Do you play CO as an MMO?

freshrod

Re: Do you play CO as an MMO?

Again you're limiting the definition of "needing others" to mean that you must group up. I gave other examples of "needing others" that have nothing to do with grouping (healing battle fatigue, or wounds PRIOR to going out adventuring, needing equipment from other players).

The reason I want it forced on others, is depending on other people is the harder road, it's frustrating at times and takes much more time. If there was an easy road and a hard road, not many would choose the harder of the two. How would it be fair to have one group toil through, while another gets the same thing taking an easier path?

It is still a case of you wanting to find a game that forces people to play it the way you like to play, rather than the way they like to play. I have no problems with you wanting to play however you want. It boggles my mind that people would want not only to be able to play how they want, but to force other people to play that way too. Seems more that just a little selfish to me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone plays the game for the same reasons. Demanding that others play the game your way is pure selfishness. Sorry' date=' but it's the truth.[/quote']

Wow everyone needs to take a deep breath. I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret. I have absolutely no say in what happens to this game. Doesn't matter what I say, they don't listen to me. Now that should seem self evident, but from the responses, I'm not entirely sure you all get that.

That said, all I'm doing is talking about the game I want to play. I can't force any of you to play the same game (again, that should be obvious, but judging from the responses, I seem to be attributed more power than I actually have). I simply stated in order for a game to make me want to pay monthly for it, I want there be a reason to do so, otherwise it's simply a single player game. You don't agree with that, great, you seem to be the majority (if I were to use your logic, I would call all of you selfish for not wanting to play in the game I would like.) .

Wow everyone needs to take a deep breath. I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret. I have absolutely no say in what happens to this game. Doesn't matter what I say, they don't listen to me. Now that should seem self evident, but from the responses, I'm not entirely sure you all get that.

That said, all I'm doing is talking about the game I want to play. I can't force any of you to play the same game (again, that should be obvious, but judging from the responses, I seem to be attributed more power than I actually have). I simply stated in order for a game to make me want to pay monthly for it, I want there be a reason to do so, otherwise it's simply a single player game. You don't agree with that, great, you seem to be the majority (if I were to use your logic, I would call all of you selfish for not wanting to play in the game I would like.) .

Yup. This is how the threads over in the CoH forums usually ended up, too. :D

I'm a funny chap who looks at things through an RP lens' date=' and repeating the same instance over and over again tends to wreck supension of disbelief and the integrity of the story ("wow, the Scarlet Monastery replaced its losses fast!").[/quote']

Actually this is explained in the Bronze Dragonflight/Caverns of Time storylines - the Bronzes are the custodians of the'Aspect' of Time. Their enemies, the Infinite Dragonflight, are constantly shuffling and re-shuffling the timestream and the Bronzes end up sending PCs (with or without knowledge and consent) all around to 'fix' the mistakes. Various NPCs make comments about this, ranging from vague to pointed, including suggestions that the Bronzes do routine mindwipes of the population whenever they 'fix' things.*

I digress. The overall point you make rings true for me (in WoW), though in my case I am lucky to have run into fewer of the power-leveled and unskilled players who don't know the Onyxia fight from a paella. Maybe it's because I favor Horde? ;D (When you have a lower population density, you also have a lower total number of idiots - though I am sure the actual ratio remains the same across the board.)

If your concern is that it is graceless to refuse someone their every whim, empowering people by causing them stand on their own two feet in our silly little MMOs can lead to them empowering themselves in real life. Giving someone greater control of his own destiny is also a form of granting someone grace. It can be as much of a gift as the kind that comes wrapped in a pretty bow.

Bringing it back to Champions Online as an MMO: So far, I've not had anyone beg my higher level character for lair runs or resources, and I am cautiously optimistic that this will continue to be the rule rather than exception. People ask me questions with the assumption that as a higher level character, I have experienced certain things they haven't. It's a fair assumption and is even a little respectful, suggesting that my opinion has merit. The only expectations my SG-mates seem to have of me are for RP and socializing, with grouping up used as a good reason to spark RP and socializing. Maybe part of it is that CO is innately heroic, and heroes don't beg for themselves. Heroes make the extra effort for others. Heroes make the extra effort for themselves, too, even when nobody else is watching, because they are heroes; it is the right thing to do.

-----

* Before anyone says, "8, you spend WAY too much time playing WoW" - yes I do - "if you know all this!", I had to learn for RP reasons. My Forsaken priestess is a follower of the Bronze Dragonflight. Every spell she casts is the result of manipulating the flow of time, and she hopes to eventually use that magic to help cure her people of the Plague.

Bringing it back to Champions Online as an MMO: So far' date=' I've not had anyone beg my higher level character for lair runs or resources[/quote']

I've seen a considerable amount of 'looking for help' messages, but they're usually (a) general, and (B) not specifically looking for higher level assist, they're just looking for a appropriate-level group to finish off a challenging quest.

I've seen a considerable amount of 'looking for help' messages' date=' but they're usually (a) general, and (B) not specifically looking for higher level assist, they're just looking for a appropriate-level group to finish off a challenging quest.[/quote']

Yeah, I too have been surprised by the lack of beggars. I don't really mind helping so much in this game, since most missions are over pretty quickly. In fact, if you have a good group, you can bounce between two open instances racking up the XP pretty nicely.

Actually, if you were to use my logic you would want everyone to be able to play the game however they want. Within the limitation of not forcing their idea of what is fun on other people. I have no problems at all with people who like interacting with others, whether it is grouping or getting healing/buffs from them before questing, or whatever.

I'm not calling you selfish for not wanting to play the way I like to play. I'm noting that it seems selfish to want everyone to be forced to play using your preferred style of play.

Yeah' date=' I too have been surprised by the lack of beggars.[/quote']

May have to do with the fact that begging is likely to be spectacularly useless. Equipment is mostly impractical to transfer between characters (a level 35 is unlikely to have any equipment, even trash, lower than level 30) and asking someone to walk in and nuke a mob for you is time-consuming and boring for them, and boring for you.

That's encouraging news, but, for example, I've been led to believe the game already has some sort of crafting (defined as building items which can then be "sold" to other players).

While I can see that sort of activity as feasible in a fantasy-based MMO, it just doesn't fit, IMO, in the superhero genre. I mean, how many times have we seen Reed Richards or even Tony Stark shilling geegaws on the street corner? :doi:

No, but they build it for themselves; and for sale off panel.