Escapist reviews CO.

SaintHax

Re: Escapist reviews CO.

are the reviewer's descriptions of the zones and missions accurate?

I don't believe that they are. Sure, there's some humor in there, just as there is in any MMO. Maybe it's too much for that particular reviewer's taste. But I think I'm far more sensitive to that sort of thing than the average gamer, and it certainly didn't bother me. In general, I think Cryptic's done a good job of coming up with enjoyable missions that (a) fit the "superheroic paradigm" within the context of an MMO, and (B) fit well into the Champions Universe.

Technically, he's correct when he says things like:

The only road in or out of Snake Gulch leads directly into the terrorist missile base next door. To the west of the amusement park is a post-apocalyptic wasteland / nuke testing grounds, which is next to the haunted Old West ghost town.
However, you have to understand it in the context of the progression. It sounds goofy if they are made out to be one continuous area, but there is a whole backstory that you only get by working your way through the missions over the course of 15 of so levels. And it's not like your walking straight from one area to the next, or getting quests for all over the map at the same time.

One of the great things I like is that there are so few zones. Coming from other MMOs where you have the 1-10 zone, the 11-20 zone, and so on. You never go back to them after you level up which seems like a big a waste of resources. In CO my lvl 9, 23, and 29 are all in Canada right now, but doing different areas. Keeps the zone chat active and hopefully promotes the sharing of help and advice.

I loved SG btw, the humour was a nice change from the gang warfare and mind control of MC, and provided a nice break before I got back into the 'serious' VIPER/gadroon stuff again.

It's def. a milkshake of genres - which is what most comic books are. Try looking at X-Men. You have story arcs in Asgard, Mojoworld, and all sorts of exotic locales, with stories that range from drama, to gritty action, to campy fun (Lockheed still makes me grin).

So don't fault it for it's replication of the genre. It looks fantastic and has a nice mix of locales.

I do find myself wishing for more power options and customizing of powers, disads, etc.

What Champions Online does right, it does really well. The character designer is the best ever. The zones are wonderful.

What it does wrong is something I'll not go into. I simply don't have the space or time for it.

I really hope it survives to mature. But zone populations are SPARCE! Where are all the people? If you have buddy codes. Give em out.

The words "even by comic book standards" told me all I needed to know about the reviewer. I should thank him' date=' however, for making it easy to dismiss his tripe.[/quote']

The author (Shamus Young) is actually something of a fan of the game, and an experienced tabletop gamer. If you want a more in-depth look at his opinions check out his blog at http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/

I am still amused that he made a gunbunny named Concealed Carrie

Just so you know, I read Shamus on his D-Twenty Blog. Although he has some sarcastic things to say about CO, he also makes sure that people realize he has 6+ characters already, half of which are in their 20s-30s. He is an excellent source of gaming suggestions and video reviews. He does like Champions Online and has played it quite a bit. On the site you linked to, he makes his living there by being sarcastic about games.

Edit: teach me not to read the whole thread as Amadan beat me to it.

For the curious, his next Experienced Points is up on The Escapist, and he says some quite nice things about the game...

The other downside is for players, because once we enjoy a game without a lot of grinding, going back to those older titles is like taking the bus to school after you've learned to drive. "Man, I can't believe I ever put up with this." I enjoyed WoW at the time, but I don't think I could tolerate its plodding progression after being spoiled by Champions Online.

Give Me Dessert First