"Smackdown" on the Moon

tkdguy

Re: "Smackdown" on the Moon

That's an hour before my alarm clock goes off, but by itself that isn't an issue. The need for at least a 6-inch telescope sort of dampens my enthusiasm, and the forecast for this area suggests the clouds will preclude watching anyway. If the cat (or neighbors) wakes me up about the right time I may peek anyway with my 7 by 50s, but I wouldn't bet on it.

In retrospect it was interesting; in my 101 class we had about a half-hour discussion about the ethics of bombing other planets for scientific curiosity. As undoubtedly dead as the Moon is, this isn't a real issue for the case at hand, but it did lead to an interesting conversation.

Well, there already are a couple of voluntary moratoriums in effect, places that are unofficially off-limits for in situ exploration until questions about possible contamination with Earth-origin biologicals can be settled. The subsurface ocean of Europa is the most important of those; It'd be difficult to get a probe in there in any event, but making absolutely certain it wouldn't "infect" the place is an issue that has pushed that exploration even further from realization.

Much closer to home, there's an informal agreement to avoid inserting something into the subsurface Antarctic lakes (like Lake Vostok) until contamination concerns can be definitively solved. Those lakes may have lain isolated from the surface biosphere for quite a long time, and since they're an isolated cold, lightless but liquid-water environment that's interesting in terms of evolution.

Earth's Moon, being a rock that is both biologically and geologically dead in no uncertain terms, and where the principal geologic process now is impact cratering ... until there's a human-occupied station there, bombing the Moon doesn't really matter. If there was ever a place where the phrase "bounce the rubble" was relevant, it's there.

• 4 weeks later...