Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Killer Shrike

We're building out a new Urban Fantasy Monster Hunter campaign based in part on my old Demon Hunter: FBI setting from the Haymaker and EZHero days, and influenced heavily by the recent novel Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia.

Here is the site:

Here There Be Monsters.

UPDATE:

The site is fully fleshed out with Origins, custom Abilities and Powers such as Hex, Intervention, Invocation, Exorcism, and Supernatural Suppression, 40 sample starting characters across the five Origins of Believer, Mystic, Psychic, Innati, and Professional, 20+ NPCs (and growing), 3 "Vignette" adventures with character writes ups and plot-lines, and sundry other things.

This is a collaborative process, and content submissions are welcome.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Well, it just so happens that while fiddling a couple of weeks ago, I built a 'monster hunter' for a hypothetical Dark Champions game. This is a US military special forces operative tasked with identifying and neutralizing monster threats. Basically the liaison between the authorities and the group so they can get on with their job. Unfortunately the perks required for the conception, cost so much that there was not room for martial arts and a few more 'flavor' skills to more define the character's military background. I assumed a standard 225 points for a Dark Champions campaign.

Killroy

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

13 DEX 6

13 CON 3

13 BODY 3

18 INT 8

13 EGO 3

18 PRE 8

4 OCV 5

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

8 PD 6

3 ED 1

4 SPD 20

7 REC 3

30 END 2

30 STUN 5

13m RUN 1

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 94

Cost Power

3 "Really Tough": Resistant Protection (1 PD/1 ED)

6 "Only a Flesh Wound": Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Does not protect from first point of body; -1/2)

7 "Melee Awareness": +3 DCV (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only in Hand to Hand; -1)

3 +1 PER with all Sense Groups

Powers Cost: 19

Cost Skill

12 +4 with a small group of attacks "Sniper Rifles"

4 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Penalties with Sniper Rifles with to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with any three maneuvers or tight group

3 "Concealed Rifle" +7 with single Skill or Characteristic Roll (14 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only for concealing Rifles; -1 1/2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when wearing a trench coat; -1), Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll; Requires a Dex roll if engaged in vigorous movement.; -1/2), IIF (Special harness; -1/4)

3 Concealment 13-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Tracking 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 KS: Military 13-

3 PS: Military General 13-

Skills Cost: 43

Cost Perk

5 "Monster Hunter - Detached Special Forces - Rank" Fringe Benefit: General

27 Contact: US Military (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (27 Active Points) 12-

10 Fringe Benefit: Improved Equipment Availability Advanced Military equipment

10 Fringe Benefit: License to Kill

5 Fringe Benefit: International Police Powers

2 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate)

2 Fringe Benefit: Heavy Weapon Permit

1 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License

1 Fringe Benefit: Passport

6 Money: Wealthy

Perks Cost: 69

Cost Standard Equipment (Equipment costs do not actually figure in Total Cost. They are included here for reference only.)

"CQB/Sniper Custom .50 Cal. Barret 95, 20" Barrel, 36" Length, 17 lbs": Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1, 8 clips of 6 Charges (-0), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/4), Line Of Sight (+1/2) (100 Active Points); STR Minimum 19 and higher (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work in extremely confined spaces; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Side Effects (Extremely loud; -1/4)

Trijicon ACOG Red Dot Sight & Riflescope: (Total: 34 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) +2 with Ranged Combat (Real Cost: 16) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifiers with to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with all attacks (Real Cost: 12) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (Real Cost: 6)

Concealed 'Dragon Skin' Body Armor Clothing: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Half Mass (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (-1/4), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Half Mass (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Real Armor (-1/4), Requires A Roll (12- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Requires A Roll (9- roll; -1), Half Mass (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

S&W .460 Caliber, Model 460 XVR Revolver - 8 3/8": Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (44 Active Points); STR Minimum 14-18 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/4), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), 4 clips of 6 Charges (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Military Frequency Hopping, Burst Transmission Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Concealed (-8 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls)

Total Character Cost: 225

Base Points: 225

Iconic Characters:

I have identified the following iconic characters to start with. I'll eventually get around to making them if no one else will, but I think it would be really interesting to see other people's take on them as well. This list isn't meant to be comprehensive; in fact if I run true to form I'll end up with many more iconics before its all said and done.

