Question on Weather Control

ChipDancer

It's me the idiot newbie again!

:D

My question today is for my character with Weather control.

I built it with change environment, weather affects, with the +1 variable so I can virtually do anything weather wise and then mega scaled it to cover up to a state in area.

Question: Do I need anything else to add to it for damage purposes? Say if I dropped a tornadoe on something or someone or directed lightning at someone or something how much damage would it do?

Also; would a tidal wave or earth quake be considered part of that?

Just need some basic advice!

Thanks in advance!

The Change environment is really more of a special effect in regards to what you are doing. What I would reccomend is a Multipower (loaded with Ultra slots) to simulate differnt combat effects.

1) An Indirect RKA to simulate litning

2) Telekinesis for tornadoes and winds

3) Darkness for Fog

4) Flash for blinding flashes of ligning

5) Area Effect EB (physical) for hail

etc.

Uhm... Then wut is the point of spending all the points in weather control if I have to spend MORE to by effects? That +1 Variable is NOT cheap.

For that matter what if I want a tornado ridden hail storm with thundering clouds and lightning that blankets the lands and darkens everything making it hard to see?

(Hint: Like a real nasty kansas tornado storm?)

Multi power onlly allows me to do one effect at a time; While I value the suggestion that just cannot be right.

Originally posted by ChipDancer

Uhm... Then wut is the point of spending all the points in weather control if I have to spend MORE to by effects? That +1 Variable is NOT cheap.

For that matter what if I want a tornado ridden hail storm with thundering clouds and lightning that blankets the lands and darkens everything making it hard to see?

(Hint: Like a real nasty kansas tornado storm?)

Multi power onlly allows me to do one effect at a time; While I value the suggestion that just cannot be right.

Okay. The Change Environment CAN effect things... it's just not an attack. If you are fighting someone who has Susceptability to *insert weather condition x* then they will take damage. But to have an attack, you need to BUY an attack. I reccomended the multipower because you can only attack once per phase anyway, why not have a variety of attacks for a reduced cost (they share a theme... why not). Unless you plan to buy all of your attacks as Area Effect Radius Megascale Continuous Uncontrolled, MP (or an Elemental Control is you have the points) is your best bet.

Well, the +1 Variable Effect is not a small Advantage, certainly, but Change Environment is a relatively inexpensive Power, primarily because its effects on combat are limited. It's more intended to add color and to fill in useful but not highly damaging effects that aren't well simulated by some of the other, more combat-effective Powers. One of the more popular examples since the current CE rules came up is to create an icy or oily surface that makes movement on it more treacherous (penalties to DEX rolls, etc). Trying to do that with Drains, Entangles etc. always proved clumsy, and very costly in Active Points for what you get.

For the kind of multiple simultaneous storm effects you're looking for, you might consider a Multipower large enough to use two or more of these Power slots simutaneously, or an Elemental Control. You could fit the main Change Environment into the Framework to bring down the cost. Still expensive, I know, but the kind of multi-power attack you're discussing can be pretty potent.

The point is that you can create weather over a large area. Change environment doesn't give you fine control over that weather. You couldn't target a specific person with a lightning bolt, though many in the area may get hit. Basically, look at Change Environment as letting you dictate the weather in the area, but your GM still gets to call what that weather's effects are.

If you want to define your character as having fine manipulation over things such as calling down lightning to strike foes, or lifting and throwing people with miniature tornadoes, those are separate powers. Remember that hero defines effects, not Special Effects. If you want to alter the environment (such as creating weather) then you use Change Environment. If you want to do damage to a person, then you use another appropriate power (such as EB, RKA, etc.).

The special effects of all that may be that you summon up horrendous weather, and can control it to the point of hitting an individual with lightning, but its not all a single power.

As for building part of it into a Multipower, why not? Multipowers are 1-power-at-a-time (for the most part), but you can only take 1 attack-type-action in a phase, so why not build your "Weather Attacks" as a multipower?

You might want to take a look at the character Stormfront from CKC. He is a weather control character and he is built on 350 points. A few tweaks on origin and Disadvantages and he could easily be turned into a hero for a player to use.

That is one of the things I really liked about CKC. There are many 350 point examples, and they can all be easily used as superheroes for players who need a character on the fly. :)

Originally posted by ChipDancer

Thanks guys! :D

Ye all have very good ideas! Question though: How does one buy a multipower that allows ye to use more then one slot at a time?

Two ways.

1) Buy the Multipower large enough to use two powers at once

Ex: 120 point MP with several 60 point powers in the slots (purchased as ultras)

2) By the Multipower slots as "multi" slots. Multi slots cost twice as much as an Ultra, but allow you to vary the power in the slot.

Ex: 60 point MP with several multi-slots. 12d6 EB (in one) and a 30" flight (in another). Both are worth 60 Active Points. To use both, the total points can't exceed 60. so you could use 6d6 EB (30 points) and 15" Flight (30 points) at the same time.

In the example given, the MP cost is 60 and the slots cost 12 (60/5=12 for the muti-slot price)

Just in case it'll help

Here is Tempest, an NPC from my game that might help lay things out for you.

Tempest

Player:

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
23 DEX 39
18 CON 16
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
10 EGO 0
18 PRE 8
14 COM 2
25 PD 7
25 ED 6
6 SPD 27
7 REC 0
40 END 2
30 STUN 4
6" RUN02" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 117

Cost Power END
22 The Tempest: Elemental Control, 44-point Powers
23 1) Hurricane: Force Field (15 PD / 15 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
23 2) Ride the Winds: Flight 15", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points)
24 3) Temperature Control: Change Environment 16" radius (5 Temperature Level Adjustment), Varying Effect (Very Limited Group; +1/4) (46 Active Points) 5
23 4) Weather Control - Narrow: Change Environment 4" radius (-3 PER Roll: Hearing Group, -3 PER Roll: Sight Group), Varying Effect Any Type Of Weather Which Can Affect Vision/Hearing (Limited Group; +1/2) (45 Active Points) 4
15 5) Weather Control - Wide: Change Environment 8" radius, Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Varying Effect Any Type Of Weather (Broad Group; +1) (45 Active Points); Only Affects Normal Weather (-1/2) 4
50 Summon Storm: Multipower, 50-point reserve
5u 1) Call the Lightning: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (50 Active Points) 5
4u 2) Call the Winds: Telekinesis (22 STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (49 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4)
5u 3) Hail Storm: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. PD), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (50 Active Points) 5
5u 4) Lightning and Thunder: Flash 4d6 (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/2"; +3/4) (50 Active Points) 5
Powers Cost: 199

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +15 STR vs. Grabs
Martial Arts Cost: 13

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Deduction 12-
3 Paramedics 12-
3 PS: Meteorologist (INT-based) 12-
3 Stealth 14-
Skills Cost: 18

Cost Perk
3 Access
Perks Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Dependent NPC: TV Station Manager (Jane Wilcox), Normal, 8- (Infrequently)
25 Hunted: Unknown, More Powerful, 11- (Frequently), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
25 Hunted: Unknown, More Powerful, 11- (Frequently), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing, Common, Total
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (William Starkweather), Frequently (11-), Major
5 Unluck: +1d6
10 Vulnerability: Gravitic and Magnetic Attacks, Uncommon, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x STUN)
10 Vulnerability: Gravitic and Magnetic Attacks, Uncommon, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x Effect)

Disadvantage Points: 120

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 30

Total Experience Available: 30

Experience Unspent: 0

And the hdc is attached for the HeroDesigner people