Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Me to wife: Do I need to go to the store tonight for that pork sale?

Wife: No. I'll go tomorrow to get it for last night's soup. [Pause as she realized what she said]

Me: Umm...

Wife: I meant that, you know. I'm really Lady Flash. I'll just run through time to get it.

Me (while thinking, you would look incredibly hot in red spandex but knowing not to say it): Aren't you worried about wrecking the timeline?

Wife: It's pork and it's already dead. Whether it's in last night's soup or tomorrow's sandwich doesn't matter.

Me: The timeline is a tricky thing. You never know what could set it off.

Wife: I meant that, you know. I'm really Lady Flash. I'll just run through time to get it.

Me (while thinking, you would look incredibly hot in red spandex but knowing not to say it):

I think it's lovely that you feel that way about your wife. And a little sad that you can't tell her.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doesn't understand but accepts that it could be the flash point of an argument.

My wife and I drove up to Michigan's upper peninsula (Houghton, to be specific) to move our daughter back home for the summer after her first year as a university student.  Found ourselves with a few hours to kill Friday, and headed to Houghton's mall to wander around.  Not many stores open there at all, and of those one was a consignment store and another sold secondhand curios. 

Note that my daughter is a big fan of the former SyFy show Warehouse 13.  (If you're not familiar with it, the main characters traveled all over collecting powerful artifacts to lock them away so they wouldn't endanger innocents.  Stuff like Edgar Allen Poe's pen, binoculars used to view the Hiroshima explosion, etc.)

Wife:  (pointing to curio shop)  Let's go in there.

Daughter:  No way!  That place looks like "artifact central."

Wife:  (turns toward the consignment store)  Okay, then we'll check that place out.

Daughter:  Nope.  A place like that is bound to have an artifact or two lying around!

Me:  What, you don't want to play with an artifact?

Daughter:  Right, dad, cuz that always ended so well for the people who did it in the show.

We did end up going through the curio shop, with her and I speculating on what the various things there would do as artifacts.

"Psychic derangements may appear ... ranging from euphoria, insomnia, mood swings, personality changes, and severe depression, to frank psychotic manifestations. Also, existing emotional instability or psychotic tendencies may be aggravated ...."

We did end up going through the curio shop, with her and I speculating on what the various things there would do as artifacts.

Did you take pictures?

That would be an interesting thread - post pictures of curiosities, and mass-speculate on how to use them in a game...

Of course, I still can't post pictures, so I'd just speculate.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that "artifact" literally just means "man-made"

Did you take pictures?

Unfortunately, no.  There was a lot of interesting-looking stuff for which I could easily come up with in-game abilities.  For instance, a bunch of old cameras, including one way-old accordion-style camera.  A half-dozen walking canes (one creepy-looking one with the handle being an animal's hoof that would be an excellent focus for an evil wizard).  Glass globe paperweights with things embedded within.  That sort of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rage filled, fast breeding meat locomotives with facedaggers that destroy millions of dollars worth of crops every year and maim or kill anything they don't like

To waste, to destroy, our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed.

-- Theodore Roosevelt, his seventh State of the Union address

"We use the phrase 'undeveloped land' as if we were speaking of something that's lain unworked and unproductive since always, but that's not the case. We just mean 'undeveloped by Humans.' Nature, or God, or however you want to express it, has been developing it for thousands or even millions of years."

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Got home from a family lunch today needing to mow the yard. Last week was vacation Bible school in the evenings, so it wasn't done. Yesterday had plenty of errands. When I got home at 2:30, I checked the forecast. 5% chance of rain from 3-7. Great! I helped my wife with some things in the kitchen and then got into my grubbies to mow.

I stepped outside and felt a drop. "Tis but a sprinkle. At worst, a cloud burst. I'll move the things that need to be moved for mowing while it blows over." I looked across the neighbor's hay field and saw it was really coming down. "Of all the times to roll a natural 1."