The Iconics have been used in examples for custom campaign abilities, so I've extracted the abilities they are mentioned to have from the text. Other than that, its an open field.

Each iconic should be a starting character, 125 points (Base 75, Max Complications 50, Experience 0), with 25 free points to seed Resource Pools in addition to base and complications. Characteristic Maxima of 20 and Skill Maxima of 14- are in effect.

Iconics:

Joseph Blanc - Mystic Hermetic Wizard, Alert, two Wands and a Staff (note, in the Hermetic Wizard document I goofed and called the character Joseph Waller because I couldn't recall what I originally intended to name him. I'll get that changed tonight to be Joseph Blanc)

Tyrone "Big T" Jackson - Believer, 5d6 Heroic Recovery

Leo Gattling - Professional, 2d6 Lucky Damage Dice

Michaila Bast - You Pick - Miraculous Survival (at least 2 levels)

Doc Allosious Jones - Psychic - Supernatural Resistance: 5

Hopefully some of you will lend your talents to this task. If your character is used you will be credited, so be sure to include the name under which you would like to be credited.

Well, it just so happens that while fiddling a couple of weeks ago, I built a 'monster hunter' for a hypothetical Dark Champions game. This is a US military special forces operative tasked with identifying and neutralizing monster threats. Basically the liaison between the authorities and the group so they can get on with their job. Unfortunately the perks required for the conception, cost so much that there was not room for martial arts and a few more 'flavor' skills to more define the character's military background. I assumed a standard 225 points for a Dark Champions campaign.

Cool.

This character could be toned down a bit to fit HTBM; a lot of the Perks are streamlined which would yield back a lot of points. The Improved Access perks aren't used at all; the Equipment Pool is for standard and street stuff, the Professional Pool covers the remainder without need for an additional perk so that recoups 10 points.

The 1 point Monster Hunting License covers the MH perk you have as well as a License to Kill, and a Concealed Weapon Permit within the context of hunting monsters so that recoups 16 points. (The Monster Hunter License covers a lot of things and should properly cost more, but as all PC's are assumed to have it as a campaign enabler, the cost is set to 1 point to avoid needless inflation.)

Wealth 6 is over HTBM starting limits and would be dialed down to at least 5, recouping at least 1 point.

"Really Tough", "Only a Flesh Wound", "Melee Awareness", and "Concealed Rifle" would all be moved into the Professional Pool, shifting 19 points.

In HTBM, Hunters are free agents similar to Bounty Hunters and only liaison w/ government types as necessary, so if the character were recast as a former Special Forces guy that became a Hunter after leaving the service the expensive Contact could be watered down or removed; also the Contact Resource Pool would be used to cut the cost further if some vestige of it remained.

His stats could be watered down a bit and still be competitive in the lower power level of HTBM, and some of his Skill are marginal or could be Fams to start out to make up the remainder of points if that didn't get us under points.

I dig. I also recognize a lot of your Metacyber stuff, which I love.

However, I suggest you edit the "Experience" paragraph under the Starting page of the paradigm assumptions. It references hacking a corporate mainframe as an example, but that doesn't seem as pertinent to this game/your other examples.

I dig. I also recognize a lot of your Metacyber stuff, which I love.

However, I suggest you edit the "Experience" paragraph under the Starting page of the paradigm assumptions. It references hacking a corporate mainframe as an example, but that doesn't seem as pertinent to this game/your other examples.

Yes, I see that. Thanks! Stupid Copy & Paste errors.

I also see that the chart for points shows the right numbers, but the lead up text says 100 base points when it should say 75, and on the Assumptions page there is a mention of 5 points to seed resource pools when its actually 25. There are also some minor unclear terms or names here and there.

As always, I need an editor. I give everything a few once-overs, but stuff still slips through.

Yes, I see that. Thanks! Stupid Copy & Paste errors.

I also see that the chart for points shows the right numbers, but the lead up text says 100 base points when it should say 75, and on the Assumptions page there is a mention of 5 points to seed resource pools when its actually 25. There are also some minor unclear terms or names here and there.

As always, I need an editor. I give everything a few once-overs, but stuff still slips through.

