Phantom Steed

MrAgdesh

I have a player who wishes to create a knight with a phantom steed. At its campaign introduction, it will have no game effect other than transportation; it merely serves as a spectral mount that grants him flight. So, standard Flight with the special effect that he rides a ghostly horse.

However, he has also said that he would like one other person to be able to ride the mount along with himself. The second person should not pay END for this flight (only the knight, for the steed is a manifestation of his will). and has to remain in contact with the knight at all times. He thus flies wherever the knight does and if the knight is stunned or KOed for example, he is suddenly without a mount.

This sounds like the Usable As Attack Advantage (with the defense that the recipient can simply 'dismount' and move away from being adjacent to the knight) but that Advantage would theoretically exclude the knight from using the power on himself at the same time. I say 'theoretically' because I could of course rule otherwise.

I wonder though if I am just missing something glaringly obvious?

Re: Phantom Steed

Personally, I would probably go with a custom follower/creature with Always On Desolidification and then a Naked Advantage of Affects Physical World on enough STR to carry 2 passengers with a Limitaton Only to carry passengers. Technically it requires another character sheet but if Affects Desol is uncommon it really just boils down to requiring that the PC purchase the Riding skill.

However' date=' he has also said that he would like one other person to be able to ride the mount along with himself. The second person should not pay END for this flight (only the knight, for the steed is a manifestation of his will). and has to remain in contact with the knight at all times. He thus flies wherever the knight does and if the knight is stunned or KOed for example, he is suddenly without a mount.[/quote']

Under 6e, you might build it like this:

Flight, Usable on Other, x2 recipients, one recipient at a time, grantor controls power totally, grantor pays all END, recipient must remain close to grantor. +½

Personally' date=' I would probably go with a custom follower/creature with Always On Desolidification and then a Naked Advantage of Affects Physical World on enough STR to carry 2 passengers with a Limitaton Only to carry passengers. Technically it requires another character sheet but if Affects Desol is uncommon it really just boils down to requiring that the PC purchase the Riding skill.[/quote']

I concur and would call and dispel the follower with a summons

An actually creature will enforce the special effect best

Personally' date=' I would probably go with a custom follower/creature with Always On Desolidification and then a Naked Advantage of Affects Physical World on enough STR to carry 2 passengers with a Limitaton Only to carry passengers. Technically it requires another character sheet but if Affects Desol is uncommon it really just boils down to requiring that the PC purchase the Riding skill.[/quote']

I'm liking this, as I think that the player eventually wants to develop it into a warhorse follower anyway.

Thanks to all for the input.

I believe i wound up making two versions of this for a character once. #1 was a summon of one specific horse (done by whistling); No matter where he was it would simply come running out from around a nearby corner, like in an old west TV show.

The other version was simply running with some linked STR, with the horse as SFX. This mean he had the extra STR for move-throughs, lifting objects, etc. This turned out to make more sense mathwise; just meant that someone couldn't take out the horse by shooting it or anything (which also simulated an old west tv show; the horses rarely got hurt though they tumbled like crazy)

With the original description, I would just call it Flight. You're allowed to carry someone when you fly, so it's the exact same thing. With the given SFX I would allow the Knight to use his both hands while flying, even with an extra passanger, but as a side effect of that, a bad guy could jump on the steed behind him (as well as other benefits/disadvantages that are appropriate).

With the original description' date=' I would just call it Flight. You're allowed to carry someone when you fly, so it's the exact same thing. With the given SFX I would allow the Knight to use his both hands while flying, even with an extra passanger, but as a side effect of that, a bad guy could jump on the steed behind him (as well as other benefits/disadvantages that are appropriate).[/quote']

Following the adage of KISS, I like this answer. Simple and elegant.