Respecing Might based on Test Server notes

SvZurich

I've been underwhelmed with Retaliation of late as it randomly kicks my foes away, does not linger, and the enrange seems to only apply to the foe who triggered it (and I have no idea who that is when being beat on by mobs). I read the Test Server's patch notes and dev comments, and narrowed it down to either Force's block for endurance and slight lingering, TK's lingering protection from the front (which is bugged and getting nerfed soon, it's linger might only block for 15% as Force's linger does), or PA's Energy Shield. I decided with the Laser Knight Advantage, PA's shield will be almost always active for free. Also dropped Unstoppable for Resurgence as Unbreakable doesn't mitigate nearly as much damage as Resurgence heals for (Resurgence also scales with Con). Lastly, dropped the advantages on Defensive Combo and Clobber as DC will only apply one layer of Defiant, and Clobber's advantage will no longer interrupt foes higher than Villains.

Kara Lokidottir: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:

Level 5: Super Constitution

Level 13: Super Strength

Powers:

Level 1: Clobber

Level 1: Beatdown -- Crippling Challenge

Level 5: Defensive Combo

Level 5: Flight -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Level 8: Invulnerability -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Level 11: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight, Rank 2

Level 14: Roomsweeper -- Concussive Blow

Level 17: Thunderclap -- Challenging Strikes, Punch Drunk

Level 20: Havoc Stomp

Level 23: Uppercut -- Head Trauma, Rank 2

Level 26: Resurgence -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Level 29: Haymaker -- Nullifying Punch

Level 32: Demolish -- Below The Belt

Level 35: Shockwave -- Challenging Strikes, Leg Rumbler

Level 35: Teleport -- Rank 2

Level 38: Hurl -- Rubble Trouble

Talents:

Level 1: Superhuman

Level 6: Jack Of All Trades

Level 9: Survival Training

Level 12: Physical Conditioning

Level 15: Paramilitary Training

Level 18: Discipline Training

Level 21: Covert Ops Training

Re: Respecing Might based on Test Server notes

Love seeing other peoples builds like this, thanks for your comments! I didn't realise Resurgence scaled with Con and took Bountiful Chi for my healing.

I've got to ask (being a mid-20's might): how are you getting on with Clobber at higher levels?

I've never taken it (other than in the beta), and always gone for a ranged energy builder. Now I'm not a powergamer (got rid of sonic blaster just because it didn't feel right for the character), but I can't imagine how tricky it must be with Clobber.

Clobber is fantastic. Remember, I now have energy shield with laser knight. Every punch gives me protection. I regen energy fast and almost always have the shield up mitigating damage without having to block. So long as I close range, I am golden. If a foe flies, I fly up to him. Clobber is a fast regen and scales with my strength. I only lose the shield if I am not attacking.

Changed the powers up a bit. Shockwave will come at 29, Hurl at 32, Demolish, Teleport, then Haymaker last. Love to skip Hurl, but the removal of travel powers screams use me in PVP or when a foe flies and I choose not to climb up to get him.

The nice thing about Hurl is you can add the ... whatever the thing is that cancels travel power. I love having the Thunderbolt Lunge to close distance. It's MA though I believe, and Might has a Punch like it, but the Thunderbolt Lunge can also work as an evade if you are getting pummeled.

The nice thing about Hurl is you can add the ... whatever the thing is that cancels travel power. I love having the Thunderbolt Lunge to close distance. It's MA though I believe' date=' and Might has a Punch like it, but the Thunderbolt Lunge can also work as an evade if you are getting pummeled.[/quote']

Really? I'm about to get rid of Thunderbolt Lunge on my speedster, because I go the wrong way far too often. It just takes a slight miss in timing to be standing still and jump backwards when you want to be moving so you'll attack.

I have a brick character as well, and Mighty Leap seems a lot better.

Roomsweeper is for getting foes off from me. Works well, especially when I want henchmen to give me breathing room while I solo a supervillain. Uppercut is my main attack, often alternated with Beatdown when I want to lower a foe's health fast. Tap Upper, Beatdown, repeat. Haymaker is mainly for the Nullifying Punch advantage, might be used after a Demolish, but mainly to get a foe off from me and to reduce his healing.

Waiting for Nullifying Punch to be fixed with regards to Regen, so it is now my L38 power. I am L26 and working my way up still.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Kara's current plan, she's still godly tough at L29.

Build by championBuilder 0.3.2

Download this Build here.

