Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Starmada (an old version) from Majestic 12 Games. When one of your weapons hits an enemy ship, you roll to see if it penetrates the shields before allocating damage. The target ship could have absorbed the hit without taking damage.

Edit: I have this game: Starmada Compendium

Interesting. I have played many space combat games--Silent Death, B5 Wars, Starfire, Battlefleet Gothick, Star Frontiers, Full Thrust, and of course SFB. So I'm always interested to hear about other systems.

Purrdence: I got up and went looking for you but you weren't there.

Me: I know. I'd been called into work. I told you.

Purrdence: Oh. I thought I'd dreamed that bit.

Me: Probably.

Purrdence: So.. the bit where Sir Ian MacKellan was dancing a post-modern ballet in a trenchcoat? That was a dream?

Me: Most likely.

Purrdence: Pity... he was good....

• 2 weeks later...

Me: Baby V has another tooth coming in. I'm hoping it will be an enormous tusk, to rip out the bellies of her enemies with.

Him: You have some unrealistic expectations as a parent.

Me: All parents do. "My baby's going to grow up to be president! My baby's going to be a world-famous pianist! My baby is going to be the quarterback for the Jets!" Honestly, which of us truly has the least unrealistic expectations?

Him: Yeah, you're right. Tusks are definitely more realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife (to older boy): "Next year you'll be old enough to run for student government yourself. Think you might want to do that?"

Boy: "Sure!"

Wife: "What do you want to be? President? Vice president? Treasurer?"

Boy: "Secret police!"

(As it happens, he meant Secret Service, which is still cool though it lacks the supervillain aspects of his original answer.)

Doctor Strangelove is a little different when you are as old as I am. And when you lived on a SAC base in the early 1970s.

I was painfully aware from my teen-aged years on that we lived well within the blast radius of anything sent to destroy the local military bases, one of which was Mather AFB.

My dad's last duty station was K. I. Sawyer AFB. In the early 80's there were protests about Project ELF outside of the base. The common argument was that it would make the area a target for a nuclear strike.

K. I. was home to the bomber wing that would be flying to Russia via the north pole. The nuclear arsenal there was already a target.

In a sick kind of way I miss the constant threat of instant nuclear annihilation in the '70s and '80s. It lent a certain immediacy to everyday life.

Sometimes I look back at the history of that time, things like Dead Hand and the various false alarms, and I wonder how you humans have managed to survive this long.

My dad's last duty station was K. I. Sawyer AFB. In the early 80's there were protests about Project ELF outside of the base. The common argument was that it would make the area a target for a nuclear strike.

K. I. was home to the bomber wing that would be flying to Russia via the north pole. The nuclear arsenal there was already a target.

My mom worked at Forces Command in Atlanta and then Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville. Kids today have no idea what it was like.