Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

In Accounting class, we were preparing a materiels purchase budget for a hypothetical company making frozen pizzas.

After the instructor finished leading us through the exercise, I got a laugh by saying "That's a lot of dough."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants one of those hypothetical pizzas

"My friend in Hawaii needs to replace his drivers license"

"And we know how hard finding a birth certificate can be."

Okay. I can understand stumbling over, say, "Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia." That's a mouthful.

But how does someone manage to mangle "pediatric catastrophic illness" into (!?) patriotic castrophobic illness??

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary puts in a good word for St Jude's Children's Research Hospital and even manages to pronounce it

"First and foremost: It's pronounced 'NUKE-lee-ur', not 'NUKE-ya-ler'. 'NUKE-lee-ur' has reference to the nucleus of an atom. 'NUKE-ya-ler' has reference to nothing at all because it isn't a real word, despite what you may have heard from our previous President. Say it correctly in my class, please."

-Me, to my Honors Chemistry classes this week

Me:

Libya has the potential, if the political situation stabilizes, to see explosive growth in tourism. If the political situation destabilizes, Libya will merely see plenty of explosives but little growth or tourism.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests that Libya is a good place for the Old Man to go battlecruising

More tourist explosions, even. :P

"First and foremost: It's pronounced 'NUKE-lee-ur'' date=' [b']not[/b] 'NUKE-ya-ler'. 'NUKE-lee-ur' has reference to the nucleus of an atom. 'NUKE-ya-ler' has reference to nothing at all because it isn't a real word, despite what you may have heard from our previous President. Say it correctly in my class, please."

-Me, to my Honors Chemistry classes this week

If I was a physicist, I'd be on the lookout for some new particle to call a nucule. It seems kind of perverse, in that nucular would become a genuine word, but then at least people would have to get their pronunciation correct if they wanted to be clear what they were talking about.

My folks were up visiting on my dad's birthday.

Me: Look, I even made a birthday cake using Nana's recipe (holding up a box of Betty Crocker's angel food cake mix)

Mom: No, she used Duncan Hines.

(I normally scratch bake cakes, but I was trying to follow my grandmother's recipe for my dad...)

You have my sympathy. I am still learning to just smile and say thank you when someone cooks for me or does something for me or gives me a gift even if it is not perfect or not what I want. Even if it is useless. I will know I have made real progress when I stop throwing plates back at people who put pickles on them or on the sandwich.

Also the Dunkin' Hines that existed in your Nana's day bore not the slightest resemblance to the mixture of chemicals, artificial colors, artificial flavors and sixteen tons of High-Fructose Corn Syrup that fills their boxes today.

The kids are watching TV when the trailer for the Avengers movie comes on:

"Hey, was that Captain America?"

"It is! And there's Iron Man!"

"Are they going to show Thor?"

"There he is! And there's the Hulk! Wow!"

To my knowledge, these kids have never seen a Marvel comic book, let alone read one. I am so proud.

The kids are watching TV when the trailer for the Avengers movie comes on:

"Hey, was that Captain America?"

"It is! And there's Iron Man!"

"Are they going to show Thor?"

"There he is! And there's the Hulk! Wow!"

To my knowledge, these kids have never seen a Marvel comic book, let alone read one. I am so proud.

:thumbup:

You have my sympathy. I am still learning to just smile and say thank you when someone cooks for me or does something for me or gives me a gift even if it is not perfect or not what I want. Even if it is useless. I will know I have made real progress when I stop throwing plates back at people who put pickles on them or on the sandwich.

Also the Dunkin' Hines that existed in your Nana's day bore not the slightest resemblance to the mixture of chemicals, artificial colors, artificial flavors and sixteen tons of High-Fructose Corn Syrup that fills their boxes today.

I probably should have put in some joking smilies, as the whole exchange was very tongue in cheek. I'm not even sure if I (or anyone) could tell the difference between brands. It's all just puffed sugar foam. What really makes the cake is the orange frosting, which is homemade.

A few years ago when my dad was up for his birthday, I was going to go all out and scratch bake an angel food cake. When I asked my mom for the recipe, she told me she used a box, and that my grandmother had been using a box mix for my dad's birthday cake for as long as she had known him.

What really gets me is The Boy wants a yellow cake for his birthday, rather then a chocolate one. At least he's not asking for pie...