And 6e print books start to arrive

archermoo

Re: And 6e print books start to arrive

GOT MINE!

Boy...these suckers are lovely. The layout and format is compact and I think very easy to read. I also LOVE (note the CAPS) the indexing that shows in the binding/leaf. VERY nice touch that really makes them useful.

Congrats Steve, Darren, and Waltereses...we all won this time... :)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy...these suckers are lovely. The layout and format is compact and I think very easy to read. I also LOVE (note the CAPS) the indexing that shows in the binding/leaf. VERY nice touch that really makes them useful.

The index design was at least partly inspired by some work I'd seen layout guru Adam Jury do on the Shadowrun anniversary edition index, which uses color coding to index multiple books across the entire product line. Really freakin' clever, that Adam Jury, which is why I'm happy to chase his aura as he streaks across the skies of layout like a comet.

Received mine last night.

They're. Frickin'. Heavy.

Heavier than you might imagine. The whole package came in at 8 lbs, which should tell you something. The binding is remarkably tight and is probably the first RPG that comes anywhere near Ptolus' print quality. The pages are thicker than your standard magazine glossy page (or so it seems) and they're just overall beautiful, beautiful books.

And, of course, I'm pleased to see that the format of HERO 5er wasn't messed with but, instead, massaged toward greater greatness. Although I no longer run any RPGs (my group went to straight board gaming early this year), I'm happy to continue my support for HERO and buy all of the books and supplements (excepting that superhero nonsense, of course) and read them all.

Heavier than you might imagine. The whole package came in at 8 lbs' date=' which should tell you something.[/quote']

Yeah, I sent a pair of them down to Steve just the other day, and I double boxed 'em to make sure they'd survive transit. Package was around 9 pounds. Easily two of the beastliest bludgeoneering books I've ever laid out.

And, of course, I'm pleased to see that the format of HERO 5er wasn't messed with but, instead, massaged toward greater greatness.

Honestly, it didn't make sense to wholly reimagine the layout. HERO's presentation is more about function than form, and the function has been pretty well targeted at this point. After a few minor adjustments to improve informational presentation & digestion, it was just a case of giving the existing function a mildly modified, modernized coat of paint. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

The PDFs don't do justice to the printing; they are very nice books. :thumbup::thumbup:
The Covers are this striking royal blue that manages to be vibrant and dark at the same time.
QFT on both of these. I think the naysayers about the blue-and-gold color scheme needn't have worried; these are definitely going to catch a potential buyer's eye. Some people might even be able to read either book off the radioactive glow given off by the other.

I ordered the bundle of physical books + PDF, mostly because I wanted to get the material right away but also wanted to have physical books that I could handle, page through easily, transport to places with no computer (like reading on the bus), and so forth. I'm getting all of those benefits of the physical books now, plus I can keep copies of the PDFs on my flash drive so I can look stuff up quickly when I'm on a computer away from home without having to necessarily lug the books with me. I think this is going to be the way I buy all Hero rules-related books in the future (I'm still debating on setting, character, equipment, and powers books).

QFT on both of these. I think the naysayers about the blue-and-gold color scheme needn't have worried; these are definitely going to catch a potential buyer's eye. Some people might even be able to read either book off the radioactive glow given off by the other.

I ordered the bundle of physical books + PDF, mostly because I wanted to get the material right away but also wanted to have physical books that I could handle, page through easily, transport to places with no computer (like reading on the bus), and so forth. I'm getting all of those benefits of the physical books now, plus I can keep copies of the PDFs on my flash drive so I can look stuff up quickly when I'm on a computer away from home without having to necessarily lug the books with me. I think this is going to be the way I buy all Hero rules-related books in the future (I'm still debating on setting, character, equipment, and powers books).

I agree with the PDF + Physical idea, and appreciate that HERO Games is pretty progressive on this front. I still prefer to read on physical books, though I am considering a Kindle or Nook or some type of e-reader with non-transmissive display. But PDFs are great when you're on the computer, or at the office, or want to quickly look something up. The ability to search is a must-have.

Someone on these boards dropped a tip about searches including an "H" before the term - the HERO Hex is actually an H character so if you're looking for a power or limitation or most of the headers typing in the H first, like "Hflight" instead of "flight" is a fast way to get to the definition of the power. I can't remember who gave the tip, but I owe them rep - it has saved me a ton of time.

While on the subject of tips - and I'm not trying to derail this thread, but Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat for PDFs - much less bloat.

Someone on these boards dropped a tip about searches including an "H" before the term - the HERO Hex is actually an H character so if you're looking for a power or limitation or most of the headers typing in the H first' date=' like "Hflight" instead of "flight" is a fast way to get to the definition of the power. I can't remember who gave the tip, but I owe them rep - it has saved me a ton of time.[/quote']

I mentioned that at one point, but I dunno if I deserve any rep for the "discovery" since I was an insider... :)

Someone on these boards dropped a tip about searches including an "H" before the term - the HERO Hex is actually an H character so if you're looking for a power or limitation or most of the headers typing in the H first' date=' like "Hflight" instead of "flight" is a fast way to get to the definition of the power. I can't remember who gave the tip, but I owe them rep - it has saved me a ton of time.[/quote']

Oooh, I had no idea I was embedding a hidden feature there. :)

Easily two of the beastliest bludgeoneering books I've ever laid out.

Ahhh, a challenge! Time to devise ever more beastly bludgeoneering books for Fred to work on.... :eg:

Oooh, I had no idea I was embedding a hidden feature there.

Hssst, no, don't be sayin' things like that. "Glad you found that feature we included all along!" :D:hex:

The index design was at least partly inspired by some work I'd seen layout guru Adam Jury do on the Shadowrun anniversary edition index' date=' which uses color coding to index multiple books across the entire product line. Really freakin' clever, that Adam Jury, which is why I'm happy to chase his aura as he streaks across the skies of layout like a comet.[/quote']

Well, no matter of where you got the layout inspiration. These are hands down the most beautifully laid out RPG books that I own. The design is clean and easy to read. I love the fonts you used, again making the books very friendly to reading. For once in my life I have nothing to complain about (I usually have some pet peeve with a book's layout)

The indexing rocks, I love the colors. I wish all of the many many RPG books on my shelves were laid out this well.

Fred you ROCK! :thumbup:

Tasha :D

Got mine just a few hours ago. Thank you for getting V1 & V2 to me so quickly. Excellent color and condition. The corners are bent (a little mushed in), which I now consider part of their character and appeal. Delivery folks like UPS and USPS always toss their boxes as if nothing were in them.

Got mine just a few hours ago. Thank you for getting V1 & V2 to me so quickly. Excellent color and condition. The corners are bent (a little mushed in)' date=' which I now consider part of their character and appeal. Delivery folks like UPS and USPS always toss their boxes as if nothing were in them.[/quote']

FRAGILE - Hurl about with care

Bigdamnhero got his books... he's 15 minutes away from me... UPS is laughing at me. I knows it.

That would mess me up. Seriously, not having a tracking number, not having personally made the order (had a minion do it at Gencon), and having others get theirs before me... It's driving me crazy. I just have to keep telling myself that I need to wait another week or two before I start becoming concerned.