Zeppelins

mattingly

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Zeppelins

It used to be that , when asked "How do you iknow that you are in an "alternate world" the answer was "Look up and count the zepplins". Do modern developments mean that this is no longer going to be true, or have we slipped into an "alternbate world" without me realizing it ! (I just HATE it when that happens):)

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm, my Google-fu is proving weak tonight.

Anyone know any good sites for working out the size-to-lift ratios for determining how big an envelope you'd need? I'm also trying to figure out the differences between hot air vs helium vs hydrogen (or any other gasses I might be missing)?

Sorry to be late answering this, but I didn't see it until just now.

Using an old Chem-Phys Handbook, I find this formula for the density of air---If the temperature in Celsius is T and the pressure in millibars is P, then the density in kg/m³

=(1.293/(1+0.00367*t))*P/1013.24269

Take the density for the surrounding air and subtract the density of the air in the envelope and that's your lift.

For lifting gases other than hot air, the densities (I assume at 0º and 1 atm (1013.24269 millibars) are:

Hydrogen---------0.08998 kg/m³

Helium------------0.1786 kg/m³

Neon-------------0.9008 kg/m³

Nitrogen----------1.250 kg/m³

Ammonia----------0.7601 kg/m³

Methane----------0.7160 kg/m³

Carbon Monoxide--1.250 kg/m³

I don't know of any other chemicals that are gases at 0º/1 atm that are lighter than air. Note that there is:

Water Vapor---0.8041 kg/m³

but it will condense to liquid, and that has a density of 1000 kg/m³!

To find the lift, subtract the above densities from that of air, and voila!

Hope that helps. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't trust that link. Once at the site' date=' it keeps trying to forward you to places the security software and fireall at work don't like one bit.[/quote']

I run NoScript, so the forward bits don't come up and I can still look at the pretty pictures. Couple social sites were listed, which could be the work related blockage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...