Noob here...

Brence

So as you might have guessed Im new to the Hero system, as such hope someone can awnser a few quik Q's.

-What books do I need to run and play a game?

-Does anyone have a good online store to buy them from for Europe? (Dutchie here)

Also what do you really like about the system? What would make this the best game for Hero RPG's? :)

Re: Noob here...

So as you might have guessed Im new to the Hero system, as such hope someone can awnser a few quik Q's.

-What books do I need to run and play a game?

-Does anyone have a good online store to buy them from for Europe? (Dutchie here)

For someone who's never played Hero System, teh new basic book is a good start, more advanced games you will likely want to get the two Core books of 6E: Character Creation and 6E: Combat and Adventuring.

If you can't find it through a local game store, the Hero Games online store ships anywhere for free.

Also what do you really like about the system? What would make this the best game for Hero RPG's? :)

What do I like? Well, that in of itself would take an entire book itself, LOL

But fundamentally it is because of its toolkit nature. The ability to create the exact game that I want to play with the framework and tools supplied by the core books.

Thanks for the quik reply's. Being a avid RP gamer myself (including my group) I think that its safe to say that we might as well plunge into the 2 Core Books for the advanced edition, also is there a certain default setting or is it all "Up to you" styled? I mean does Hero Games have its own default setting for the game?

Hero has several 'default settings'. It also has plenty of supported genres.

In general, a genre book helps you tweak the Hero System rules to suit the genre, and has lots of advice on creating your own setting.

A setting book assumes you have the relevant genre book, and supplies a pre-created 'official' setting.

Some people like to get only the genre books, preferring to create their own settings. Some particularly experienced Hero gamers even forego the genre books, and they understand the system (and the genres) well enough to use only the core rules.

Most settings have supplementary books featuring enemies, particular parts of the setting in more detail (eg, Millennium City for Champions Universe) and books of powers (or spells or equipment as appropriate).

Champions (superhero genre)

Champions Universe (setting)

Fantasy Hero (fantasy genre)

The Turakian Age (high fantasy setting)

The Valdorian Age (sword & sorcery setting)

The Atlantean Age (epic fantasy setting)

Dark Champions (modern-day genre)

Hudson City (modern-day setting)

Star Hero (science fiction genre)

The Terran Empire (space opera setting)

Alien Wars (military SF setting)

Pulp Hero (1920s/30s adventure genre)

Minor genres (these act as small genre books and include several suggested settings in varying levels of detail)

Urban Fantasy Hero (Fantasy Hero sub-genre)

Post-Apocalyptic Hero (Star Hero sub-genre)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quik reply's. Being a avid RP gamer myself (including my group) I think that its safe to say that we might as well plunge into the 2 Core Books for the advanced edition' date=' also is there a certain default setting or is it all "Up to you" styled? I mean does Hero Games have its own default setting for the game?[/quote']

As AndyStaples pointed out - there is no default genre in the Rules.

If you want or need some help making a setting there are a number of Genre and Setting books to choose from. But without those Hero is a Roll Your Own system.

And Andy left off one of the best Genre Books ever: Lucha Libre Hero (Mexican Wrestling). As well as Ninja Hero (Martial Arts in general).

As mayapuppies pointed out, the Hero Games online store ships anywhere worldwide for free. I'm in the Middle East, with no FLGS I know of in the region, and I use the online store exclusively.

Mayapuppies mentioned the toolkitting nature, and that's a powerful plus point.

The other things I really like are the sheer flexibility of the system and (once you've wrapped your head around the concept of powers and modifiers) its ability to model pretty much anything in game terms relatively simply.

The thing that's sold my players is the tactical flexibility. Hero is designed to say "yes" when a player asks "Can I do this, that or the other?" (Of course, the character may not succeed, but invariably there's a rule covering pretty muchg anything a player can imagine wanting to do.)

My players have a ruthless approach to testing a new system. They set out to break it, to test its limits. So far, Hero System has survived everything they've tried. In fact, it even had some options they never considered - I don't think I'll forget the expression of delight on one player's face when, roleplaying, he let out a battleroar after killing an orc and I ruled it a Presence Attack.

I'm sure they'll find something to bend or break it eventually, but they've already accepted Hero is the most flexible (and fun) game they've played yet.

The genre books explain and describe how to use the hero System rules to emulate that particular genre. They are setting generic and often offer many sample settings as idea generators.

Setting books, like Turakian Age, Valdorian Age, Alien Wars, etc. give you specific setting information so that you can run games within those settings.

So, for example, the Fantasy Hero genre book, gives you tips, tricks and guidelines for running a fantasy campaign, it doesn't give you specific nations, races, gods, etc for the Valdorian Age or my own Kamarathin setting. You would have to acquire those books (Valdorian Age, Kamarathin) for that information.

Champions is similar. It gives you information for running Superheroic games, but doesn't give you any specific information for a particular setting. An unfortunate naming convention held over from the games original release.

While 'Champions' is a setting, the Champions book doesn't focus on it...that's what several other books do, such as Millennium City, Monster Island, Book of the Machine, etc. do.

• 11 months later...

Being that the Hero System is a point-based system, you should consider getting a subscription to Hero Designer as well. The beauty of the Hero System is the ability to create any kind of power and have it work and interact with the other powers in the game in a balanced way. Calculating the variations can bog the character creation process down, and Hero Designer takes that trouble out of the game. It also makes experimenting with different Power Advantages and Limitations FAR easier.