Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

A friend of mine is one of the organizers/staff for Balticon, so we got to talking about conventions...

Me: I'm gonna have to go to a convention one of these days... but the noise and packed-in-like-sardines crowds just don't appeal to me

Her: Its an experience to be sure :)

Me: Getting sodomized by a gorilla is also "an experience, to be sure"... but that doesn't mean I'm keen on giving it a try... ;-)

Her: ~snort~ warn me before you let go with a zinger like that, my monitor almost took a coke bath.

So anyway...

My Dad was cutting up this humongous tree that fell down during last week's storm and his chainsaw got stuck. (I got a great picture of this dead tree w/a chainsaw sticking straight up out of it like the Sword in the Stone.) He gave up and went to get another chainsaw to free it. I looked it over, and with a bit of finesse (yeah, like I've got any brute strength) worked it loose. I went inside and proudly showed him the now-free chainsaw, liberated from the tree.

"How'd you do that?"

"Divine Right. I'm King of the Britons now, so I'm takin' my magic chainsaw and movin' to Camelot. See ya later!"

He just rolled his eyes, with that Why can't I have a normal son? look on his face....

I would be proud to call you son.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks if that means Xavier now gets to care for Lucius in his old age.

Snipped a little for space, I'll link to the original post at the end. I found this on a running site I frequent...

I have noticed that it is so easy to talk to people about Vibrams, evangelizing if you will. It takes almost no effort whatsoever. Its funny, if someone sees me wearing them they will walk right up and ask me about the funky shoes on my feet.

I was out with my family at Garden of the Gods last week when we came across a couple climbers, one was on belay the other, female, was high up the rock. We decided to stop and watch her climb for a while, and soon there was a whole group of us watching this amazing woman climb this seemingly sheer face. I happened to be wearing my Vibrams and before long people start talking to me about my feet, rather than watching the woman climb.

I thought this was pretty odd, but I answered their questions, gave them my opinions and even the guy on belay seemed to be paying more attention to me than his girlfriend. What struck me later on, after the conversation was over and we were back in the car, my brother said "Mike, you were wearing a Jesus shirt, your Cross hat and yet all anyone wanted to talk about was your Vibrams."

"Yeah, Andy, I guess they were really interested in saving their soles!

Evangelizing for......Vibrams? (link)

I think my answer was "Uh' date=' by the ocean?" I was prepared for the ask-lots-of-questions phase, but I have to admit I was kind of expecting the questions to make sense.[/quote']

Questions from adults don't make sense. Why did you think children's would be any different?

I kind of figured children wouldn't have had time to develop an adult case of the stupids. But that also means they aren't exactly limited by reality. Which reminds me, I was reading a Fake Dr. Seuss book about the North and South Pole to the newer kid this morning:

"Daddy, can we go there?"

"Where? The North Pole?"

"Yeah."

"Sure, maybe. When you're a little bigger."

"But I don't know where that is."

"I'm sure we can find it on a map."

"Is it behind the toy store?"

"I'm afraid it's a lot further away than that."

"Oh. We'd better take a snack."

Questions from adults don't make sense. Why did you think children's would be any different?

It's just the ways in which they don't make sense from kids that throws people off. I remember being a substitute teacher in a grade school on career day (or somesuch). There was a fellow who worked for a check publisher, and he was telling the kids all about how checks worked, how you filled them out, what the numbers meant, etc. When it was time for Q & A, he looked like he was ready for the types of questions he thought the kids would ask. But the ones they actually did ask threw him for a loop...

Do we have to write in cursive?

Do they come in different colors?

Do I have to use black ink?

What if I spell the amount wrong?

It's just the ways in which they don't make sense from kids that throws people off. I remember being a substitute teacher in a grade school on career day (or somesuch). There was a fellow who worked for a check publisher, and he was telling the kids all about how checks worked, how you filled them out, what the numbers meant, etc. When it was time for Q & A, he looked like he was ready for the types of questions he thought the kids would ask. But the ones they actually did ask threw him for a loop...

Do we have to write in cursive?

Do they come in different colors?

Do I have to use black ink?

What if I spell the amount wrong?

I got asked those by college students when I opened their checking account...

I kind of figured children wouldn't have had time to develop an adult case of the stupids. But that also means they aren't exactly limited by reality. Which reminds me, I was reading a Fake Dr. Seuss book about the North and South Pole to the newer kid this morning:

"Daddy, can we go there?"

"Where? The North Pole?"

"Yeah."

"Sure, maybe. When you're a little bigger."

"But I don't know where that is."

"I'm sure we can find it on a map."

"Is it behind the toy store?"

"I'm afraid it's a lot further away than that."

"Oh. We'd better take a snack."

A child's sense of geography can be sort of vague. Growing up in San Jose, by age 4 I knew that the place Grandma came from, Arkansas, was off towards the sunrise. Having no idea how big the world was, I figured it was waaay off on the other side of the ridge you could see in that direction.

Later we lived in Chico, and by age 5 I still hadn't quite reached the understanding that there was anything on the far side of the horizon. Then my Dad's buddy flew up from San Jose in his Cessna 170 (with an orange vertical stabilizer) to visit us. Next day he took us up to fly and I was astounded. As we rose into the air I could see that there was a ridge beyond the horizon, and as we rose, another beyond that and another until my 5-year-old brain finally started to believe that the world was bigger than I could imagine. Adults tend to forget just how profound a child's ignorance can be. (But I didn't!)

I think my answer was "Uh' date=' by the ocean?" I was prepared for the ask-lots-of-questions phase, but I have to admit I was kind of expecting the questions to make sense.[/quote']

Ever hear Robin Williams talking about his son? He did a funny bit about the whole questions thing. IIRC, it went something like:

"Daddy, why is the sky blue?"

"Because of the atmosphere."

"Why is there atmosphere?"

"Because we have to breathe."

"Why do we have to breathe?"

"WHO ARE YOU? CARL SAGAN? Two weeks ago, you were sitting in your own (poop) and now you want to know EVERYTHING?!"

Though I fondly remember driving my daughters to elementary school one day, and listening to the older one explain to the younger one about skin color. It went something like this:

"We have pink skin, and some people have brown skin, or white skin, or red skin. But we all have the same muscles and bones underneath. So it's what we have inside that's important, not what's outside."

- - - - - - -

That reminded me of another time driving with my oldest daughter, she'd have been about 7-8 at the time. I had the radio on, set to WNIC (a local FM station). They had a catchy little jingle they played before reporting the weather, with someone singing, "W-N-I-C, Detroit Weather!"

I just about busted a gut when my daughter sang out, "W-N-I-C, Detroit Weapons!"

I walked into the kitchen tonight to see my eldest daughter (age 18) drawing faces on the eggs in the egg carton.

Her: "What?! They're pirates and ninjas! Hey, at least I let the pirates kill *one* of the ninjas!"

Me: (sigh) "Just don't draw on all of them."

A bit later, her boyfriend texted her (presumably in response to one of her texts): "Your dad is a scrooge."

Me: "Hey, all I said was not to draw on *all* of them."

I then took an egg out of the carton and drew on a face, bowtie, and a speech bubble: "Bow ties are cool!"

She said that tomorrow, she's going to add Amy and Rory eggs to go with the Doctor egg.