-1/4 Costs Endurance only to Activate?

Demonsong

-1/4 Costs Endurance only to Activate?

From FAQ:

Costs Endurance

Q: Could a character apply a Costs Endurance Only To Activate Limitation (-1/4) on a power that normally does not cost END?

A: As a default rule, no — if a character wants Costs Endurance, it has to be the normal type of Endurance cost. As always, the GM is free to allow this if he thinks it won’t be particularly abusive or otherwise cause problems in-game.

Well I am thinking about using this limitation in my Fantasy Hero Campaign. For some spells, Dark Vision, a low powered Mystic Shield (DVC +2), and a few others. I can see how it could be easily abused. But if used to simulate some low powered effects I don’t see a problem with it. The power just stays on until the mage deactivates it, the mage gets stunned/KO’ed, the power is dispelled, or the mage goes to sleep. Have any of you used this disadvantage before? Any input?

And I was thinking about using it with Increases Endurance. But at half the normal value.

Increases Activation Endurance:

-1/4 END X2

-1/2 END X3

-3/4 END X4

-1 END X5

What do you think?

As always thanks.

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I would probably define an upper limit, unless you don't mind that "I wake up and cast these spells that will last most of the day or until combat knocks it out." It gives a strange flavor of a mage who has to reboot in the morning.

I love the smell of... erm...

I don't find a genre problem here (I can imagine a mage having to go through morning rituals, especially in a high fantasy game) but it does raise questions of 'is this limitation really a limitation.' If dispel magic isn't uncommon, then it is a limitation. :) If dispel magic is rare, then it really isn't a limitation at all.

Well, not quite true. There are other cases. For instance, if 'detect magic' spells are relatively common (or magic is visible), and people walking down the street with brightly-glowing auras are looked at oddly, then most mages won't have too many spells on them all day.

I'd prolly advise a limit on 'spells currently in service' in any campaign allowing 'raise once, have on all day' spells.

Hmm. I can't find it in the book... if a power costs no END in its base form (thus, is not visible), but then costs END due to a limitation, it's still an invisible power, yah? Unless 'visible' is bought?

If you want chapter and verse. :D

Top of Page 71, paragraph 1 of FRED

"Sensing Powers and Special Effects

Almost all Powers which cost END to use must have a perceivable special effect (even if bought to 0 END cost; the text notes exceptions)."

The three exceptions that come to my mind are Clairvoyance,Images, and Invisibility which have special rules.

Edit: Also from the FAQ under Powers

"Q: If a character has power that inherently costs no END (such as Armor) and he applies the Costs Endurance Limitation to it, does it automatically become perceivable by three Sense Groups, or can he also take the Limitation Visible?

A: It automatically become perceivable by three Sense Groups; he cannot also take Visible for it."

I've used costs END only to activate before. It is how i did "stable" shapeshifting in 4th ed. I bought 0 END persistent, and then got a lim costs to activate, though now in 5th you'd just use the advantage +1/4 only to activate.

If your mages use MP or VPP slots, then the problem of permanently turned on only to activate end spells will be less frequent. At some point they will have to turn it off to cast something else.

I would probably define an upper limit, unless you don't mind that "I wake up and cast these spells that will last most of the day or until combat knocks it out." It gives a strange flavor of a mage who has to reboot in the morning.

Very good point. So initial reaction…

Reduced Endurance (END = 0) or Uses Endurance to Only Activate Spells require a bit more skill and concentration to sustain. This is due to the continuous channeling of mana through ones body. To represent this there is an accumulative -1 penalty to all spell casting rolls, for each spell of this type after the first that the mage is running.

I don't find a genre problem here (I can imagine a mage having to go through morning rituals, especially in a high fantasy game) but it does raise questions of 'is this limitation really a limitation.' If dispel magic isn't uncommon, then it is a limitation.

Dispel Magic is very common. Just about every full time spell caster has a dispel of some time. And I let all casters Abort to Dispel. This make for very exciting battles when more than one mage is evolved.

Well, not quite true. There are other cases. For instance, if 'detect magic' spells are relatively common (or magic is visible), and people walking down the street with brightly-glowing auras are looked at oddly, then most mages won't have too many spells on them all day.

Almost all spells in my campaign have this Limitation:

-1/4 Noisy: All spell users of any type can sense an active spell if with in 50 Hexes if they have Line of Sight.

The last part stops Mages from detecting Invisible characters unless they can actually see them.

Originally posted by Demonsong

Very good point. So initial reaction…

Reduced Endurance (END = 0) or Uses Endurance to Only Activate Spells require a bit more skill and concentration to sustain. This is due to the continuous channeling of mana through ones body. To represent this there is an accumulative -1 penalty to all spell casting rolls, for each spell of this type after the first that the mage is running.

Dispel Magic is very common. Just about every full time spell caster has a dispel of some time. And I let all casters Abort to Dispel. This make for very exciting battles when more than one mage is evolved.

Almost all spells in my campaign have this Limitation:

-1/4 Noisy: All spell users of any type can sense an active spell if with in 50 Hexes if they have Line of Sight.

The last part stops Mages from detecting Invisible characters unless they can actually see them.

Sounds like you're fine, then. :)