Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

I found an inexplicable mistake in what I sent last night while re-reading it this morning after coffee.  The projected loss of transfers from [course] in Spring as given last night was rather too large.  Instead of a drop of 10 to 15, that drop should be 4 or 5.

Everything else seems to pass the sniff test in the cold grey light of dawn.

Don't use bar graphs in this class.  The way Excel sets up bar graphs ...  there's nothing like a meaningful x-axis in such plots (the x-labels can be in any order, and the gap between bars has nothing to do with the difference between adjacent x-values).   That actually conceals, rather than displays, information, and in science that's about the most evil thing there is.  Use what Excel calls an X-Y scatter plot.

"It has been my experience in dealing with science-denying anti-mask faux-libertarian plague enthusiasts that phrases like 'But what about hospitalization rates?' and 'But what about death rates?' serve largely the same purposes that 'But what about Hillary's e-mails?' did four years ago."

I'm kind of team-teaching lab courses this term, via Zoom, and my workstation is in my poorly lit basement which is also not well heated.  So I am sitting back in my chair letting the other guy talk, and I am wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.  I pull the hood over my head. 

one student, in chat window: "Dr. _____, you look like a Sith Lord"

me, also in chat: "We will watch your career with great interest."

my co-instructor, over voice: "Dr _____ *is* a Sith lord."

(I smile on camera and pull my hood further down.)

My daughters were discussing their own personal D&D alignments at the dinner table a week ago.

My oldest, who doesn't always think before she does something, figures that she is Chaotic.  However, she is also very good at following rules and laws, which points toward Lawful. 

Me:  You're one of those very rare people who somehow manages to be Chaotic Lawful. 

Youngest daughter:  No, you're Chaotic Dumba**.