Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

GotG was relatively long and his attention span is relatively short because he's, like, six.  And I get the feeling that the Battle of Xandar takes up the last half hour of the movie, and comes right after the fight at Knowhere, which also had plenty of explosions.

Mostly though, that particular kid's entertainment cortex is geared more towards humor than violence.  Unlike his older brother.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a quote, but this seemed the most appropriate place to share it.

A few days back I took my dad back to the independent / assisted living place where he lives, and on my way out saw a magazine rack.  They had the AARP magazine on it, directly in front of another magazine whose title started with "L" but the rest of the word was hidden by the AARP magazine.  And from a distance, the two magazines looked like one, with the title "LAARP."

All the way home, my gamer mind was imagining these men and women in their 70s, 80s, and 90s zipping around in wheelchairs and walkers, dueling with three-pronged canes while playing a live-action role playing game.

That's how I want to spend my declining years.  :)

Not a quote, but this seemed the most appropriate place to share it.

A few days back I took my dad back to the independent / assisted living place where he lives, and on my way out saw a magazine rack.  They had the AARP magazine on it, directly in front of another magazine whose title started with "L" but the rest of the word was hidden by the AARP magazine.  And from a distance, the two magazines looked like one, with the title "LAARP."

All the way home, my gamer mind was imagining these men and women in their 70s, 80s, and 90s zipping around in wheelchairs and walkers, dueling with three-pronged canes while playing a live-action role playing game.

That's how I want to spend my declining years.  :)

Sounds good to me!

Me: The current model of the atom is called the quantum mechanical model. It doesn't have anyone's name on it, because no one person came up with it. A lot of people worked on it. Bohr gave us the basic idea, but others contributed to it: Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrodinger, Albert Einstein....

Student: Did Schrodinger's cat contribute to it?

Me: Well, yes and no.

Me: The current model of the atom is called the quantum mechanical model. It doesn't have anyone's name on it, because no one person came up with it. A lot of people worked on it. Bohr gave us the basic idea, but others contributed to it: Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrodinger, Albert Einstein....

BTW, the most recent issue of American Scientist, if you can get it, has a great article on Moseley and his contributions that's relevant to that discussion.

I had to go home on my lunch break today to take the car back to Lady Pariah (long story). I got back just after the 3rd period bell rang, so I found my whole class outside my door waiting for me. I let them in and once they got settled, I told them this:

"I apologize for keeping you waiting today. I was unavoidably detained. I can't go into detail, but if you hear anything on the news about North Korea, I had nothing to do with that."

I got a few grins. And a lot of blank stares, sadly.

I think that student was a shill and you arranged for her to feed you that straight line.

Lucius Alexander

Introducing Schrodinger to a palindromedary

There was the time when I happened to discussing the geology of Venus in class on the 5th of May. Venus has some not-fully-understood features called coronas. I realized what was happening (and this too was completely unplanned), and I stopped in mid-sentence, looked up into the large lecture room, and said, "Somehow it seems appropriate to be discussing Coronas on Cinco de Mayo," and then continued with the lecture. There was no reaction from the students, and while I can think of a number of reasons why there might not be, I was surprised that I got nothing out of a room with 300 people in it. Oh well.

Conversation outside my office door, where two students (one each male and female) are talking while sitting on a bench waiting for lab to open.

"... and I get home and like there is a game of, like, strip Truth Or Dare going on in the front room, and like my roommate is all apologetic, but like ..."

Then another student walks up and the topic of conversation changes.

:nonp: