A proposal

DrDestiny

Hi everyone, I'm posting this here to guage interest.

In the new year, I'm considering producing a web-comic called 'Westside Stories'. Each monthly 'edition' would feature a different lead character and story, and be short - 2-3 pages only. Whilst the first couple would feature my own characters, the idea would be for players to suggest their own characters and stories to spotlight. The only prerequisite would be that the stories be set in the down and dirty Westside area of Millenium City, and barring permission from Cryptic, not include any official characters.

To give you the idea, an sample strip would be something like this:

Page One (Page one)

Page Two (Page two)

The idea behind the strip would simply be to flesh out an underused area of the city, and to help foster a community sense of belonging. I've no desire to write the whole of it myself, or to use only my characters - that'd be boring for everyone and far too much work for me.

The purpose of this thread is simply to see if there are members of the community who would be interested in helping out.

Thanks for your time!

Re: A proposal

As I replied on the CO boards, I think this is a great idea, and I'm thinking either Knighthawk, my less than agile and quick-witted Speedster who grew up in Westside; or Recurve, my Archer/Gadgeteer and extreme sports enthusiast & ex-nerd would both be pretty good candidates.

I'll work up more detailed write ups and screenshots for you later on.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and/or offered their help, it's greatly appreciated :)

It seems there may be enough interest to take this idea further, so I thought I'd put out a few details.

I will not be starting this until January. Not only do I have a giant turkey to eat this month, but I'm also rather jammed up with commissions.

• Submissions may range from character name, screenshot and bio/background all the way to a full script.
  • Don't bother sending anything that copies an existing character. I don't want to get sued, so won't consider it!
  • Without any response from Cryptic, no canon characters will be used, nor will MC be referred to directly.
  • Each monthly 'episode' will range from 1 to 3 pages, no more. This will call for very tight scripting!
  • Artwork will be mine, but your characters will remain yours and be credited as such. This will be a strictly web-based non-profit publication.
  • Submissions sent only to the email address listed below. My PM box here is full enough as it is with spam from Socrates.
  • Collaborators get full consultation on each stage of the creation process.
  • Once we're into the series, then other artists are more than welcome to do a strip or two themselves!

The submissions email address is: doctordestiny@hotmail.co.uk

Although the main thrust of the series is Westside, it's a guideline not a rule.

At present, I intend to host it over on ComicSpace, unless anyone else has a better idea. Please remember that although this is my idea, the whole point of it is to foster more community involvment... *adds cheese* Westside Stories is Your Story... *cheese off* :P

Thoughts, opinions, flame welcome :)

I was going over your guidelines and wanted to try and clarify a few things. When you are talking about screenshots are you looking for images for each frame or would you need something more like the principle character front, sides, back and maybe some action shots? Also for scripting here is a sample of the formatting we used:

Castles Made of Sand: A Wanderer’s Tale

Prelude: In The Shadow of The City

Page 1:

Panel 1 [splash Panel]: Tight shot of a Katana and the Stop Sign axe crossed. Both Hippie Man and the Slum Lord are out of frame.

Caption: I don’t know this man’s name. The children call him the Slum Lord. This place is called the Horror Show. The Hunters won’t come near it. It’s not that they don’t care. They do.

Panel 2: The Slum Lord pushes the katana out of the way. The Slum Lord is visible in here Hippie Man is not.

Caption: I’ve seen them. This place, the Horror Show, is too wild. It grabs you. The squalor, the suffering, it is everything the Hunter’s feared for man after the Long Night

Panel 3: Hippie Man rolls, one knee on the ground he steadies himself with his sword.

Caption: The worst part is it’s in their back yard. No one talks about it inside the city. That’s because no one knows what to do about it.

Panel 4 [splash Panel]: Tight shot of Hippie Man’s face, the Slum Lord rearing back bringing the Stop Sign Axe up above his head.

Something you may want to be careful of, read the EULA. I know in Everquest II the EULA says (or used to anyway) says that SOE owns all characters that are created on their servers, including player made characters. Even these Hero Games boards say (if I remember correctly) they own whatever is put down here. I would put up a post, PM, or email making sure no one has a problem with it.

Something you may want to be careful of' date=' read the EULA. I know in Everquest II the EULA says (or used to anyway) says that SOE owns all characters that are created on their servers, including player made characters. Even these Hero Games boards say (if I remember correctly) they own whatever is put down here. I would put up a post, PM, or email making sure no one has a problem with it.[/quote']

Cryptic is encouraging players to create comic styled content using MashOn. Here is the post. Link.

Usage Guidelines

Something you may want to be careful of' date=' read the EULA. I know in Everquest II the EULA says (or used to anyway) says that SOE owns all characters that are created on their servers, including player made characters. Even these Hero Games boards say (if I remember correctly) they own whatever is put down here. I would put up a post, PM, or email making sure no one has a problem with it.[/quote']

How it tends to work is that the company owns the character within the game, as generated by the game engine.

Were I using Champions canon characters, or aiming to directly or indirectly generate income of any kind, I'd be concerned, but I'm not using Champions characters or looking to make cash in any way, so I'm pretty much in the clear.