Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

I'm at the wine store near my work talking to the owner about a couple of unsavory characters in the neighborhood.

Me: Those guys hardly qualify as human beings. You've seen Lord of the Rings? I call those guys Orcs.

Wine Merchant: The thing is, these Orcs are real!

I'm at the wine store near my work talking to the owner about a couple of unsavory characters in the neighborhood.

Me: Those guys hardly qualify as human beings. You've seen Lord of the Rings? I call those guys Orcs.

Wine Merchant: The thing is, these Orcs are real!

"Human" doesn't just cover the good points.

"This weekend has been under the sign of the lemmings. Thousands of millions of lemmings. Barking lemmings, confused lemmings, dead lemmings, flat lemmings, running lemmings, hiding lemmings, lemmings who think they hide but in reality the whole hinie sticks out, lemmings who fight, lemmings who run away from you, lemmings who chase you ... Yes, the list just goes on and on. But most of all, I've seen so durn many lemmings. Like, thewholemountainismovingwithlemmings-many. REALLY MANY!"

--Impressed friend on FB. Sounds like next year will be a fox- and owl-year.

Having dinner in a little resturant in downtown Denver. After dinner is over, I have to go use the men's room. The door is locked. It's a small resturant, it's probably only got a one-seater, so I wait patiently. I continue to wait. I continue to wait. By this time, any average man could've peed four times and washed his hands five times. I rattle the doorknob again to make sure the door is really locked. I continue to wait. My patience eventually wears thin, so I lean up against the door and say loudly,

"You had better be giving birth or dying in there, because I swear to god if you are masturbating or shooting up, I am going to kick down this door and kill you."

(Sadly, I never had a chance to meet the adzehole spending 15 minutes in the toilet, because we had to leave).

Having dinner in a little resturant in downtown Denver. After dinner is over, I have to go use the men's room. The door is locked. It's a small resturant, it's probably only got a one-seater, so I wait patiently. I continue to wait. I continue to wait. By this time, any average man could've peed four times and washed his hands five times. I rattle the doorknob again to make sure the door is really locked. I continue to wait. My patience eventually wears thin, so I lean up against the door and say loudly,

"You had better be giving birth or dying in there, because I swear to god if you are masturbating or shooting up, I am going to kick down this door and kill you."

(Sadly, I never had a chance to meet the adzehole spending 15 minutes in the toilet, because we had to leave).

Possibly no one was inside and you could have gotten the key from the management.

Lucius Alexander

Going to the little palindromedaries room

Possibly no one was inside and you could have gotten the key from the management.

Possibly. Although I saw two women enter and leave the ladies' room in the time I was standing there, and they didn't require a key. Nor was there a sign on the door directing patrons to speak to the management for a key.

In any case I hope the story had a happy ending shortly thereafter in a clean well appointed and above all available room equipped with the necessary plumbing.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that even for Lucius "a clean well appointed room equipped with the necessary plumbing" is an extreme circumlocution.

Housemate's two year old is sitting in his booster seat with one leg draped over the arm of the chair.

"Planking and owling is passé. Warlording is the new planking."

Waiting outside a popular resturant for dinner. There's a little fountain in the courtyard where people sometimes throw coins. Some kids are playing in it. One little girl runs up to her mother, very excited.

Girl: Mommy, mommy, look! I got some money!

Mother: Honey! Put that back! You can't go around stealing other peoples' wishes!

:rofl:

Driving through a mall parking lot with a friend, looking for a space, I see a quartet of... large-ish... older people walking toward us. Side-by-side, they occupy the entire one-way drive lane between spaces. As I slowly approach, they all get an affronted look on their faces and waddle over to my left (driver's side). As they pass my conveniently open window, one woman huffily comments:

Lady: "I guess we can't walk in the road, anymore!.."

Me: "Well, it's not where your fat ass belongs, is it?.."

My buddy laughed so hard I was worried he'd get a nose-bleed.

Driving through a mall parking lot with a friend, looking for a space, I see a quartet of... large-ish... older people walking toward us. Side-by-side, they occupy the entire one-way drive lane between spaces. As I slowly approach, they all get an affronted look on their faces and waddle over to my left (driver's side). As they pass my conveniently open window, one woman huffily comments:

Lady: "I guess we can't walk in the road, anymore!.."

Me: "Well, it's not where your fat ass belongs, is it?.."

My buddy laughed so hard I was worried he'd get a nose-bleed.

My statement for that...

"If I were car-proof, I'd walk in the middle of the road too."

While my friends and I were gaming, The Wife and Boy were watching Curious George. At one point we hear upset crying from the room they were watching it. The next time someone goes upstairs they bring back a report that The Boy was upset about some of the content.

Friend 1: "What could he have a problem with? It doesn't get much more family-friendly then Curious George?"

Friend 2: "What would it take to make George not kid friendly?"

Me: "Curious George visits the meth factory or Bi-Curious George?

Friend 1: (amongst the laughter) You're just wrong...

(Turns out that in the movie, they alter George's origin story, and the Man with the yellow hat starts out trying to get rid of George and is not his best friend, which upset The Boy)

(Turns out that in the movie, they alter George's origin story, and the Man with the yellow hat starts out trying to get rid of George and is not his best friend, which upset The Boy)

What? What movie is this? I mean, in the original book TMWTYH is more of a big white hunter out looking to stock the zoo, which is not the same as being a best friend, but still.

What? What movie is this? I mean' date=' in the original book TMWTYH is more of a big white hunter out looking to stock the zoo, which is not the same as being a best friend, but still.[/quote']

It was the more recent (2006) feature length film. From what The Wife and the Netflix description say, TMWTYH works for a museum, and George stowed away on his boat. When reading the books (and we've read them a lot) out of the whole volume of work, there are what, half a dozen pages where George and TMWTYH aren't best friends forever. And they are only in the original story. Seeing someone actively try to get rid of their best friend was a little much for The Boy.

I'm guessing that most of the movie is fine, and more traditionally George, but The Wife does not like seeing The Boy upset, so the movie went off at that point. We used to watch Shreck in a patchwork fashion for similar reasons. Some scenes (like the rescue from the dragon one) were a little too intense, so got skipped. Eventually The Boy realized everything would be fine and could watch it straight though.

It might have been worth calming down The Boy and explaining that George and TMWTYH had just met and wen't friends yet. The Wife was on duty and did what she thought needed to be done (which was switching to watching a Winnie the Pooh cartoon) Doesn't bother me, as it means that George got returned to Netflix and I get to watch Thor