Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

From a colleague's email after we'd had a discussion about grading student essays:

If it gives you some sense of where I'm at after a full afternoon of grading [course number] essays: for a brief moment this is the quote that I thought you were referring to:

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."  -H. L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

From a conversation last night with a non-gamer friend who is super-outdoorsy. Gaming came up somehow...

Me: "I know it's geeky as hell, but I do enjoy it."

She: "Aren't all hobbies a little geeky tho? I mean what do I really get out of my hiking obsession?"

Me: "Besides good exercise, being really healthy, looking great, getting lots of fresh air, connecting with nature..."

She: "Well...yeah."

Me: "I mean I appreciate what you're trying to do. But not all hobbies are equally geeky; I'm cool with that"

She: "OK, fair enough."

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Pariah said:

Student: "Would you consider light two-dimensional? An what would three-dimensional light look like?"

Me: "What color would you identify as red-sharp, and would that the same color as orange-flat?"

OT: I would have gone into the concept of circularly polarized light (both handednesses) here.

• 2 weeks later...