Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Some guys at work are running a PathFinder game, my office mate is one of them. The other day, J came in to talk about latest character.

J: I'm building a new monk. They just have so many options I want to try! I can do this or this or even this! I'm planning on taking X bonus feats and going down Y path.

T: Sounds interesting.

J: He'll probably be killed quickly. Then I'll just make another monk. I do that frequently.

Me: To quote Belkar Bitterleaf, "It's not my fault your core class is fundamentally broken. So you can attack four times per round? Do any of them actually hit?"

• 2 weeks later...

I was given a small project to work on while my manager is on vacation this week. (NOTE to self: Never, ever, again admit that I know Access.) This is to fix a current program not write a new one. After some work, I figured out the problem. The program in question links to databases made with an older version that the new one cannot open. If this program had come to us for updating even just last month, we could have fixed it easily as some programmers (me among them) still had Access 2010 on their computers just in case this very thing happened. After taking note of the issue, cause, and solution, I went to see our help desk people.

Marcus: Frank! How's it going?

Frank: Well...

M: That's not a good sign.

F: Right. I have an odd request. I have a program to fix that was written in an older version of Access that my current version cannot read. Do we have any machine that still has Access 2010?

M [eyes get wide]: I don't think so. Let me ask Brux.

[While he goes back, I strike up a conversation with the girl at the counter. It turns out she uses this program I'm working on and recognized it when I told Marcus the error message. So glad made no comments about it beyond its obvious age. Moments later]

B: Frank! Come back here. Now, what do you need?

F: I know you've been phasing out Access 2010 installations, but I was just given a program to fix that links to another DB written in Access '97 and never upgraded. By design, Access 2013 cannot read '97 files.

B [closes eyes, thinking about all the emails he sent out over the last year imploring users to test all of the programs they use in 2013 or have someone in IT test it in 2013.]: That's usually a good thing.

F: Yes. [As we are talking, I notice that everyone in the help desk is gravitating towards the conversation]

B: Can 2003 read it?

F: Microsoft said 2010 or prior can read it and convert it.

B: Hey, Trent, do we have any VMs with Office 2010?

T: No.

B: Set one up, and give Frank rights.

F: Thank you.

Soooo...  We have a new winter storm approaching.  Winter Storm Thor.

I was wondering how much Marvel paid to have that name inserted into the list, and pointed out to my daughter that this begs the need to have Hurricane Hulk.

She said, "No, we need Winter Storm Bucky.  'It'll be tough, but we'll have to Soldier on...'"

There used to be a "Quote of the Day" thread, but I just found it's been archived.

So, that leaves this thread.

Here's a quote from someone who understands the value of an education:

"It is extremely valuable to train the mind to stand apart and examine its

own program. That, to me, is the definition of a liberal education - the

ability to examine the programs of life against larger questions and

purposes and other paradigms. Training, without such education, narrows and

closes the mind so that the assumptions underlying the training are never

examined. That's why it is so valuable to read broadly and to expose

yourself to great minds." Stephen R. Covey

And here's something you can quote me on:

"The greatest failure of our educational system may be the number of people who literally do not even know what an education is, let alone recognize its value."

Lucius Alexander

And an educated palindromedary