Kara Lokidottir: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:

Powers:

Level 1: Clobber

Level 1: Beatdown -- Crippling Challenge

Level 5: Flight -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Level 11: Energy Shield -- Rank 2, Laser Knight

Level 14: Roomsweeper -- Concussive Blow

Level 17: Thunderclap -- Challenging Strikes, Punch Drunk

Level 20: Havoc Stomp

Level 23: Uppercut -- Rank 2, Head Trauma

Level 26: Resurgence -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Level 29: Shockwave -- Challenging Strikes, Leg Rumbler

Level 32: Hurl -- Rubble Trouble

Level 35: Demolish -- Below The Belt

Level 35: Teleport -- Rank 2

Level 38: Haymaker -- Nullifying Punch

Talents:

Level 6: Jack Of All Trades

Level 9: Survival Training

Level 15: Paramilitary Training

Level 18: Discipline Training

Level 21: Covert Ops Training

Remember, Roomsweeper and Havoc Stomp give Enraged stacks. Defensive Combo grants 1 stack of Defiance on top of Invulnerable and allows you to pull aggro off from someone, Beatdown has Crippling Challenge, Uppercut can stun and is my main attack, Demolish reduces their defenses, and Haymaker slows their healing. Hurl is mainly to shut down travel powers.

Here is my build at lvl 29. I was fine with it for soloing, but then went into Dr.D's Robot Factory and got absolutely wrecked. Which was depressing.

Build by championBuilder 0.2.2

Download this Build here.

Miss Adventure: Level 29 Champion

Superstats:

Powers:

Level 1: Force Bolts -- Energy Refraction

Level 1: Beatdown

Level 5: Flight

Level 11: Mighty Leap

Level 14: Uppercut -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism

Level 17: Thunderclap -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes

Level 20: Force Shield

Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence -- Resurgent Reiki

Level 26:

Level 29:

Talents:

Level 6: Mighty

Level 9: Enduring

Level 15: Impressive Physique

Level 18: Intimidating

Level 21: Tireless

I normally run in and Thunderclap to AoE taunt and stun the Henchmen followed by 2 Uppercuts on Villains. Repeat and hope the henchmen don't do their backward shuffle until the big guy is down...

Probably going to take Resurgence for my 26 power, as Bountiful Chi sometimes just doesn't cut it with big damage spikes. But I really can't decide on any others and I'm just finding the 4 or 5 main powers are enough.

Greetings

I don't have a strickly Might character, I like to think of him as a Melee Brawler. Here's what I run:

Abyssal to Start

Superstats:

Level 13: Super Endurance

Powers:

Level 1: Righteous Fists - Rank 3

Level 1: Beatdown - Rank 3

Level 5: Thunderbolt Lunge

Level 5: Jetboots

Level 8: Hurl - Rank 2

Level 11: Regeneration - Rank 3

Level 14: Thunderclap - Rank 2

Level 17: Resurgance

Level 20: Retaliation

This is from memory... so I might be off on a few and not sure what advantages

Talents:

Level 1: Abyssal

Level 6: Super Constitution

Level 9: Super Endurance

Level 12: Energetic

Level 15: Negotiator

Level 18: Mighty

Level 21: Tireless

Something like that. Without a lot of strength it sometimes takes me a while to bring down the big guys, but I have enough Health and Energy to get the job done.

p.s. I also got my rear handed to me in Dr. D's Roboshop. :(

Getting squished in Dr D's roboshop is expected. BTW, I recommend never ranking up your energy builder, the miniscule damage increase you get isn't worth the advantage points (other energy builder advantages are often worth it; it's just ranking that's kind of worthless).

Dr. D's workshop is brutal to everyone. Went in with some friends and I'd die in 3 hits. There just wasn't a way around that. This was after the devs said they weakened the foes, but the foes seemed much tougher than before that patch. Planning to go again soon.

This was after the devs said they weakened the foes' date=' but the foes seemed much tougher than before that patch.[/quote']

Hah. If it was right after that patch, that patch introduced a bug (fixed in the next patch) which made continuous npc attacks (like, err, all of Dr D's robots) do ridiculous damage. This is not to say the factory isn't hard, but it isn't ridiculous.

OK... I broke down and bought a CO game guide, (was standing around in Gamestop while my son was playing with a Wii, saw it, had a moment of weakness..., it was only $20.00) and have been looking over the powersets. While I have looked through them in the PowerHouse, it's nice to have it all written down in front of you. It's made me think about Respec'ing Uncle Samson.

I really haven't had any problems with the build I have now, but I have noticed it seems to lack real punch! I win through outlasting rather than a serious beatdown. Here is what I'm thinking...