I've corrected all the obvious errors that I'm aware of, including the MetaCyber artifact Manic Typist found, and the rename of example character Joseph Waller to Joseph Blanc previously noted.

Panpiper: Your "Really Tough" and "Only A Flesh Wound" seem to be slightly odd to me. OAFW doesn't protect against the first point of body, but Really Tough, which is 1 resistant PD/ED, would protect against it, making the Limitation not limiting. What am I missing?

Panpiper: Your "Really Tough" and "Only A Flesh Wound" seem to be slightly odd to me. OAFW doesn't protect against the first point of body' date=' but Really Tough, which is 1 resistant PD/ED, would protect against it, making the Limitation not limiting. What am I missing?[/quote']

The first body gets stopped by the "Really Tough", making him essentially impervious to minor cuts and scratches. Whatever body penetrated that first level of protection, reaching the "Only A Flesh Wound" with have the first body inflicted, followed by three body stopped. So:

1 body is completely stopped.

2 body and one gets through

3 body, one gets through

4 body, one gets through

5 body, one gets through

6 body, two gets through, as will any additional body.

Note however that if additional armor is worn, as for instance a bullet resistant vest as equipment, the vest would have effect before the points bought 'powers'. (At least that is how I would treat it.) So if the character were wearing a Def 6 vest and it was struck, 7 body total would be stopped by the vest and the one point of "Really Tough". The eighth body would penetrate, and the nineth, tenth and eleventh body would then be stopped by the "Only A Flesh Wound".

Killroy

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

13 DEX 6

13 CON 3

13 BODY 3

18 INT 8

13 EGO 3

18 PRE 8

4 OCV 5

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

8 PD 6

3 ED 1

4 SPD 20

7 REC 3

30 END 2

30 STUN 5

13m RUN 1

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 94

Cost Power

6 "Only a Flesh Wound": Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Does not protect from first point of body; -1/2)

7 "Melee Awareness": +3 DCV (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only in Hand to Hand; -1)

3 +1 PER with all Sense Groups

Powers Cost: 19

Cost Skill

12 +4 with a small group of attacks "Sniper Rifles"

4 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Penalties with Sniper Rifles with to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with any three maneuvers or tight group

3 "Concealed Rifle" +7 with single Skill or Characteristic Roll (14 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only for concealing Rifles; -1 1/2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when wearing a trench coat; -1), Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll; Requires a Dex roll if engaged in vigorous movement.; -1/2), IIF (Special harness; -1/4)

3 Concealment 13-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Tracking 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 KS: Military 13-

3 PS: Military General 13-

Skills Cost: 43

Cost Perk

5 "Monster Hunter - Detached Special Forces - Rank" Fringe Benefit: General

27 Contact: US Military (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (27 Active Points) 12-

10 Fringe Benefit: Improved Equipment Availability Advanced Military equipment

10 Fringe Benefit: License to Kill

5 Fringe Benefit: International Police Powers

2 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate)

2 Fringe Benefit: Heavy Weapon Permit

1 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License

1 Fringe Benefit: Passport

6 Money: Wealthy

Perks Cost: 69

Cost Standard Equipment (Equipment costs do not actually figure in Total Cost. They are included here for reference only.)

"CQB/Sniper Custom .50 Cal. Barret 95, 20" Barrel, 36" Length, 17 lbs": Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1, 8 clips of 6 Charges (-0), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/4), Line Of Sight (+1/2) (100 Active Points); STR Minimum 19 and higher (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work in extremely confined spaces; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Side Effects (Extremely loud; -1/4)

Trijicon ACOG Red Dot Sight & Riflescope: (Total: 34 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) +2 with Ranged Combat (Real Cost: 16) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifiers with to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with all attacks (Real Cost: 12) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (Real Cost: 6)

Concealed 'Dragon Skin' Body Armor Clothing: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Half Mass (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (-1/4), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Half Mass (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Real Armor (-1/4), Requires A Roll (12- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Requires A Roll (9- roll; -1), Half Mass (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

S&W .460 Caliber, Model 460 XVR Revolver - 8 3/8": Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (44 Active Points); STR Minimum 14-18 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/4), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), 4 clips of 6 Charges (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Military Frequency Hopping, Burst Transmission Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Concealed (-8 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls)

Total Character Cost: 225

Base Points: 225

wouldn't the license to kill havea"monster only "stipulation?

