Does the CU have a Franklin Richards?

Ranxerox

Re: Does the CU have a Franklin Richards?

If you've got a copy of it, or if one of your friends has it, check out the

4th Edition supplement The Mutant File. There's a character in there

called Howard Brody that's the closest thing to Franklin Richards in the

CU (any edition) that you're likely to find.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Howard Brody was the first character to come to my mind, as well. As I recall he was a mutant pre-teen or in his early teens, physically and intellectually exceptional, with nearly limitless psionic potential which had only just begun to manifest. As Major Tom points out he's from Fourth Edition continuity, but as he was introduced in The Mutant File as still maintaining his secret, it would be easy to insert him into any campaign where such mutants are possible.

Ranxerox, I can think of one or two other outside possibilities from the official CU, but more data would help. What kind of "cosmic power" should this character have? How young should he or she be? What role do you see the child playing in your campaign?

He or she would have to be young enough to be engrossed by the story of Peter Pan, and powerful enough to pull the characters of Pan and Hook from wherever they exit to his world with out being aware of doing so. I'm not sure how big of role he or she would play in any adventures. I wouldn't imagine a central role for the character, but very possibly a reoccurring one.

If what you're looking for is to play Peter Pan and Captain Hook as PCs or NPCs, and you're planning to run some variation of the Champions Universe or concepts from it, it's quite possible that they could arrive on Earth under their own power.

In the official CU, on the Astral Plane adjacent to Earth, are several "imaginal realms" with regions and inhabitants created out of the collective imagination and belief of all mankind. One of these realms is Faerie or the "Land of Legends," home to all the gods, creatures, races, and heroes of myth, folklore, and fairytales -- at least those still widely remembered. During eras when ambient magic is low, passage between Earth and Faerie is rare and difficult, but as magic waxed in the modern era, contact from one to the other has become easier and more frequent.

As described in the Champs sourcebook The Mystic World, the heightened reality of Faerie has or could have all the elements described in J.M. Barrie's story: exotic uncharted islands, tiny fairies, stylish pirates, Indian princesses, giant crocodiles. The passage of time and process of aging varies greatly there, and children who never grow old is specifically mentioned as one possibility. Within the CU context Neverland could actually exist, and Barrie merely transcribed events that truly occurred. Hence "your" Peter Pan could be the Peter Pan, who of course traveled to Earth himself from time to time. On this occasion he might be pursued by Captain Hook, or following Hook who has come to Earth himself for some nefarious purpose.

Gloriana, from Teen Champions, comes to mind. Not exactly cosmically powerful yet, she still has a Transform (anything to anything) that might work for some things, and adding some sort of summon or EDM to her Multipower would be in character. Eventually she's going to have a giant cosmic Variable Power Pool instead of a Multipower (according to her description text) so having her start in with some other powers first would be fine, I think.

Gloriana was a senior at Raven's Wood when her "accident" happened, though, and she'd be about 25 years old now, if you use their time line exactly.

Gloriana' date=' from [i']Teen Champions,[/i] comes to mind. Not exactly cosmically powerful yet, she still has a Transform (anything to anything) that might work for some things, and adding some sort of summon or EDM to her Multipower would be in character. Eventually she's going to have a giant cosmic Variable Power Pool instead of a Multipower (according to her description text) so having her start in with some other powers first would be fine, I think.

Gloriana was a senior at Raven's Wood when her "accident" happened, though, and she'd be about 25 years old now, if you use their time line exactly.

So IOW, she right about the right age to be the mother of a cosmic child.

So IOW' date=' she right about the right age to be the mother of a cosmic child.[/quote']

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood the request. If you're looking for a pre-adolescent, Gloriana is clearly not a good match. Gloriana is also not a great match to be a mommy.

Gloriana was one of the possibilities I was considering, although her age tended to dissuade me. According to theories postulated by the Mandaarians, Gloriana is a starling, a nascent star incarnated in human form, which will one day mature into a full stellar body; but who even in this form possesses tremendous power. While studying at Ravenswood Academy in 2002, Gloriana accidentally absorbed the body, mind, and spirit of another of the Academy's students, Redshift, who could transform his body into energy. The experience drove Gloriana destructively mad.

Say, that gives me a rather off-the-wall idea. Gloriana has the body of a human female, and Redshift was a male when in human form. You want a cosmically-powerful child? Those would seem to be the essential ingredients... :sneaky:

I'd suggest writing up your own. Start with this as the character pic:

4055044.jpg

After your PCs get a change of underwear, then you can go ahead with your storyline.:eg:

Not as scary as his adult version.

But I still stay away from that corn field.

Gloriana was one of the possibilities I was considering' date=' although her age tended to dissuade me. According to theories postulated by the Mandaarians, Gloriana is a [i']starling[/i], a nascent star incarnated in human form, which will one day mature into a full stellar body; but who even in this form possesses tremendous power. While studying at Ravenswood Academy in 2002, Gloriana accidentally absorbed the body, mind, and spirit of another of the Academy's students, Redshift, who could transform his body into energy. The experience drove Gloriana destructively mad.

Say, that gives me a rather off-the-wall idea. Gloriana has the body of a human female, and Redshift was a male when in human form. You want a cosmically-powerful child? Those would seem to be the essential ingredients... :sneaky:

Yes, and it might be a virgin birth and who doesn't like good old fashion hit them over the head with a hammer religious symbolism. Also, it allows her current instability to be explained pregnancy mood swings on a grand scale. However, using her absorption of Redshift as the point of conception shouldn't she have already had the child at the start of the Teen Champions timeline?

Yes' date=' and it might be a virgin birth and who doesn't like good old fashion hit them over the head with a hammer religious symbolism. Also, it allows her current instability to be explained pregnancy mood swings on a grand scale. However, using her absorption of Redshift as the point of conception shouldn't she have already had the child at the start of the Teen Champions timeline?[/quote']

Indeed. Today he/she would be about six years old. Doesn't mean she'd keep the baby after birth, though, especially if she's mentally unstable.

It's a classic mystery scenario: foundling with mysterious background is adopted, begins manifesting extraordinary uncontrolled abilities. Good way to draw PCs into the case. Do they try to find the child's true mother? What will she do when confronted? And what if the child wants to meet his mother... or doesn't want to?

I'd suggest writing up your own. Start with this as the character pic:

4055044.jpg

After your PCs get a change of underwear, then you can go ahead with your storyline.:eg:

First the Lovecraft thread in NGD turns into a Mayberry thread, and now Opie is making moves on this thread. When did November become the The Andy Griffith Show month?

Reality bending is kind of the point. Still thanks for the suggestion and kudos on the cool web site.

{shrugs}You said "cosmically powered" so I wasn't sure if you meant a "Cosmic" VPP or just the Cosmic SFX.

If you are trying to model Reality Bending as a Power concept in the HERO System in a "do whatever" sense then just buy as large of a 0 Phase Change No Skill Roll Required VPP as you can afford. This will let you do pretty much anything you can define mechanically up to your AP limit.

If you are trying to model Reality Bending in a true comic book plot manipulation way, the only "Power" built into the game that approximates it is a creative use of the Luck Power. Its the only Power in the book that just arbitrarily requires the GM to bend events to occur in your character's favor...which is pretty much reality bending. Take it to extremes, like 20d6 Luck, and with your GM's cooperation you have a reality bending power.