League of Extraordinary Gentelmen

Dave99

LXG

There are a few threads in this section as well as the Champions section covering this sort of thing. Search for LXG and you should find them.

As to me, we're running an occasional LXG game, based in 1880's London, using 250 point characters. Each charaacter is limited to one 'gimik' or 'schtick' if you will. They can have a few powers associated with their gimik. We've got a werewolf, a vampire, an invisible man, an immortal (not in the Highlander fashion), a pyrokinetic, and a metal man, to list a few of the PC's so far. Its been fun.

In one of the LXG threads I listed a bunch of links on the net leading to some cool Victorian web sites, with some good maps of Victorian London.

Aroooo

Re: League of extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Seraphim

As I have mentioned somewhere before, I have been playing a LXG type game with only 75 points and 75 points disadvantages.

Group consists of:-

Dr. Doolittle

Baron Munchausen

Van Helsing

Tarzan

Ebenezer Scrooge

Capt. Ahab

Bad Guy is Aleister Crowley

If not write-ups, could you briefly give us an idea anbout what each contributes? Some are obvious (Tarzan, Doolittle), others not so much (Scrooge?)

Keith "just curious" Curtis

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentelmen

Originally posted by Dave99

Anyone have any information on a setting base on the movie.

I think it would be a great setting. Have a speical stay alive power for each character, run it in a 1920-1930 time frame.

Thoughts?

Well, let see. The game that I was run at the Richmond Gamefest (cancelled due you hurricane) was more or less in this vein - although set closer to the turn of the century. It had (would have had?) the following characters:

Thomas Carnacki (the ghost hunter)

James Douglas Henry (grandson of John Henry)

Irene Adler (the only woman to get the better of Sherlock Holmes)

Arsene Lupin (Gentleman Cambrioleur)

Jules de Grandin (supernatural detective)

John Reid (the Lone Ranger, retired)

Martha Canary (aka Calamity Jane)

Alie Dunbar (the Beautiful White Devil)

Digory Kirke (bonus question: Who recognizes this name?)

Hopefully, they can rescheduled the cconvention for sometime I'm available this Spring.

John Desmarais

Originally posted by Fuzzy Gnome

Maybe Scrooge has an entangle based on some chains he forged himself, link by link, but no longer needs for their original purpose.

Scrooge doesn't need such gimmickery. Obviously he's the money man for the team. Having learned the error of his ways that one Christmas Eve, he now does his level best to make up for all the bad he's done in his life so he supports the team.

Originally posted by Twilight

Scrooge doesn't need such gimmickery. Obviously he's the money man for the team. Having learned the error of his ways that one Christmas Eve, he now does his level best to make up for all the bad he's done in his life so he supports the team.

I was just thinking about him through the eyes of a PC. Playing Mr. Nice Guy Money-Bags is fine, but it sounds more NPC-ish to me. Perhaps if he has retained his ability to speak to the spirit world, that might make him more of an adventurer.

Keith "Wondering how much Tiny Tim would be worth as a DNPC" Curtis

Originally posted by keithcurtis

I was just thinking about him through the eyes of a PC. Playing Mr. Nice Guy Money-Bags is fine, but it sounds more NPC-ish to me. Perhaps if he has retained his ability to speak to the spirit world, that might make him more of an adventurer.

Keith "Wondering how much Tiny Tim would be worth as a DNPC" Curtis

True enough, I was just thinking the entangle idea would be way out of character for Scrooge y'know? I mean Moore stuck as close as possible to the historys and abilities of the characters he used in LoEG, I figure a game based on it should do so as well.

Originally posted by Twilight

True enough, I was just thinking the entangle idea would be way out of character for Scrooge y'know? I mean Moore stuck as close as possible to the historys and abilities of the characters he used in LoEG, I figure a game based on it should do so as well.

This all depends on whether you're going 'comic' or 'movie' League. The comic was close to the source and quirky. The movie looks to be a little more Hollywood. Wilhelmina Murray being a case in point.

Not saying the movie is necessarily bad, but it is different in conceptualisation and execution. If you're running a game, you need to decide which you're doing, or pull elements from both. But some decision has to be made.

League quirks

My money bags or version of m/bond is Phileas Fogg and his now divorced wife Anouda (they are still good friends.)

Baron Munchausen is the guy who does the talking but most of it is lies that he makes up as he goes along (munchausen syndrome). Also an Alcoholic.

Scrooge, is a charity worker, who still can contact the spirit world. He gets hauntings still from marley who is like a guardian angel/devil. He has no moiney himself now as he has given it away to better causes.

Van Helsing is the straight laced lets go by the plan guy. He doesnt get bought and things like that. When he is fighting sometimes gets a little enraged with all the death that he sees.

Ahab, Delerious completely still thinks that he is after the whale even though the whale was killed and he miraculously survived. Ace Harpoonist but sometimes sees the whale. In his mind.

Tarzan, has come back to look for his heritage so you have the wild man in suits trying to fit in. Failing mostly also a straight laced character, he just doesnt fit into society.

Dr. Doolittle, can't talk to the animals, he has a very high empathy with them, Polynesia the parrot can talk to the animals though. And doesnt always tell Doolittle everything. Polly is like a running imp or gremlin to doolittle.

I also have NPC of a very young William Wonka who is trying to set up a confectionary business so is studying under Phileas Fogg.

Aleister Crawley is part of their group and masquerading as their freind even though he is the ultimate evil they will face.

They have tangled with the likes of Spring Heel Jack, and they are on the case of Jack the Ripper which they dont know and thank god they dont read this forum. They are both lesser demons summoned by Crowley.

Another friend wants to join and wants to play man Friday. Which is a really cool literary figure. And I really want him to play it. BUT.........the book is set over 200 years before I have set the adventures.

If anyone has any suggestions.

I had the same problem with the Baron Munchausen as he was set 400 years before, but got out of that by the baron telling everyone that he is over 1000 years old. they dont even know if this is the same Baron from history.

Re: League quirks

I had the same problem with the Baron Munchausen as he was set 400 years before, but got out of that by the baron telling everyone that he is over 1000 years old. they dont even know if this is the same Baron from history. [/b]

think also of the count of Saint-Germain.

there was talkings in my own group last week to know which character the players would play :

basically there would be :

Nils Holgersson, now a full grown man. Has retained the ability to shrink at very small size.

Pinocchio, first a real little boy and then a real man. Jiminy Cricket is still giving him advices from his shoulder. can turn his body to wood at will.

Lygeia

Source: a combination between "the little Matchgirl" and Edgar Poe's Lygeia.

Lygeia died as a young age on Christmas eve in Copenhagen during the 1850's. she grew up in the netherworld and was brought back to life by a medium in a full-grown female body.

She has the ability to light "matches" (will'o'the'wisps actually). these small flames distort the perceptions of others (images/mental illusions) for short lengths of time.

Capt'n Nicholl

Source: "from earth to moon" J. Vernes; Cyrano de Bergerac.

only surviving member of the earth-moon ship crew. The rocket crashed on the moon a few years ago; Barbicane and Ardan were killed during the crash but Nicholl was saved by a colony of aliens installed on the hidden face of the moon (the same selenites encountered by cyrano de Bergerac duing the XVIIe). they "rebuilt" Nicholl and granted him their ability to "ride moonlight". can teleport and become desolid.

As a personal note, i'm not very pleased of some of the results. the characters are maybe too different from their inspirations. BTW, i don't think we'll eve have the time to make it.

Re: Man Friday

still need help to get manfriday in there

Man Friday accompanied Crusoe on an expedition to the Americas, drank from the Fountain of Youth and became immortal? (Regeneration + Ressurection Adder)

Knowing the secret location would make a good reason for him to be hunted.

Keith "Mr. Helpy-Guy" Curtis

Re: Extradimensional menace!

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

Digory Kirke (bonus question: Who recognizes this name?)

---

If you're letting Kirke into the game, why not his old nemesis, Jadis of Charn, Queen of Narnia? Nothing like an extradimensional tyrant with minions from classical mythology to shake up those smug Edwardian rationalists.

Wasn't Kirke the one who liked Jadis and kept calling her a "dem fine girl"? I mean it has been awhile since I've read the Narnia books, but I was under the impression that Jadis would've never left Charn if it hadn't been for him.

Close, but...

Wasn't Kirke the one who liked Jadis and kept calling her a "dem fine girl"? I mean it has been awhile since I've read the Narnia books, but I was under the impression that Jadis would've never left Charn if it hadn't been for him.

---

Actually, it was Digory's unscrupulous uncle, a would-be magician, who had a crush on Jadis. He's the one who sent Digory and friend Polly hurtling through alternate dimensions. For her part, Jadis loved only one thing, herself, and saw Uncle Andrew's experiments as means to conquer yet another world for her amusement.

Re: Close, but...

Actually, it was Digory's unscrupulous uncle, a would-be magician, who had a crush on Jadis. He's the one who sent Digory and friend Polly hurtling through alternate dimensions. For her part, Jadis loved only one thing, herself, and saw Uncle Andrew's experiments as means to conquer yet another world for her amusement. [/b]

Oh that's right, like I said it's been a long time since I last read the Narnia books. Obviously I should make a point of reading them again. However, my point about Digory being responsible for Jadis escaping is true, since he's the one who rang the bell that let her go. I distinctly remember that.

Where indeed?

"The humans died of martians..." Nice line.

I'd spotted/guessed what type of hybrid Moreau was providing, especially given the source material for the invaders, but nonetheless I loved Nemo's reaction to the whole thing.

Is it just me or does Alan Moore seem cynical/suspicious of authority figures?

V