Existing Powers:

Powers:

Level 1: Righteous Fists - Rank 3

Level 1: Beatdown - Rank 3

Proposed Powers:

Powers:

Level 1: Clobber - Rank 3

Level 1: Thundering Kicks - Rank 3

+ Burning Chi Fist

I'm not sure what else I have to take to unlock a teir 3 MA power, but I'm lvl 28 now.

So what do you think?

Just thought I'd chime in here, as Might is one of my favourite frameworks. Still a bit new here, so forgive the intrusion :)

Please don't underestimate Haymaker. My Might user is currently level 35, and with rank 3 Haymaker, I can two-tap henchman mobs at same/+1 level. When tapped, its an awesome damage ability. Plus, if you get chance to charge it, your looking at around 2K+ damage.

Thanks for sharing your builds though, you've given me quite a bit of food for thought to mull over.

Incidentally, how do you play your Might characters? Do you take as many of the disorient/hold effects on your powers, or go for straight rank increases? I tend to go with the latter, but would love to know how the former works out.

Cheers,

WW

I mostly ignore the rank increases and go for special effects. I only added one rank to the Uppercut attack as it is my main attack. I'd love to drop it for Cannonball, but CB does not drop me out of flight in a Death From Above move, so into Uppercut the points go.

If there are many mobs, I pull with a thrown object or a ranged taunt. Otherwise, I like running into mobs (up to 6 or so) and smiting them at once.

I'm the opposite :)

I took rank increases on my main abilities (invul, uppercut, thunderclap) first. I figure if I'm using them all the time they might as well be doing the extra damage. The special effects on Bountiful Chi and my energy builder are also there for 'everyday use'.

+threat abilities I leave to things like defensive combo which I don't use at all unless I'm facing a named boss.

It's a simple playstyle, but suits me fine.

Ok... I did a total respec (my free reset) last night. It took me over 2 hours as I really labored and tried out some of these in the brand spankin' new Danger Room (I can't remember what they really call it... but I like it :)).

I'm not sure if I like the new build better... but it does pack a better punch!

Clobber + Sucker Punch

Thungdering Kick + Floating Lotus Blossum

Thunderbolt Lunge + Essence Assault

Hurl + Rubble Trouble

Burning Chi Fist + Rank 2 + Fists of Righteous Flame

Thunder Clap

Regeneration + Rank 3

Resurgence + Evanescent Emergence

Masterful Dodge

Retaliation

Of course I can't slot all of these. I usually take Resurgence instead of Masterful Dodge. But I needed to take it to get Burning Chi Fist.

I know a lot of people recommend some of the Might heavy hitting powers (Room Sweeper, Haymaker, Uppercut) but I really don't like the Knockback. Uppercut has Knock-Up which isn't so bad, but I really don't need 2 charge powers. After taking it, I'm not so sure about Thundering Kicks. I think I liked Beatdown better, but again, I needed to take 5 MA powers to get Burning Chi Fist, which I like.

It works fine in PvE, but I haven't tried PvP yet.

Just in case you care:

Abyssal

Super Constitution

Super Recovery

Physical Conditioning

Enduring

Energetic

Mighty

Quick Recovery

Tireless

Hmmmm, looks like I'm gonna have to respec Knecht again. Invulnerability wasn't listed among the available powers when he got to lvl 8. I mean you can still get it if you chose strictly Might right?

Heck at this rate I'm considering creating a whole new character and labelling poor Knecht as a failed experiment. Or possible deleting poor Knecht and starting him over from scratch. Any ideas out there in HERO land?

Correct. With only Might powers, you unlock Invuln at L8. The Character Builder is based on when skills unlock and only shows you the powers you unlock by whatever level bubble you click. Just select the power framework tabs at the top to see what powers are unlocked. If you select non-energy building powers, you unlock tiers for all sets, but faster in sets you already placed points in. For a Might build, Invuln is L8. For a Power Armor build, right after the tutorial.

Even if I started with a straight up Might build? Just want to be sure about that.

Well, if you take invuln you're no longer a pure might built (as invuln is a PA power), but yes, it's a tier 1 power so you can take it as your 4th power.

It's probably possible to design a build where defiance is really good, but you'll have trouble -- for most of the chaff fights you deal with in the game, you'll be able to get about two stacks of might before it ends, and since it takes 20 seconds for your resting heal to start ticking up, your defiance expires before the next fight. I'd consider it for the new Celestial builds, actually; you probably want a heal power if you're taking Defiance.

I had that problem with my initial build (actually my second build... now on my third for Uncle Samson). I had great defense, but fights took forever due to a lack of offense. Now I think I'm a little more balanced. By the level end I hope to have a good offense, defense, and multi PvP builds.