Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Me: "Did you see my response to [stupid vendor]?"

Young engineer: "Yeah, thanks for sending that, maybe now something will get done."

Me: "That whole email thread read like a Keystone Kops episode."

Young engineer: "What's Keystone Kops?"

Me: *facepalm*

If it makes you feel worse, I don't know what the Keystone Kops are either. ;)

If it makes you feel worse' date=' I don't know what the Keystone Kops are either. ;)[/quote']

Nobody here knows what the Keystone Kops are?!?

What is this, a Keystone Kops movie?

Okay, here goes.

The Keystone Kops were a parody of incompetent policemen, a kind of collective stock character or running gag in movies made about a hundred years ago. They started in silent movies and lasted a few years after sound came in. The archetypal Keystone Kops scene would feature a manic, slapstick chase, with the Kops getting in one another's way, blundering around, taking pratfalls, looking in all the wrong places, and perhaps finally catching their quarry only to learn they'd been chasing the wrong person. Cops as clowns, basically.

They became a byword for incompetence or ineffectiveness, and particularly for such things as a team failing by interfering with one another, a series of errors (rapidly) compounding one another, or swift and forceful actions that could be called admirably decisive if they didn't flow from skewed priorities, a poor sense of proportion, or a complete misunderstanding.

So when Old Man says

Me: "Did you see my response to [stupid vendor]?"

Young engineer: "Yeah, thanks for sending that, maybe now something will get done."

Me: "That whole email thread read like a Keystone Kops episode."

Young engineer: "What's Keystone Kops?"

Me: *facepalm*

I think he means that [stupid vendor] has been frustratingly incompetent in a "Lots of mistakes piling up one after another" way, a "Lots of energy expended in the wrong direction way" or a "Lack of comprehension or of communication has everyone working at cross purposes" way. Or all three.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that [stupid vendor] must have really great marketing, given how popular stupid is. I wish I had some [stupid vendor] stock, people are always buying stupid.

And now you've ruined everyone else's "Fun With Google" time. :P

Yes, I already knew what the term meant, even though I've only ever seem very brief clips of the old silent films. The Police Academy films could almost be considered a somewhat more modern descendant.

• 2 weeks later...

Female colleague, for whom I had to cover her lab class yesterday due to her having laryngitis, about her voice:

"It's coming back. I still sound a bit like Demi Moore after a bender, but I can make do."

This conversation happened years ago while watching the Powerpuff Girls with my sister:

Me: I never remember their names correctly. I always remember them as Blossom, Buttercup and Old Spice. :doi:

Sister: Poor Bubbles... she became Old Spice!

Nobody here knows what the Keystone Kops are?!?

I do, but I cultivate knowledge of obscure historic silliness.

Of course, these days I expect no one grasps the meaning of the protagonist's line in Roger Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand when he calls one of the other characters "the Lon Chaney of the interstellar set".

• 2 weeks later...

Facilities Manager: God. If one more contractor comes up to me and says, "Your receptionist is so cute!", I swear...

Me: Well, she is pretty cute.

Him: Yeah, but most of these guys are old enough to be her grandfather. I'm like, "Keep it in your friggin' pants, grampa!" :rolleyes:[/QUote]

Tell me again what industry it is you work in?

Lucius Alexander

Take your palindromedary to work day

Facilities Manager: God. If one more contractor comes up to me and says, "Your receptionist is so cute!", I swear...

Him: Yeah, but most of these guys are old enough to be her grandfather. I'm like, "Keep it in your friggin' pants, grampa!" :rolleyes:

Geezers need love too!

Him: Yeah, but most of these guys are old enough to be her grandfather. I'm like, "Keep it in your friggin' pants, grampa!" :rolleyes:

I'm only enough to be her dad, put in a good word for me.