for her college education, which fell through when the aunt went bankrupt in the housing bubble that climaxed in 2008.  She then worked 60 hours a week for two and a half years as a manicurist.  Enlisting in the Navy to secure citizenship and gain access to veterans' college education benefits, she performed her duty moving aircraft on the flight deck of USS Nimitz by night and then worked in the ship's dental clinic by day (completing the three-year training for that in seven months).

• 2 weeks later...

They found that the [Egyptian fruit bat] noises are not just random, as previously thought, reports <author>. They were able to classify 60 percent of the calls into four categories. One of the call types indicates the bats are arguing about food. Another indicates a dispute about their positions within the sleeping cluster. A third call is reserved for males making unwanted mating advances and the fourth happens when a bat argues with another bat sitting too close.

Sounds like a school lunchroom.

Daughter (who has her father's case of potty mouth, augmented by the generational slide toward vulgarity): I swear there's new babies all over this f---ing neighborhood.  There's one across the street, there's one a block down north of us, there's one back over that way (southwest), there's another over there somewhere (waves generally south and east), I hear 'em all.  Makes it hard to listen for cats when you call them in.

Me: That actually is an appropriate use of that word.

“A lot of cheap seats in the arena are filled with people who never venture onto the floor. They just hurl mean-spirited criticisms and put-downs from a safe distance....Therefore, we need to be selective about the feedback we let into our lives. For me, if you’re not in the arena also getting your ass kicked, I’m not interested in your feedback.”

~ Brené Brown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Problem from the text, chapter 13, problem 53. Comment: This is a problem famous both in modern history and in physics: this is one key calculation needed for separating the two isotopes of uranium, one of which (235U, the rare naturally-occurring one) is fissile and therefore directly useful for nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons, while the other one (238U, the common isotope) is not.