Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Alcohol and people shouldn't mix' date=' but on occasion it can be hilarious. ^^[/quote']

Now THERE's a quote worth preserving.

By the way, you're still working on your doctorate aren't you?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I had a quote I wanted to post but after seeing Mr. Keyes' wonderful contributions I completely forgot what I was going to say.

I doubt I'll go for the MD -- licensed physician takes long enough' date=' and I've got to start earning soon ...[/quote']

Oh. I was just thinking then I could quote it as "Dr. Marcus says 'Alcohol and people shouldn't mix.'"

Lucius Alexander

Dispatching a team of highly trained palindromedaries to SSgt Baloo's location

I'm already taking up his conceptual space?

Eeeexcellent ...

Stealing his space?

You're a space pirate?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reflects that even worse than a space pirate would be a time bandit.

From a different forum U frequent:

True' date=' the communicators are probably the most obsolete. They're just glorified walkie-talkies. They don't have voice mail, play music, take pictures, video games, GPS...[/quote']

They lose enough Red Shirts on away missions without everyone wandering around an alien planet playing Angry Birds.

My son (high school sophomore) has some math homework to do during his spring break, which he is resisting. I am "helping" which is what we call it when he doesn't know how to do some of the problems.

[Ranting digression: when did they start teaching math such that the first thing you do is reach for a calculator?]

Geometry problem, finding areas of sections of circles. I show him how to do problems. I all but slap his hand when he reaches for the calculator.

A recurrent argument eventually re-erupts, based on age, strength, intelligence, and treachery always overcoming youth and skill.

At one point he says, "You might have intelligence, and strength, and treachery on your side. But we have numbers." ("We", of course, is kids of his generation.)

I get in his face and whisper intensely: "You do ... but you don't know how to use them."

"I think they should pass a law against suicide bombing."

"What? Isn't suicide bombing already illegal?"

"Yeah, it's called 'first-degree murder'."

"Well then, how come you never hear about suicide bombers going to jail?"

"Did you really just ask that?"

Overheard at Swancon

*comparing bad license photos*
Any company that makes chastity belts? Their stock just went up

From the Movies of 2010 panel

Audience opinion of
The Lightning Thief
- a chorus of ambivalent ehhhhs and handwaving - "You're like a horde of apathetic bees"

Wolfman
- "He looked like an Ewok with pituitary issues"

Alice in Wonderland
- "I just wish Burton and Depp would start seeing other people"

Mocking the
Clash of the Titans
'This year.. Titans Will Clash!' promos - "They should do that for more movies - This Year... Miss Daisy Will Be Driven!"

Prince of Persia
- "Started off promising, then devolved into an hour of Jake Gyllenhaal swinging off poles. Just like Brokeback Mountain"

At home - I ran over some of the groceries the other day

Purrdence
: You ran over the apple! You killed the apple!... Applecider!

Me
:
*headdesk*

At Norwescon last weekend, a panel talking about the best board & card games of the last year. The only female panelist says, I think speaking of the new game Get Nuts:

"Then there's [this game] where you grab each others' nuts."

One of the male panelists, over the laughter: "You're squirrels! You're squirrels!"

So anyway...

My Dad was cutting up this humongous tree that fell down during last week's storm and his chainsaw got stuck. (I got a great picture of this dead tree w/a chainsaw sticking straight up out of it like the Sword in the Stone.) He gave up and went to get another chainsaw to free it. I looked it over, and with a bit of finesse (yeah, like I've got any brute strength) worked it loose. I went inside and proudly showed him the now-free chainsaw, liberated from the tree.

"How'd you do that?"

"Divine Right. I'm King of the Britons now, so I'm takin' my magic chainsaw and movin' to Camelot. See ya later!"

He just rolled his eyes, with that Why can't I have a normal son? look on his face....