Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

True' date=' and my apologies for any unintended offense. I encountered the same thing the first time I met a friend's boyfriend and he told me a "joke" involving domestic abuse. I might have taken it better if I hadn't known that he had hit her before.[/quote']

I didn't take any. I'm pretty good at sorting out intent.

It's one of those jokes that just isn't funny. Kinda like people asking me how the weather is up there.

I didn't take any. I'm pretty good at sorting out intent.

It's one of those jokes that just isn't funny. Kinda like people asking me how the weather is up there.

That one's just tiresome. You'd think if someone was trying to be witty, they'd try for some creativity.

...Sometimes, I think about separating people into two categories: Dull, and witty. But then I realize that I'd like and hate people in both categories, so it wouldn't work.

Take it from someone who has a tendency to involuntarily overreact*. It isn't worth the stress to get snippy over someone else's failed attempt at humor. As my nephew says: "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious!" Everyone has a different perspective. As long as the person making the "swap cat recipes" isn't serious, someone besides you may have found the quip hilarious. I'd probably say something similar, given the right circumstances, and I would never do anything to harm a fuzzy animal that wasn't trying to make a meal of me. Except cows. And pigs. Chickens, too. The list goes on and on. Of course I'm not advocating for a program of torture and extermination, but as empathetic predators, we should make an effort to not cause any unnecessary distress in the critters we're going to eat.

* Depression and anxiety mean I have a tendency to be upset by relatively minor things. I can't watch certain episodes of Doctor Phil due to the intensity of the subject matter, and I really can't enjoy horror movies as much as I used to. :P

Morbid humor is fine as long as it's funny. There's a lot in delivery and who your audience is. If it relates to someone personally or gets misinterpreted, there's a good chance you might hit a raw nerve instead of any sort of humor value. Heck, it happened to you not that long ago.

Morbid humor is fine as long as it's funny. There's a lot in delivery and who your audience is. If it relates to someone personally or gets misinterpreted' date=' there's a good chance you might hit a raw nerve instead of any sort of humor value. Heck, it happened to you not that long ago.[/quote']

Anything can hit a raw nerve. Happens to me, sometimes, after which I've had to apologize.

Shoot, I've had people get offended/have a raw nerve hit when I was the subject of the joke I just delviered. And I'm talking me not my gender/race/age/weight etc.

One exception so far. I've yet to have anyone react badly to my bald jokes. And yes, I am bald. And I collect the jokes.

Here's one of my favorites:

God created only so many perfect heads. The rest He covered with hair.

I take a walk through the medical complex here almost every workday, and one route I take passes by a whiteboard where, every other day, someone writes an interesting, amusing, and/or inspiring message. Today's message was:

You need three bones to succeed in life:

• A wishbone
  • A backbone
  • A funny bone

True story: student was being nosy today.

Student: Are you married?

Me: No.

Student: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Not at this time.

Student: You know, you can go to e-harmony. tried it out. It's $55 a month.

Me: I have better things to do with $55 a month.

True story: student was being nosy today.

Student: Are you married?

Me: No.

Student: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Not at this time.

Student: You know, you can go to e-harmony. tried it out. It's $55 a month.

Me: I have better things to do with $55 a month.

Meh. OKCupid is much better. And free.

I'm working on an order at the factory (still doing double-duty working both shipping and inventory) my co-worker walks over and I says, "I'm so happy here I could just ***t!"

He replies "You know you'll go to hell for lyin', right?"

I know that. "Yeah, but where do they send me for sarcasm?"

Without hesitation, he says "Purgatory."

I look around and shrug. "Done deal."

I'm trying to explain to a student (whi is a Justin Bieber fan) what an understudy is.

Me: The understudy takes over if the star gets sick.

Student: So someone will take over for Justin Bieber if he's sick?

Me: No, then the concert will be cancelled. Understudies are for plays. But maybe Justin Bieber can be replaced by... The Monkees! (to an older student) That would go well! :rolleyes: