The Ultimate Base

Steve Long

Here's our back-cover text for The Ultimate Base:

PLACES OF POWER AND PERIL

Whether it’s a castle, a gadget-filled secret headquarters, a starbase in deep space, or something even more unusual, a Base provides both resources for the Player Characters and adventure ideas for the GM. The Ultimate Base is your guide to creating any sort of Base using the HERO System rules, whether it’s a two-room apartment or an entire world.

The Ultimate Base includes:

—advanced and expanded rules for creating Bases of all kinds, and for Bases in specific genres

—detailed information on castles, plus special rules for creating them

—example equipment and systems for Bases

—rules for creating and playing nations, kingdoms, cities, planets, empires, and organizations as characters, both on their own and with regular Player Characters

—over a dozen example Bases for all genres, including maps

Re: The Ultimate Base

Any news on when hardcopy will be ready for shipment from company online store?

Yes, I was wondering this as well. Will the Ultimate Base be in the Online Store this weekend, and will it receive the 25% off discount Hero Games is giving the rest of their products? I'm planning on buying a lot of books in this sale, and I'd love it if the Ultimate Base is available when I make the order this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Someone is not telling you the truth. We've had the book in stock for weeks now and it's been shipped to all the major distributors. Anyone who has any questions about its availability is welcome to contact us directly.

Are you selling any at MarsCon? Cuz, I'm pretty sure I could convince my financial advisor to make a purchase while we're there...:)

Someone is not telling you the truth. We've had the book in stock for weeks now and it's been shipped to all the major distributors. Anyone who has any questions about its availability is welcome to contact us directly.

Well, My local game shop is the Rusty Scabbard, and they use Alliance distributors. Alliance says they have no copies. Also, Amazon is not even listing the book.

You can see here: http://www.alliance-games.com/publicaccess/

Just search for the ultimate base.

If fact, it's not advertised to sell online anywhere but a few online stores: Here and paizo...

Paizo says preorder, too...

Alliance distributors is 1 of the distributors Game Empire in Pasadena Ca called

cannot remember the name of the other but they are close enough to have UPS ground deliver next day if the order is in early enough(like 2pm)

I have worked for both game store and distribution(the Gaming House,Diamond dist,Capital city dist,Berkley dist,and Heroes World)

if the stuff came in say 3 hrs before UPS pickup we had all the new stock counted in and preorders ready for UPS

and the orders would be to in those stores the next day if they where within 200 miles of us by UPS ground

in general from the time I see a book listed as in stock for Hero games,it is at least 3 weeks before it gets to any of the stores in the LA area

when it should be less than 2

My FLGS has a large room(almost 1/2 the store)devoted to nothing but open gaming (12 tables and room for more if need be)

if I do not support it ,it may go away and it is a good store

This further proof distributors are morons and stores continue to let them be so. Which is why I refuse to support my LGS.

It came out in December - almost a full month ago now. I have my copy. Order directly from HERO if no one else can get their act together.

I'm not sure that's a faster option, considering my last order took about a month to receive from HeroGames.

And let me point out: Nobody has it. If someone outside of HeroGames was listing it available, I could easily agree. This is a case of nobody has it EXCEPT HeroGames, pointing to the only thing they have in common being the problem.

Either way, until my local gaming shop does get it, I'm not spending money. I was just trying to point out that something was wrong with the distribution of the book, and since that means reduced sales, I figured that HG might want to know.

it has been a month and no brick and mortar has it means something(other than Hero no online sellers listed here have it out either)

distributors cannot make money if they are not shipping product

I can understand a mistake by 1 or 2,but not the whole industry

I want to support Hero,but some of us have great game stores in our area's that need support also or they will go away and we won't have a common place to find other gamers and meet up with them

It came out in December - almost a full month ago now. I have my copy. Order directly from HERO if no one else can get their act together.

This is no the first book the Distributors have dropped the ball on, in fact, it's a trend.

I would wager that Tina has sent out shipments LGSs that order direct, or other distributors somewhere. Alliance and Diamond both are known for simply never ordering books, not keeping up, and generally being very anti-consumer.

So yeah - I blame distributors, I've watched the trend over and over and over with Hero and other companies. In fact I paused to take a moment to call my LGS - they have it in stock (edit: of course, my LGS are jerks and could possibly be lying to me, but I don't think so). So I would in fact say it's your LGS or the distributors they use. Maybe you should get a new LGS that doesn't let their distributor sit on their backside and does some looking of their own when someone tells them a product is out and they'd like to order it.