Everybody was Gun-Fu Fightin'!

Sketchpad

Re: Everybody was Gun-Fu Fightin'!

Originally posted by Sketchpad

Does anyone have any rules for Gun Fu? I was thinking about making it a martial arts and wondered if anyone had already?

If you wanna go beyond Zen Riflery (which covers using guns at range, and using them as clubs) you can always allow firearms to be used as melee weapons. SAy you get a 9mm pistol, and do a martial strike with it - the +2d6 damage from there adds 1DC to the killing damage of the pistol, raising it to 1 1/2d6K. Strength doesn't factor in, though. Prolly require someone to purchase a 'hand to hand pistol' WF, though.

If your campaign uses rules for extra damage from point-blank shots, then gun-fu may simply make it easier to take advantage of those rules.

In my games, if someone's engaged you in hand to hand combat, you can't simply shoot them. They can 'block' the shot, but shoving the gun out of the way (in addition, if you want to run away from someone who's engaged you in hand to hand, you have to actively disengage rather than simply moving away). So using these rules, gun fu would make it easier to use a pistol in hand to hand combat. It doesn't let you avoid blocks, naturally, but maneuvers like 'fast strike' increase OCV. Stuff like that.

I'd concentrate maneuvers for gun fu on fast strike, sacrifice strike, things like that. Might want to put in 'killing throw' - interpreted as either shooting someone and letting them fall, or throwing them to the ground, then shooting them.

Go nuts. :)

In addition, you might want to make a ruling about point blank shots and shots against the target's bodies as doing +1d6 KA with +1 Stun MOD.

Many HK gangsters use Kung-Fu manuvers to "punch with the handgun", or press the gun right against the body. It utilizes the martial arts they already knows without requiring extra skill at shooting. People will block such punches with the utmost priority. We use gun as a weapon element. The martial manuvers only effect hand to hand.

We also allow shotguns and rifles to be used as martial weapons. However, they are normally used as boken. We did create the 2 point martial manuver that allows them to break and cock the gun in a half action one handed.

Now Zen Archery/Riflery is a different martial arts from these. These are just weapons elements to any modern martial art.

Re: Movie

Originally posted by Dark Cloud

Hello,

I know it's not a rules suggestion, but an excellant movie that showcases "Gun Fu" is Equilibrium. It's a movie that had a limited release in the states. Great scenes and definitely worth a look.

My two bits,

DC

Yup ... Equilibrium was a great movie :) I've actually thought about making "Gun Kata" into a martial arts sometime ;)