Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Can you quantify that rage with Agility Index Measurements? Or the Agility Measurement Index? What is your project velocity?

Lets have a sprint or a jog or a marathon -- perhaps we can have a dash instead. Also a scrum, and a pookledeepoo and some other nonsense words. It's simple, a project manager said: How can I justify my pointless job? I know, I'll create a BS method that creates more work and more paperwork and more meetinsg so it looks like I'm super busy while standing by and watching people who actually work.

My Boss: What we need to do is to do away with the capacity manager position and then use that position to hire someone with Problem managements experience, who is good with research and reporting data, training experience, and a good presence in meetings.

Vimes: *Freezes in his tracks* Who do you know with that skillset?

My Boss: *laughs* You.

Vimes: *touching his nose* Not it.

My Boss: What we need to do is to do away with the capacity manager position and then use that position to hire someone with Problem managements experience, who is good with research and reporting data, training experience, and a good presence in meetings.

Vimes: *Freezes in his tracks* Who do you know with that skillset?

My Boss: *laughs* You.

Vimes: *touching his nose* Not it.

I've dodged similar bullets. I refuse to be peter-principled.

I've dodged similar bullets. I refuse to be peter-principled.

Oh, I'd take it, but (A) I'm not finished making my department perfect enough to hand it off. (B) I'd need a senior director title and the bonuses that go with it. © A bigger office. (D) $20k more a year. -- Because making a department out of what was described to me is not going to be easy and would require three people to replace me once I built it.

So, yeah, Peter Principle :)

Oh, I'd take it, but (A) I'm not finished making my department perfect enough to hand it off. (B) I'd need a senior director title and the bonuses that go with it. © A bigger office. (D) $20k more a year. -- Because making a department out of what was described to me is not going to be easy and would require three people to replace me once I built it.

So, yeah, Peter Principle :)

Heh, you want Peter Principle? Why are you (A) striving to make your department perfect enough to be handed off, when (B) the odds favor it winding up in the "capable" hands of some slobbering nitwit who'll decide that his/her vision of perfection is more perfect, and unravel everything you've accomplished... messily?

That depressing little quibble aside... yes, go for the bigger office with the bigger money! :)

Heh, you want Peter Principle? Why are you (A) striving to make your department perfect enough to be handed off, when (B) the odds favor it winding up in the "capable" hands of some slobbering nitwit who'll decide that his/her vision of perfection is more perfect, and unravel everything you've accomplished... messily?

That depressing little quibble aside... yes, go for the bigger office with the bigger money! :)

I dunno, I got involuntarily Peter Principled a few years back and have been pretty damn miserable ever since. Especially since I bought a mortgage with the higher income.

Mainly because as a senior director I would manage my replacement :)