Martial Arts Resources

Susano

I'm building a bibliography for Steve for the HSMA book and am looking for suggestions.

I haven't looked at my library (yet), but intend to break it down as follows:

Anime

Comics/Manga

Movies

China/Hong Kong

Korea

Japan

Hollywood

Other

Non-Fiction

Western Animation

Any suggestions?

Re: Martial Arts Resources

For the purposes of this bibliography, real world martial arts, supernatural martial arts, and anything with ninja in it are all part of the martial arts genre. I fully intend to list Enter The Dragon in the same section as Big Trouble in Little China.

Example: under Western Animation, I know there's Jackie Chan Adventures (is that the correct title?), also Avatar: The Last Airbender. But... aren't there some lucha cartoons?

Stuff like that.

Please don't think too hard about this, IMO, it's all good.

Assuming you're looking for suggestions of potential additions to the list:

Non-Fiction Books

Modern Arnis: Filipino Art of Stick Fighting by Remy Presas

Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Chin Na by Dr Yang Jwing-Ming

Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts by Serge Mol

Fiction Books

Steve Perry. Particularly The Musashi Flex or Black Steel.

Example: under Western Animation' date=' I know there's [i']Jackie Chan Adventures[/i] (is that the correct title?), also Avatar: The Last Airbender. But... aren't there some lucha cartoons?

Stuff like that.

Please don't think too hard about this, IMO, it's all good.

yes susano this is the correct title of the series

formerly known as bubba smith

A few rare ones:

Lost fighting arts of Vietnam by Dr. Haha Lung

The Way of the Sun Dragon by Kenneth A. Smith

The K-sys manual by Matthew Powell

Combat Strategy: Junsado: The Way of the Warrior bu Hanho

Fukien Ground Boxing: Nan Shaolin leg techniques by Cai, Chu-Xian

Don't let the infamous ninja books by Haha Lung fool you; the Vietnamese book is actually quite good. It reduces many complex techniques to simpler ones. The Junsado book is all that rare; Turtle press regularly has it on sale.

Good luck finding the K-sys and the Sun Dragon books, though. I couldn't find either the last time I tried. (I forget whether it was through library or 'net search.)

I also recommend going to the plumflowerpress. I forget whether it ends in .net or .com, but it's a repository for some weird MA styles, like duck style. IIRC.

There are also some other interesting ones, but I've run out of time for this post.

Note -- folx, please stick with recommending fictional sources to Michael. He's not responsible for reading any real-world books or doing any real-world style design; that's all on me. If and when I want recommendations for additional sources to add to my already extensive library on the subject, I'll post that in the WDYWTS thread for HSMA -- which you can expect to see go up the day after I finish Champions, have no far. :hex:

Note -- folx' date=' please stick with recommending [i']fictional[/i] sources to Michael. He's not responsible for reading any real-world books or doing any real-world style design; that's all on me. If and when I want recommendations for additional sources to add to my already extensive library on the subject, I'll post that in the WDYWTS thread for HSMA -- which you can expect to see go up the day after I finish Champions, have no far. :hex:

What Steve said.

And, in truth, I'm probably not going to be reading or watching much of what you recommend, because A) my library is pretty big, and B) I'm pretty busy with my part of HSMA. But I'd like a good list of things for others to choose from.

For the Wuxia Genre go for anything by Louis Cha, the most famous being the Condor trilogy, consisting of: Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Heaven's Sword and Dragon Sabre, these were getting released by a company called Comics one in the US and you can get about halfway through the series before they stopped. They've also been released about 13-200 times in China in various forms and revisions of the story in movie, TV and print.

Also there is a Hong Kong cartoonist called Tony Wong who put out Oriental Heroes and Weapons of the Gods.

For the Wuxia Genre go for anything by Louis Cha, the most famous being the Condor trilogy, consisting of: Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Heaven's Sword and Dragon Sabre, these were getting released by a company called Comics one in the US and you can get about halfway through the series before they stopped. They've also been released about 13-200 times in China in various forms and revisions of the story in movie, TV and print.