With these abilities in operation, I'm curious if stinging insects, poisoned blades or other types of carrier attacks would affect this character. If an attack must do body first in order to apply the character attack, you'd need an attack that can do two points of killing damage. I guess he doesn't need to fear poisoned shuriken.

Maybe drop the "Really Tough" ability and just go with "Only a Flesh Wound"?

wouldn't the license to kill have a"monster only "stipulation?

Military special forces have a somewhat loose interpretation of what constitutes a monster. If this character happened to stumble upon an Al-Qaeda cell, and capturing them would be inconvenient, he would be totally authorized to use lethal force. He would in fact have the equivalent of a license to kill, on the condition that he could justify his actions. James Bond for instance, the classic example of having a license to kill, cannot go around killing just anyone he wants because they pissed him off or whatever. His license is that when in his judgment, lethal force is necessary, he is pre-authorized to use it, much like a soldier is in a war zone. This character is for all intents, a character 'legally' in a war zone. To sum it up, the 'quote' I wrote down for this character is:

"I don't particularly want to kill you. It involves paperwork."

With these abilities in operation' date=' I'm curious if stinging insects, poisoned blades or other types of carrier attacks would affect this character. If an attack must do body first in order to apply the character attack, you'd need an attack that can do two points of killing damage. I guess he doesn't need to fear poisoned shuriken.[/quote']

He does if the Shuriken do more than one body.

Maybe drop the "Really Tough" ability and just go with "Only a Flesh Wound"?

On a lower points version (which I have yet to start work on), I very probably would.

"Equipment Pool: a characters normal gear, including weapons, body armor, and any useful gadgets. The Kit and Armory concept applies to Equipment; the number rating of the Resource Pool indicates how much gear a character can carry with them (their Kit); however they can have more things that are available to them with time and access (their Armory). Gear that would be considered "standard" or "street" level in a typical Dark Champions campaign can be taken in a character's Equipment Pool; more uncommon and special gear must be taken in an appropriate Special Pool."

Would it be reasonable to assume that anything that can be purchased off the Web by mail using a credit card would count as 'normal' gear? Whereas anything that requires the talents of a custom gun maker (or whatever) would count as professional pool equipment? Be careful, because I can buy a Barret 95 and Dragon Scale armor off the web if I have the right permits. A Barret can also be had from many gun shows. Dragon Scale would be harder to get.

I can fit Killroy into this setting at the stipulated points, by essentially removing the whole of his military background (which was half the concept behind him originally, the other half being the idea that if I lived in a world with monsters, 'I' would own a Barret). And the other thing I had to do to make him fit was to assume that a Barret and such is 'off the shelf' equipment, seeing as I could buy one at a gun show. I did away with the short barrel variant (which as far as game mechanics go was just chrome) as that would require a gunsmith.

Killroy

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

13 DEX 6

13 CON 3

13 BODY 3

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

13 PRE 3

4 OCV 5

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

7/14 PD 5

3/10 ED 1

3 SPD 10

7 REC 3

30 END 2

30 STUN 5

13m RUN 1

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 70

Cost Skill

2 WF: Small Arms

8 +4 OCV with with Custom Barret 95

2 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Penalties with Custom Barret 95 with to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with any single attack

3 Concealment 12-

1 Stealth 8-

1 Tracking 8-

3 Conversation 12-

3 High Society 12-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 KS: Supernatural World 12-

3 PS: Hunter 12-

Skills Cost: 32

+19 44 Point Professional Pool

8 "Only a Flesh Wound": Resistant Protection (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Does not protect from first point of body; -1/2)

4 "Heroic Healing Rate": Regeneration (1 BODY per Day)

3 Supernatural Resistance

3 "Concealed Rifle": +7 with single Skill or Characteristic Roll (14 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only for concealing Rifles; -1 1/2), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when wearing a trench coat; -1), Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll; Requires a Dex roll if engaged in vigorous movement.; -1/2), IIF (Special harness; -1/4)

