Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

When discussing a former co-worker with my boss.

Me: "When he doesn't bother to call or show up for a week, it means he quit. If he doesn't understand that then he's a moron. Even if he is your nephew."

Boss Laughs. "I know he is but you should be nice!"

Me: "He doesn't work here anymore, so I don't have to."

Boss laughs even harder.

I should point out that any boss who laughs her butt off and agrees when you call her nephew a moron is a good person to work for. Especially when you are me.

So what happened?

We rewrote the program to allow for three crops (actually, it can take as many crops as the admin sets up). Three weeks, almost full time on the project. However, since we could prove that the whole thing had been defined as 2 from the get go, the client paid for the modifications. The next phase is making the summary pages display more than 2 crops. He will also be paying for that.

I felt like I won one with this guy!

• 3 weeks later...

Last night:

Me: "Okay, the kids are finally sleeping."

Her: "Oh, I forgot to tell you, they still need to finish their homework."

Me: "What the hell?!  You were home with them all day long.  You didn't bathe them, or feed them, or do their homework, or get rid of all this crap that's been on the dining table for three months.  I put in nine hours on a doomed project, then raced home to feed and bathe the kids for you, and now I have to do a sink full of dishes and take out all the trash, and now I have to wake the kids up early tomorrow morning and force them to do their homework when it's already a struggle to get them to school on time every morning?!  F___ ___."  "Fantastic."

Last night:

Me: "Okay, the kids are finally sleeping."

Her: "Oh, I forgot to tell you, they still need to finish their homework."

Me: "What the hell?!  You were home with them all day long.  You didn't bathe them, or feed them, or do their homework, or get rid of all this crap that's been on the dining table for three months.  I put in nine hours on a doomed project, then raced home to feed and bathe the kids for you, and now I have to do a sink full of dishes and take out all the trash, and now I have to wake the kids up early tomorrow morning and force them to do their homework when it's already a struggle to get them to school on time every morning?!  F___ ___."  "Fantastic."

When I was the spouse f-ing up like that, I was having some serious clinical depression.  The very best of luck to you.

Yesterday there was an attendance-mandatory session on what to do in the event of an armed, actively shooting intruder.

Predictably with our hopelessly messed-up tech infrastructure, the presenter had problems with his Powerpoint, which led to an exchange I found amusingly apropos for the intended topic:

"Escape out of it."

"It's not responding."

That first line was, of course, meaning "press the escape key to abort whatever it thinks it's doing," but...

Yesterday there was an attendance-mandatory session on what to do in the event of an armed, actively shooting intruder.

Predictably with our hopelessly messed-up tech infrastructure, the presenter had problems with his Powerpoint, which led to an exchange I found amusingly apropos for the intended topic:

"Escape out of it."

"It's not responding."

That first line was, of course, meaning "press the escape key to abort whatever it thinks it's doing," but...

I'm imagining the irony if someone had pulled out a handgun and shot the computer...

The children's program at church involves superheroes this year. I was uncomfortable with this because it mixes Marvel and DC characters. But that's beside the point. It's also beside the point that the Hulk player will wear a savage Hulk costume but have a style of speech closer to the Professor and Joe Fixit.

Yesterday, my wife, who is directing, was talking to the kid playing Cap.

"You've had the script for a month. When I made you Captain America, you assured me you would learn your lines."

"I know."

"Look, you're the main character here. Without you, this falls apart. With great power comes great responsibility."