Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

I guess I might just have to listen to it with fresh ears, mid 90s Allanis saturation was overwhelming. I liked it just fine, but it was no better than just fine I thought. 

the weird part is the kid I are copacetic on music, there’s very little I like that he doesn’t and vice versa, aside from him not caring for some jazz I like, or Tool. But from the Flaming Lips to Pharaoh Monch to Stevie Wonder to Blue Oyster Cult to Siouxsee and the Banshees, we generally agree. 

it’s not a tragedy or anything, it was just weird for Jagged Little Pill to be on his list next to Jar of Flies

For as long as I've been a college instructor I have told parents: You cannot tell.  You cannot control.  Do not delude yourself into thinking anything else.  Just watch in wonder.

This is the version of the story as I told it in the late 1990s, speaking to parents of incoming freshmen one summer about 24 years after I graduated from high school.

My best friend in high school and I went to undergrad together.  We were roommates for a couple of quarters, before he got a girlfriend and moved off into a single room.

When we went off to college, he was determined be a drama tech major.  Set designs, lighting patterns, sound boards, and so on.  He set to it with enthusiasm and determination.  He had an ambition to build a sweeping ballroom staircase on a set someday.

Because you have to, he took classes outside his major as well.  And ... his interests shifted.  He still liked drama tech, but he found something else that gripped him more and he was good at, unsurprisingly, because he's a smart guy.  He changed majors, went to grad school, got married (I was there for that last), ...

He's now acting chairman of the Department of Chemical Engineering at New Mexico State.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am obliged to change the time of my regular office hours on Tuesdays so that they will start at 10AM, not 11AM.  I have developed a new set of recurring meetings at 11AM Tuesdays, which makes recurring meetings sound like an infectious disease, and that analogy is strongly compelling.  Nevertheless, ...

I mentioned that we went out of town and ate supper last night.  Well, the kids and I went out of town and met my wife in a different town, though technically, she was coming back into town on her way home from just beyond a third town.  (Like I told you, Chris: not only is travel _not_ a big production for us, it's just a normal part of life.  ;)  )

The wife beat us there, mostly because she wasn't riding herd on kids.   :lol:   we arrive, order, and wait patiently for the fishing vessel to dock, unload, sell its catch, the buyer to haul them to market, etc- it takes a but of time to get your order on a plate and on your table. This is fin3, though, because I tend to go ther3 for the half-acre salad bar-- that thing is amazing!

anyway, the kids and are are picking at other, the wife is laughing, and a great tim3 is being had by all (because we havent see a bill yet).  Hammerhead said something- some reply to a zinger someone else had gotten off on him; I dont remember what it was, but I know it was something that made no sense, given my age, and I said as much:

"Boy, I am sixty-one years old-!"

at this point, the waiter- a thin young man I estimated to be about nineteen- spoke up before he caught himself- you know how it goes: something surprises you and the mouth just forgets to stay shut for half a second.  "Really?!"  

I glanced his way and saw the regret all over his face, so to let him know I wasnt bothered in the least by his participation, I replied directly to him "Yep.  I could be your granddaddy."

"I'm sorry, it's just that you don't sound or act like an old person-  oh; I'm sorry-!"

my life just lost it. "Jeez, Dad! I cant take you anywhere!"

"Nice try.  He's not blind."

she stops laughing and the kids start.

"No, you really just don't talk like I am used to from peoole your age."

the kids are beaming: 'look at us!  We've got the cool dad!'

Well, we cant be havin' that, now, can we?

I open my eyes big in my most genuinely appreciative expression, and my fingers splay as I press their tips against my heart in my most church-lady sincere posturing of thanks and in my best "bless his heart" warm voice I just coo "Awww..  That's so epic yeet sus, Fam..."

He suddenly recoils like I had spit on the floor, my wife starts laughing, then he bursts into laughter and I glwnce at the kids and find a crime scene: they had definitely been murdered.  Multiple stab wounds completely through the pride, it seemed.

:D

it's hard work, being a parent.  You have to traumatize them,exactly the right way if you want them to grow up to be funny....

;)