15 "Custom 50 Cal. Barret 95, 20" Barrel, 36" Length, 17 lbs": (Total: 95 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1, 8 clips of 6 Charges (-0), Armor Piercing (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (75 Active Points); STR Minimum 19 and higher (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Extremely Loud; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work in extremely confined spaces; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +2 with a small group of attacks (6 Active Points); STR Minimum 19 and higher (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1 1/2), OAF (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Extremely Loud; -1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work in extremely confined spaces; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +4 to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with any three maneuvers or tight group (8 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -3/4), Lockout (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Extremely Loud; -1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work in extremely confined spaces; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (6 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -3/4), Lockout (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Does not work in extremely confined spaces; -1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

4 Concealed Body Armor Clothing: Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Half Mass (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (-1/4), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

4 8 Point Perk Pool

1 Supernatural Hunter License

2 Heavy Weapon Permit

5 Money: Well Off

Total:

Characteristics Cost: 70

Skills Cost: 32

4 8 Point Perk Pool

19 +19 Points in Professional Pool

Total Character Cost: 125 +

+25 +25 Point Professional Pool

Re-edited to put the special equipment inside of the 1 for 1 point professional pool as opposed to the 5 point per 1 character point equipment pool. Speed was dropped to 3. The upside is that the custom 'short barrel' version is now able to come back.

"Equipment Pool: a characters normal gear, including weapons, body armor, and any useful gadgets. The Kit and Armory concept applies to Equipment; the number rating of the Resource Pool indicates how much gear a character can carry with them (their Kit); however they can have more things that are available to them with time and access (their Armory). Gear that would be considered "standard" or "street" level in a typical Dark Champions campaign can be taken in a character's Equipment Pool; more uncommon and special gear must be taken in an appropriate Special Pool."

Would it be reasonable to assume that anything that can be purchased off the Web by mail using a credit card would count as 'normal' gear? Whereas anything that requires the talents of a custom gun maker (or whatever) would count as professional pool equipment? Be careful, because I can buy a Barret 95 and Dragon Scale armor off the web if I have the right permits. A Barret can also be had from many gun shows. Dragon Scale would be harder to get.

If you're the GM, its up to you.

The Equipment Pool is 1:5, so a GM should only allow a player to take things in it that they don't mind being heavily discounted. The cost of the Professional Pool is 1:1 so if a player wants to take an uber piece of gear in their Pro Pool...well, ok, they're paying normal price for it. Also, anyone can have Equipment, while only those of a Professional Origin or that have unlocked the Professional Pool for 5 points have access to it. So, if as the GM you are OK with Mystics, Psychics, and Believers wearing Dragon Scale armor and packing Barret 95s then its ok for such gear to be taken in the Equipment Pool. On the other hand if you think such things are the sort of gear that would allow Professionals to be competitive with the supernatural abilities the other three Origins can have then the Professional Pool is where such gear belongs.

Personally, if I'm the GM, then most forms of body armor are going to be "military" or "enforcement" level. There might be some "street" equivalent but it should be not as good. As to guns, if its something that's not legal for a non-military / non-enforcement person to own - such as fully automatic weapons, RPGs, grenades, sniper rifle, etc - then its Professional Pool only. And even then, a "professor of cryptozoology" would have to work harder justifying it than a "former SF guy" or "former SWAT guy". On the other hand the "former SWAT guy" would have to work harder to justify a Cryptobiology: Detect Supernatural Creature Susceptibilities & Vulnerabilities Super Skill while the "professor of cryptozoology" would pretty much get a rubber stamp on an ability like that.

So' date=' if as the GM you are OK with Mystics, Psychics, and Believers wearing Dragon Scale armor and packing Barret 95s then its ok for such gear to be taken in the Equipment Pool. On the other hand if you think such things are the sort of gear that would allow Professionals to be competitive with the supernatural abilities the other three Origins can have then the Professional Pool is where such gear belongs.[/quote']

I hear you. And no, if the other character archetypes can also pack such hardware, there would be little point playing a 'professional'. I have re-edited Kilroy above to put the heavy gear straight into a professional pool. He lost the Dragon Skin reinforcement to his armored clothing, and some backup gear as a result and his speed dropped to 3. There is a backlog on orders for Dragon Skin anyway, so it may take a few sessions (and XP) for it to show up in the mail. ;-)

Actually, when I first learned that your campaign was based on 125/150 points instead of 225, dropping the speed by one was pretty much the first decision I made for shaving points. But when I re-engineered Kilroy the first time, it was only while transcribing him to this forum that I realized that he was still at speed 4. So that was an easy ten points to scrounge while moving his heavy gear into the professional pool.