Also there is a Hong Kong cartoonist called Tony Wong who put out Oriental Heroes and Weapons of the Gods.

is the former a comic or a novel? The latter I know of, as I own the Weapons of the Gods RPG.

Do you have specific series titles?

Was this addressed to me? If so, then I'd suggest the Clone Wars cartoon Vols. 1 & 2 directed by Genndy Tartakovsky (to be distinguished from the CGI The Clone Wars series currently airing), specifically Vol. 1, Chapters 7 (Asajj Ventress vs. Count Dooku), 12-13 (Mace Windu takes on a battle droid army and seismic tank single-handedly), 18-19 (Assaj Ventress vs. Anakin Skywalker) and 20 (General Grievious makes his first appearance against four Jedi), and Vol. 2 Chapters 23-25 for the most lightsaber/wuxia-esque action. The Prequel trilogy also features some lightsaber duels and an emphasis on the Jedi as monastic warriors. Selected comic books may have similar thematics and styles, but I'm not sure which ones offhand. Information on Jedi fighting styles, for gamers who want ideas on fictional/mystical swordfighting techniques, can be found in Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force.

Please note that while I know Star Wars well, I know wuxia mostly secondhand--I learned most of what I know from Ninja Hero 5E and seeing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon--so I may be completely off the mark here.

is the former a comic or a novel? The latter I know of' date=' as I own the Weapons of the Gods RPG.[/quote']

Both originally started as comics, in short almost anything from Jademan comics or Comics One will probably work for what you're looking for.

Also for other media, Jade Empire by Bioware (a wuxia game made by a bunch of Canadians and Americans.)

It may be sad, but most of my contributions here are cartoons or things that may as well be cartoons....

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Both the recent cartoon & all the various movies)

- Power Rangers (any season, but the classic 90's 1st season got into some trouble with parents groups for Stuntmen being a bit *too* dynamic in their fights.)

- Kim Possible (The Cheerleader Martial Artist, especially in the first season & the 'Sitch in Time Movie)

- Justice League Unlimited was mostly an out & out supers show, but a few episodes (Esp "The Cat & the Canary", "Double Date" and "Grudge Match") focus heavily on the Martial Artists & Weapon Masters in the 'League. Grudge Match is notable in that they upped the animation budget for the big all-woman brawl at the end (Wonderwoman vs everyone else shows some fun flying brick vs. martial arts stuff). Also some really great martial artists vs. supers animation.

- The Jack Kirby era Captain America comics may be a bit off topic, and are very much a product of their time, but they have some *really* great one martial artist vs. horde of agents type fights. I think these issues are collected in the essential Captain America vol. 1

I also know Anime has a real mixed reputation around here, but if you can deal with it...

- Naruto episodes 48-50 features probably the best fight in the series, a Martial Arts speedster vs. a guy with Sand-Based TK. There are some other great fights, but this is probably the best outing you see from someone who would be considered a Martial Artist under the Hero definition of the term. (Be warned, there are a lot of Anime tropes in play here, including combat commentators and escalating "well I better start really fighting then" type stuff.

- Trigun has a protagonist that is the definition of Gun-Fu. If all you care about is the fights, skip to the confrontation with the big bad in the last couple episodes. One of the best gun-based martal arts showdowns I've seen.

Regarding movies, I've got w soft spot for Boy with the Golden Arm and Master of the Flying Guillotine. The first one is a straight-up progression of more powerful opponents: Iron Robe to Bronze Helmet to Sliver Spear to Golden Boy. The second is a guy with a Flying Guillotine with decapitates people.:D

Another, and much more common one, Is Tai Chi Master of Twin Warriors. Not only does it show some good Chen-stye-ish Taiji, We have Jet Li acting all wacky as a Taoist.