Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

That's astonishing.  Superheroes are basically banned at the Sunday school and the Baptist preschool that my kids go/went to.  Halloween is banned too.  There is no way in hell that Captain America would be central to a church play here.

The supers travel through time in search of the greatest hero of them all (it's rather funny how Hulk is concerned that "the new guy" will take over his niche). They arrive in a small settlement and direct a woman who looks about to go into labor any moment to a nearby inn.

My sons are playing Spiderman and Iron Man. One of Spiderman's lines is: "'I will save you from death innocent civilian, but Jesus will save you with God's love.' Yeah, that's a good new battle cry."

From a long mailing-list conversation about instructors prohibiting use of laptops during lecture, and following an item that about banning cell phone use as well:

>

> I have banned laptops and cell phones from all my classes for years.

> One reason I give (besides {{name redacted}}'s excellent research) is that my

> classes are highly interactive and devices will keep them from fully

> engaging in the class. I have a handful of complaints but the vast

> majority of students agree with those in the op-ed that they prefer it.

>

> - {{name redacted}}

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

Bolding added by me.

We were watching an episode of Little House on the Prairie the other day. Pa and Ma were going on a trip but the lady who was going to watch the girls was sick. Ma was ready to stay home when Mr. Edwards showed up, heard what was going on, and volunteered to watch the girls.

Pa: I don't know why I didn't think of you first! We'd love that.

The look on Ma's face told me that she had just blown her first SAN roll and then made the second so that she could see the implications of what she had learned.

• 4 weeks later...

Mom, two brothers, and me walking to the car after sister's birthday celebration. Fiercely slippery, with melted water on ice. Mom grabs oldest brother's arm to steady herself.

"That's nice," says I, "when you fall, he'll have something soft to land on."

Mom laughs and punches my shoulder.

"Oh mom," says younger brother, "you completely missed his head."

For those who don't remember, I work on a Navy base.

Pilot trainee: Do you have any paper for the printer?

Me: The printer with the big sign on it?

Pilot: Yes, that one.

Me: Did you happen to read the sign?

Pilot: Yes, it said "out of ink".  What does that have to do with whether or not you have any paper.

Chief Petty Officer: You graduated from the Naval Academy, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Purrdence back from her month in the US. Among the places she visited, Madame Tussauds in NYC

Purrdence
: "I kept thinking I was in the way of someone's photo, then turning around and going 'no, that's a wax model of Andy Warhol'. It was a bit creepy actually."

She also went to see a van Gogh exhibition. Given the excellent Dr Who episode "Vincent and the Doctor", some things were probably inevitable.

Purrdence
: I kept looking around for the Doctor, and he wasn't there.

Me
: Well, it was an excellent episode

Purrdence
: I know. I can't hear Starry Starry Night without crying. Which is a bit embarrassing at the post office.

The daughters of one of her friends were quite impressed by her too, especially she used her Teacher Voice on them

"More scary than Mom."

I was wondering how she'd handle the change from NYC, which was suffering Winter Storm Janus and -30C windchill when she left, but she spent a day in LA, which was suffering a 30+ heatwave (in January!!!!!) so Perth was actually slightly colder when she got home.

Purrdence
: You want to know what the weirdest part of driving around LA was?

Me
: Eucalypts.

Purrdence
: Right.

Me
: Yes, seeing photos of gumtrees overseas always throws me for a loop too.

Purrdence
: Between the trees and the smoke from the bushfires, I kept thinking I was back in Perth.

I was attending a surgical procedure to deal with an abdominal aortic aneurysm. Towards the end, the operators are very careful about padding retroperitoneal fat between the new graft and the gut, and I ask why.

"Because if the aorta is exposed to, say, the duodenum, the pulsing will cause chafing and the patient will end up with an aoroduodenal fistula. That is not beneficial."

Shadow Hawk: Ensign Newpilot flunked his flight safety quiz.

CDR Oldpilot: How did he manage it.

Shadow Hawk: The safe altitude over downtown San Diego is NOT three feet, Commander.

CDR Oldpilot: Oh good lord.

Non Aircrew PO: Sir, if you're flying three feet over downtown, do you have to obey traffic signals?

CDR Olfpilot: Shutup, Petty Officer.