Team Base... Who pays?

Super Squirrel

This may be covered in Champions and if it is, please tell me so. I have long wondered how to handle this.

Team bases are fun, but not if you are the character paying for the whole thing. That is the case in the case of my character in a campaign. I'm dishing out 20 points from my character to cover the team base. Should I be expected to pay for improvements or should the team cough it up?

What do you guys do for team bases?

Re: Team Base... Who pays?

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

This may be covered in Champions and if it is, please tell me so. I have long wondered how to handle this.

Team bases are fun, but not if you are the character paying for the whole thing. That is the case in the case of my character in a campaign. I'm dishing out 20 points from my character to cover the team base. Should I be expected to pay for improvements or should the team cough it up?

What do you guys do for team bases?

I usually have each member of the team kick in some points and themn total the points to determine how much they have for the base.

EX: Right now I have 6 players with 11 points in the Base (each) that's 66x5=330 points in the base.

My way of handling it is somewhat odd

I make everyone pay three points for a perk called member of Team, as a member it gives them access to a base and a vehicle (or fleet of) of my design, the whole thing is if they get a aircraft it might be supersonic or have stealth capabilities but it will not be a combat vehicle, the base might have some defences but again it is not a fortress.

This way if you have a Batman type character who wants to be using vehicles etc...he has to pay for the whole thing instead of using the x2 rule, but still makes the character chip in some

Don't have the new Champions handy so I can't check if there were any changes, but in the old BBB the last incarnation of the Champions paid for their base and team vehicle just as Mr. Vimes describes. I've always followed that pattern in my own games; since everyone on the team shares in the benefit of these things together, it seems fair.

Most teams divide the cost of the Base, Vehicle, and Computer between them. This is how it is recommended in Champions.

My team's base, vehicle, and computer system were paid for by the base's DNPC. No one had to pay any points for the basic equipment, but if they want to do any upgrades they will have to shell out the character points for them.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

Somewhere in some version, they suggest giving the character's a base "on credit", then taking some of their XP as the campaign goes on.

While this might be in the Champions book, I know it was in The old Strike Force book.(which I still reread every once in a while).

In my current campaign, I'm going to be following the suggestion of giving the players a base/vehicle for free, but have them pay for any impovements. Since both are fairly barebones, most players will want to spend pts to improve the place.

In my case, I designed the base and assigned it to an NPC. The heroes have been given full run of the place. This means it has all the features I want it to have and that I feel are appropriate to the campaign. And the players can concentrate on their characters with their points instead.

Originally posted by JmOz

I make everyone pay three points for a perk called member of Team, as a member it gives them access to a base and a vehicle (or fleet of) of my design, the whole thing is if they get a aircraft it might be supersonic or have stealth capabilities but it will not be a combat vehicle, the base might have some defences but again it is not a fortress.

This way if you have a Batman type character who wants to be using vehicles etc...he has to pay for the whole thing instead of using the x2 rule, but still makes the character chip in some

FWIW, this is the system I use too.

The points for the Member of a Team perk range from 1 to 20, depending on the resources the team has available, ranging from a meeting place in an old warehouse, and a used icecream truck as a vehicle for a point a piece, to an organization with large land, underwater, and satellite bases, with high speed supersonic underwater spaceworthy transports, and one warp capable ship for just such an emergency for 20 points.

Of cource, the vehicles are more plot devices, than combat things (if Steelhawk wants a fighter plane, he'd best pony up the points--otherwise, well, "damn, there goes another plane.")

D

• 2 years later...

This has varied from game to game I've run. A lot depends upon the players involved. Some will have characters who will benefit more from a base - and thus they put more points in. Other times, its an equal split of the cost - to be paid either up front or on installments from their earned XP. Other times, I've had players that didn't want to pay for a base. That team then got something provided to them by the sponsored city - in this case, it was Rough Justice setting up as Baltimore's premier super-team. Of course, they got what they paid for - which wasn't much. Laser and a trio of villains called the Enforcers ended up bringing the place down on top of the heroes in the final run of the game. ;)

Wow, MCMaenza. You really went digging around the backyard tonight. Most of this stuff was posted in 2003. Good stuff though.

I make the characters pay for it unless they are willing to be sponsored or become a government run organization. this is the way it works.

1. If you want no affiliation: The team must pay the points themselves. It is more expensive but for the most part it is their own. They might not have the latest toys but they owe no one.

2. Find a Sponsor: The players chip in points and for every point they put in, the sponsor will match them. The sponsor would have some say in what goes on but can be ignored for important matters. The nature of their secret identities might come up for debate. (the sponsor wouldn't mind knowing them and the players would) Different sponsors work different ways but the players can find the sponsor that matches their temperment much easier.

