The Ultimate Base

Steve Long

Re: The Ultimate Base

then the question is does Hero need to contact all of them when a new product comes out

when I worked at the "Gaming House" I got a call every monday from my distributor telling me what was new in

and I got the stuff in the next day via UPS

Hero may need to inform distributors when a new product is out if they have not pre-ordered it

if they have pre-odered it turn around should be at most a day or 2

Heck Diamond worked on a 2 month pre-order lead time when I worked for them

and when it got to us it was pulled after it go checked in and on the worst day might have to wait a day

then it would go out with that week's shipments or pickups

This is no the first book the Distributors have dropped the ball on, in fact, it's a trend.

I would wager that Tina has sent out shipments LGSs that order direct, or other distributors somewhere. Alliance and Diamond both are known for simply never ordering books, not keeping up, and generally being very anti-consumer.

So yeah - I blame distributors, I've watched the trend over and over and over with Hero and other companies. In fact I paused to take a moment to call my LGS - they have it in stock (edit: of course, my LGS are jerks and could possibly be lying to me, but I don't think so). So I would in fact say it's your LGS or the distributors they use. Maybe you should get a new LGS that doesn't let their distributor sit on their backside and does some looking of their own when someone tells them a product is out and they'd like to order it.

Having been a Sales and Purchasing manager for a game distributor (in the 90's not rescently), I can tell you that how well Hero (or any second tier game house) has met it's release dates would be a major factor in how we handled their products - particularly considering that most game stores probably aren't getting 5+ of the non core Hero Products at release (I know the 2 largish FLGS near me stock 1 of the new Hero Releases and the 2 small ones are pretty much 'by order' for non-core products).

If I were looking at Hero Products after 6th edition (Scheduled for release in August didn't ship until October), I'd be very concerned about their ability to meet my customers' expectations with their current (new) printer. Absent any other information, minor releases wouldn't be pushed as preorders (until I could be confident of a ship date) and I would place my order with Hero based on a % of previous performance determined by what my sales team believed they could move and my thoughts on the saleability of the product. Once we sold through that, we'd collect orders until our needs reached 90% of our minimum Hero Games Order (Determined by them or us whichever was greater), at which point we'd attempt to get more in stock.

I can't speak to Distributors having dropped the ball on previous products but from the outside Ultimate Base getting benched at the distributor level makes a certain amount of sense; sorry.

OK, sorry I missed this thread. Before rampant speculation gets out of control, there's nothing particularly mysterious about Base. We got it a bit earlier than we expected, just before XMas came along when it wasn't expected until afterwards, and a lot of people were on vacations. Several distributors,*including* Alliance, got their orders in a bit late for pretty much the same reasons. As of last week, everybody had gotten their orders in and been shipped, except the UK which we're still waiting on an order from. Alliance certainly should have the books by now, as should just about everybody else. We got plenty of orders (it's doing quite well, actually), nobody's refused it, it's just slightly-more-than-typical holiday season slowness.

Hero has a hard enough time fighting rumors that start elsewhere on the Net- can we please try to at least keep this site full of accurate information? Many thanks, guys! dw

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a map missing. The Justice Mansion indicates that the medical wing has a separate map. The only separate map is for the Conference room wing. Is that a typo or did a map get left out? Is there a way to get that map?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the missing map?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...I see it too, my new book is the same...perhaps they'll be kind enough to post it for us somewhere on their website. Even though it's not a BIG issue, it's really frustrating to spend so much on a book to then find things like that missing. I bought one of the 5th edition core hard-covers that had several missing pages - that really burnt me on Hero for quite a while. Kinda annoying that nobody has answered your question, instead choosing to focus solely on the distribution issue.

- Uncle K.

...I see it too, my new book is the same...perhaps they'll be kind enough to post it for us somewhere on their website. Even though it's not a BIG issue, it's really frustrating to spend so much on a book to then find things like that missing. I bought one of the 5th edition core hard-covers that had several missing pages - that really burnt me on Hero for quite a while. Kinda annoying that nobody has answered your question, instead choosing to focus solely on the distribution issue.

- Uncle K.

The past precedent when this has been brought to the attention of Hero Games, is that the missing pages are posted in the "Free Stuff" section of the website. A few 5E books have gotten that treatment -- you might find the ones missing from the book your purchased there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused by this example in the book....

Example: Defender has spent 120 points on

his Base so far, and would now like to buy some

guards for it. He buys 64 agents built on 100

Character Points (costing 100/5 = 20 points, x64

= 30 points; total 50 points). When Defender

finishes calculating the cost of his Base, he’ll add

50 points to it.

How does x64 = 30 points? What math am I missing here?

Based on the logo, it would seem to be an UNTIL facility, but it's not in the book or in the UNTIL sourcebook.

It's clearly an homage to the SHIELD Helicarrier from Marvel Comics.

In that case it's probably meant to be the Ragnarok, UNTIL's anti-gravity hovership. The Ragnarok is the mobile headquarters for UNTIL's "Project Shiva," their Dr. Destroyer-dedicated task force.

The Ragnarok is detailed in UNTIL: Defenders Of Freedom pp. 71-72, but its Character Sheet uses the vehicle rules rather than the base rules.

In that case it's probably meant to be the Ragnarok, UNTIL's anti-gravity hovership. The Ragnarok is the mobile headquarters for UNTIL's "Project Shiva," their Dr. Destroyer-dedicated task force.

The Ragnarok is detailed in UNTIL: Defenders Of Freedom pp. 71-72, but its Character Sheet uses the vehicle rules rather than the base rules.

Ah.

It's been a while since I had read the book. I looked in the "Bases" and "Vehicles" sections of UNTIL; I hadn't recalled that there was a major vehicle in a completely different section of the book. Oops.

I don't think that is the Ragnarok. As listed on those pages, the Ragnarok carries four vehicles, none of them jet fighters, while the ship on the cover looks like it operates as a flying aircraft carrier/battleship. Were the stats for this accidentally left out of the book?

• 2 months later...

This book is one I'm picking up tomorrow, but before I do so I figured I'd ask here a question I had about it. Do the rules for creating and playing as nations cover things like mass combat, armies clashing, and so forth? If not, which supplement if any talks about such things?

Freykin -- the Kingdom creation and play rules technically do cover large-scale military action, but generally on a pretty large scale and in a very abstract way. For more detailed mass combat rules, of the sort I suspect you're looking for, see Fantasy Hero.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I have got a copy of "The Ultimate Base" and generally find it as good as the other "Ultimate" products (that is to say excellent !). However it seems to me that a couple of obvious examples of bases have been left out in the illustrations /descriptions. Firstly the "JLA/Norad" "Hollow Mountain" type of base and secondly the "Fantastic Four"/"Doc Savage" skyscraper base. Were these base types too obvious to include, or did you simply ignore them in favour of other types ? There also seems to have been a (dare I say it !) lack of imagination where base power systems are concerned. In a world where we have super scientists of the "Dr Doom/Reed Richards" type, surely they can come up with some improved power generation systems ?Even something as simple as solar cells that provide 75% of the power that they capture as electricity, rather than the 20% or whatever it is that current ones do ! We need more "weird science" devices for our campaigns I say !

• 6 months later...