Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Overheard in a discussion of aviation safety:

Most accidents happen when the aircraft impacts the ground. After all, the air is pretty soft... except for the hard parts we call 'birds'.

Another one I overheard:

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing that leaves the aircraft in flyable condition is an excellent landing.

One more from a translation of OPR (Officer Performance Report) terms into plain English:

Superb Piloting Skills = "Has an equal number of take-offs and landings."

Ah yes. I lurved working the Faire. Brings to mind yet another quote I told a friend of mine:

"If you can't get laid working at the RenFaire, you can't get laid."

:snicker:

Yeah, that's one of the few instances where men in tights are sexy... Bring me to a show of "Swan Lake" and I'll try to rinse my eyeballs with rubbing alcohol.

Reading posts in the "Not Always Right" thread reminded me of this story from a previous job, but I think it fits better here than there.

A little set-up: this job was at a software retail shop back in the mid-80's, when the concept of a store that sold only software was very new. The store was in downtown DC, about a block away from the White House and (relevant to the story) three or four blocks away from the red-light district.

Also, at that time, one of the hottest software items were text-only adventures from Infocom. They covered a range of genres, from fantasy (Zork and Enchanter) to SF (Planetfall and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). A big feature of the games was that they ran on pretty much any platform available at the time, and were available in a number of media formats (which back then meant floppies, commonly 5.25" and 8" in size).

So, the store's staff included one sole woman who had to put up with the rest of us. One day, she was up front handling customers while the rest of us were in back attending to various tasks.

A customer came in asking for the game Enchanter on an 8" floppy formatted for CP/M. The woman told the customer she'd check and went back to yell through the office door, "Do we have an eight-inch Enchanter?"

There was a couple of seconds of dead silence, followed by raucous laughter from us as her face turned red once she realized what she'd just said. The store owner, wiping tears from his eyes, suggested she check down the block.

Yeah, yeah, I know, we were horribly sexist and probably liable for harassment by today's standards. But what can I say? It was downright hi-larious. :D

Well, one of my fellow geek friends in college mentioned one that has just popped into my head. (though he could have got it from a movie I didnt know about, because we did tend to use a lot of movie quotes :doi:)

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Either way, the other guy gets the girl.

:D