3. Government backed: The players do not have to put in a dime. It is bought for them lock, stock and barrel. Of course they will have more trouble refusing requests and things start to get more political with disallowing certain heroes from speaking in public (you looked intelligent until you opened your mouth), barring the heroes from going to certain countries (we are in the middle of a delicate negotiation right now. I'm certain we can handle everything through diplomatic channels). The players would have to tell their secret identities to the government and undergo an intense background check. On the upswing the will have some of the best PR people in the business and be granted certain federal powers.

Chipira, everything old is new again to someone. ;) I'm kind of cherrypicking the old threads to read based on the titles and interest. There's a ton of past stuff for someone new to the boards to review (even though I joined back in 2004, I've just recently got back into Champions stuff - like putting my campaign world online via my website - for example). I'll be prudent on which old threads I comment on. ;)

Doesn't sound odd to me at all, in fact I do the same thing. My teams also get a free contact with the Police Lt. in charge of the Superhuman Crimes Task Force (or whatever I decide to call it for that campaign) I guess mediocre minds do think alike.

In my 'Aegis' campaign, I gave the characters a free base, with these caveats:

* Since the DM is paying for it, the DM reserves the right to design the base. Any design features above and beyond the minimum I provide must be paid for by the characters.

* Since the DM is paying for it, the DM reserves the right to take the base away during the course of the campaign, if doing so would service the plot. (i.e. -- the team loses their official sponsorship, Dr. Overkill blows the place up, it gets eaten by a giant mutant star goat, etc.)

The games I've been in (where there have been bases) the PCs have the base on credit and pay back with an XP or two each time they receive XP. This is generally how I do it when I run a game. However, I have had a campaign where the PCs were in a city with another team (Freedom Squad) and when that team was slowly eliminated, the PCs ended up taking that base. (Basics from VOICE of Doom.)

Well' date=' I just started a new campaign. The characters are going to get a warehouse style base and upgrades will be paid by them.[/quote']

Similarly, I give my players a place to stay for free. There are usually several added bonuses to living there as well.

Then, I make them spend the points for upgrades and anything else they feel is necessary. Players join forces for general upgrades but pay seperately for lab abd private room additions.

Here's the thread about the base I made for my current players:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=743818#post743818

Our current, albeit idling, Champions campaign, has us being a fledgling hero group. We're paying our own experience points to build a base, though one of the GMs has said they will do some sort of matching of contributions. We are talking among ourselves (sort of; like I said, the campaign is idling) about what the base will have, so we can design it before we start pouring concrete.

The other GM, though, has made comments about not wanting the characters to have a fortress where they can hide out, with the implication that he intends to destroy (or at least render inoperable to at least a considerable degree for much of the time) whatever the players set up. That dampens my enthusiasm for a base considerably. Whether he realizes it or not, it also is a pretty firm statement against characters with big investments in skills, especially analytical and science skills, who need a lab to do their shtick.

Usually, if the campaign concept calls for a tightly knit team, then the characters split the cost of the base and any vehicles, which are bought at the time of character creation. I've only run one campaign where a character decided he wanted a base and bought it with experience points.

One other campaign had the same player suggest purchasing a base and the characters pooled their points for a session and bought an ugly little hole in the ground with a kick *** mobile command post. The campaign fell apart two sessions after that. In fact, it has been my experience that the purchase of a base signals the impending end of a campaign in Champions. *sigh*

I'm of the the opinion that if the characters really want one, they should shell out the points and design it themselves.

Matt "Old-school-GM" Frisbee

• 1 year later...

I consider bases to fall under the same rules as foci: you don't have to spend points on it, but if you don't, they can be easily damaged, stolen, or otherwise taken away from you.

For this same reason, I allow all my superheroic PC's to wear body armor and carry firearms; it's just that most of my villians have Indirect (only through real armor) and Insubstantial (Real Damage only) or DCV +10 (real attacks only). The PC's are allowed to take such powers as well, even if it violated campaign caps.

In doing so, it allows me to design "bulletproof" villians, while at the same time having Weaponmaster PC's who don't feel sidelined; as long as they paid points for thier guns and armor (and as long as they didn't take the "Real Weapon" limitation), the rules for "real equipment" don't affect them. It also implies that you can determine, in game, if something is a foci or not. To those who are aware of it, it's considered to be a boarderline meta power, on par with samurai "becoming one with their swords".

Back to bases - with those rules in mind, I let PC's purchase things with wealth with no limitation; with the implied understanding that if you purchase it with ONLY wealth, it's going to be trashed by metahuman activity on a regular basis, and you really won't get a lot of heavy use out of it. If they're fine with that, then I have no problems giving it to them.