I hear you. And no, if the other character archetypes can also pack such hardware, there would be little point playing a 'professional'. I have re-edited Kilroy above to put the heavy gear straight into a professional pool. He lost the Dragon Skin reinforcement to his armored clothing, and some backup gear as a result and his speed dropped to 3. There is a backlog on orders for Dragon Skin anyway, so it make take a few sessions (and XP) for it to show up in the mail. ;-)

Actually, when I first learned that your campaign was based on 125/150 points instead of 225, dropping the speed by one was pretty much the first decision I made for shaving points. But when I re-engineered Kilroy the first time, it was only while transcribing him to this forum that I realized that he was still at speed 4. So that was an easy ten points to scrounge while moving his heavy gear into the professional pool.

Cool. Any chance you've got an hdc file?

Sent by Email.

Most excellent. I need to make a 6e version of my auto-hit location export, so it will likely be sometime this weekend before it goes up on the site, but after I have the template and campaign rules set up in HD the second and succeeding characters should go up as if they were teflon coated. ;)

I can fit Killroy into this setting at the stipulated points, by essentially removing the whole of his military background (which was half the concept behind him originally, the other half being the idea that if I lived in a world with monsters, 'I' would own a Barret). And the other thing I had to do to make him fit was to assume that a Barret and such is 'off the shelf' equipment, seeing as I could buy one at a gun show. I did away with the short barrel variant (which as far as game mechanics go was just chrome) as that would require a gunsmith.

Killroy

A prelim character sheet is up here:

Killroy

I still need to put some work in on the export template however.

Sabrina (Mystic Seer)

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

11 BODY 1

18 INT 8

13 EGO 3

13 PRE 3

3 OCV

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

4 DMCV 3

3 PD 1

3 ED 1

3 SPD 10

6 REC 2

30 END 2

22 STUN 1

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 45

Cost Skill

1 WF: Handguns

4 +2 OCV with Glock 20

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Magic Metaphysics (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: Occult History (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) KS: Other Hunters (3 Active Points) 13-

2 4) KS: Supernatural World (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Linguist

1 1) Language: Latin (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)

1 2) Language: French (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)

1 3) Language: Spanish (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 PS: Hunter 13-

Skills Cost: 31

Cost Perk

1 Supernatural Hunter License

1 +1 Point Equipment Pool

Perks Cost: 2

Cost Talent

10 Alert

10 Supernatural Awareness

12 Supernatural Resistance: 4

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

3 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

Talents Cost: 47

23 Point Mystic Pool

3 Pts: Decipher Ancient Texts: Universal Translator 13- (20 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to decipher written texts; -1), OIF Bulky (Requires access to reference books; Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4)

8 Pts: Vision Trance: Precognitive, Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), Discriminatory (70 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; Invokes a trance like state; -1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect occurs when character stops using power; Physically exhausted and confused afterwards (half DCV, etc., several minutes to recover); -1 1/2), Blackout (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (Just what information is revealed is not entirely under the character's control; -1/2)

12 Pts: Exorcism: Dispel Ghosts, apparitions, 'demons', possessions and summoned beings 5d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Cumulative (+1/2), Area Of Effect (16m Radius; +3/4) (41 Active Points); OAF (Religious Paraphernalia; Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

15 Point Equipment Pool

12 Pts: Glock 20, 10mm Automatic: (Total: 43 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 4 clips of 16 Charges (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus "Laser Pointer" +2 with a small group of attacks (6 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Not usable at extreme ranges; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunted: Supernatural Beings Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Authorities Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)

10 Psychological Complication: Paranoid (Common; Moderate)

10 Psychological Complication: Haunted by nightmares. Cannot always be sure they are not prophetic. (Common; Moderate)

5 Rivalry: Professional, Other seers and 'primary' investigators., Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry

5 Social Complication: Given to outbursts of prophetic warnings Infrequently, Minor

Disadvantage Points: 50

Characteristics Cost: 45

Skills Cost: 31

Perks Cost: 2

Talents Cost: 47

Total Character Cost: 125

Hero Designer File send by Email.