Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

• 1 month later...

Gaming group (incomplete turnout) on Dec 30, so we're playing Fiasco (with the scene being in the Harry Dresden version of Chicago).

"[player name], you are just doomed. You are sitting between the guy who is only happy when he has the most lethal character at the table, and the guy who is happiest when he is playing a character who is full-bore f***ing bat**** insane. Those are the people with whom you have relationships in the game."

• 1 month later...

Wife: So I've entered a broth challenge.

Me: Really?!

Wife: Yes. Are you interested.

Me: Most definitely!

Wife: I'm surprised.

Me: Why are you surprised?

Wife: Well, you just aren't a fan of broth most days.

Me: Broth? Like chicken broth?

Wife: Yeah. I make different recipes of broth each weekend, and drink 8 ounces a day. What did you think I said?

Me: Bra.

Wife: Bra? How would a bra challenge work?

Me: I don't know, but I really want to find out!

For some reason I dimly recall a video of a projectile laucher (foe, e.g., water balloons) made of bras, but I am worried enough that it is merely a figment of my imagination that I am not going to do the web search to find it.

The double-barreled water balloon slingshot? Yeah, that sounds familiar.

• 2 weeks later...

(I'd been in the optics lab, running a fun little demo using a steel ruler as a diffraction grating, measuring things, and determining the wavelength of laser light with that; the room has to be dark for much of it, so I had my hand-length inch-diameter LED flashlight in my front pants pocket, and forgot to turn it off. Then out in the hall:...

"Hey, Dr. {Cancer}, you've got a light in your pants."

I look down, see it, and reply: "Oh, that's my ... well, never mind what it is."

"One would think that after fifty years I'd become accustomed to it. Sometimes I wish I could. But I haven't.

I'm still trapped on a planet full of insane people, and it still terrifies me and sometimes makes me nauseous."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary unhelpfully points out that not only are most of them raving mad, lots of them are idiots as well. Then the other end asks how sure I am of my own grip on sanity. Given I'm talking to a two headed camel, it may have a point.

"A place that has remarkably stupid rules is probably a place best avoided whatever else it has going for it."

Lucius Alexander

Even if it has a palindromedary

A corollary - a person that has remarkably stupid rules is probably a person best avoided whatever else they have going for them.

Lucius Alexander

No palindromedaries aloud

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Sometimes I feel as if I've been walking blindfolded in a minefield without realizing it.

Recently I've started to wonder if I still am....

Lucius Alexander

I'd never have made it this far without a palindromedary