Ben Newman	4	6	3	3		+1 w Pistols				Scope +2 w Attached Gun			N		3	Psychic
Sabrina		3	5	3	5		+2 with Glock 20			Scope +2 w Attached Gun			N		3	Psychic
Franken-Doc	3	3	3	3		+1 Overall									N		2	Psychic
Jennifer Hale	2	2	7	7												N		2	Psychic

Master Shuida	3	3	3	3												N		2	Mystic
Karl Bocher	4	4	3	3		+1 Overall; +1 w Grenades		+2 Overall				N		2	Mystic
Joseph Blanc	5	5	3	3												N		3	Mystic
Murgatroyd	4	4	4	4		+1 w Ring of Arcane Blasting, 							N		2	Mystic
						+3 with Arcane Magic (Offensive Use Only)

Average		3.84	4.21	3.32	3.47														2.79	

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

I am working on an exorcist concept. He is technically 'Christian' from the Eastern Orthodox church, just because virtually all film and book references I am familiar with that deal with exorcism are Christian. (Though a Voodoo priest could well be a great concept as well.) I am fleshing out his background and such and will Email to you KS, the Designer file fairly soon. I am leaving his 25 point believer pool entirely unspent, for you to fill in. The rest of him is well conceived, and he might already, without any believer pool, be an extremely effective exorcist, depending upon the chosen mechanic for treating exorcisms.

Edit: Designer file sent.

I am working on an exorcist concept. He is technically 'Christian' from the Eastern Orthodox church, just because virtually all film and book references I am familiar with that deal with exorcism are Christian. (Though a Voodoo priest could well be a great concept as well.) I am fleshing out his background and such and will Email to you KS, the Designer file fairly soon. I am leaving his 25 point believer pool entirely unspent, for you to fill in. The rest of him is well conceived, and he might already, without any believer pool, be an extremely effective exorcist, depending upon the chosen mechanic for treating exorcisms.

Sweet; I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Exorcists: If one wants to make Believers significantly better at Exorcism than the other groups but without trying to think of 3+ ways to do it, one could simple set a campaign standard. In this case it would be "If one is a Possessor, then one must take "vulnerability to Exorcism from Believers." This could be further modified if particular faiths have greater affect against particular possessors.

Obviously YMMV, but the way I look at the special effects, I would have all three be using Mind Control as the general baseline power. Mystics utilize magic forces to compel the possessor to leave (sounds like MC - single command - Leave!). Believers would seem to be using the same effect. Psychics, depending on the variety, would seem to be the ones most likely to have an EDM with "Requires Ego Roll." It is their sheer force of will that acts upon the possessor and a Ego skill contest seems a good way to represent that. Add on a "Side effects" aspect to show that they gain the complications "vulnerable" if they loose.

How does this keep the paradigm that prefers the believers while still seeking some balance? First, a simple +50% effect vulnerability limitation gives a significant advantage to the Believer over the Mystic. Exceptionally week beings could have a x2 mod. Mysics have a simple mechanism that reflects their ability to manipulate the compulsive aspects of magic. Psychics are the ones that have the rough shot in that it can be quite risky if they fail but is overall moderately priced.

La Rose.

I didnt have time to sort out Exorcism last night, but Father Max as he stands currently is up.

Exorcism looks pretty solid. Can your "success levels" be reduced to lower than 0 by failed rolls? In your example with Blaise, he fails his first roll, giving the target 2 levels of success against him, if he had any successes, they would have dropped by 2, because he didn't have any, is he dropped to -2?

I hope not.

Exorcism looks pretty solid. Can your "success levels" be reduced to lower than 0 by failed rolls? In your example with Blaise, he fails his first roll, giving the target 2 levels of success against him, if he had any successes, they would have dropped by 2, because he didn't have any, is he dropped to -2?

I hope not.

Good question; I overlooked that aspect.

Michael Blaise would be at -2 levels of success and have a hole to dig himself out of. I'll update the example appropriately when I get home tonight.

I'll add a Talent as well that makes 0 the floor for a given character.

I think you pulled it off KS. Doing an exorcism versus a reasonably powerful possessor demon would take time and have very good reason for the presence of other non-exorcist characters to keep the exorcist from being interrupted during the process. (I expect a lessor possessor demon might simply be tied down and be quickly excised.) I do not have the APG and so don't know how much of this is your own invention, but I find it quite sound.

It would be useful as well for any prospective GM wanting to run this campaign to perhaps have a bit of a packaged adventure, wherein they are engaged to cast out a possessor demon. That would require delineating the demon's abilities and give examples of what 'distractions' might be created or otherwise be available to the demon, that would involve the other characters in the process. Perhaps have two 'grades' of possessors, one that a regular 'believer' like Big T or Father Jacob might attempt that still requires the assistance of other characters, and then the demon that stars in 'The Exorcist' that requires someone like Father Max.

And I like the final version of Father Max. :-)

Edit: By the way, the Hero Designer file for Father Max is still the older version.

I think you pulled it off KS. Doing an exorcism versus a reasonably powerful possessor demon would take time and have very good reason for the presence of other non-exorcist characters to keep the exorcist from being interrupted during the process. (I expect a lessor possessor demon might simply be tied down and be quickly excised.) I do not have the APG and so don't know how much of this is your own invention, but I find it quite sound.

The APG just describes a consistent mechanic to accomplish the Possessor concept via the new Possession Power and the Projection / Merge options for Desolid, rather than the hodgepodge of wonky builds previously required to accomplish the same effect in previous versions of the rules.

Most of it is mine, building up off of the version I used ten years ago for Demon Hunter: FBI that I posted earlier. I tightened up the screws and added better structure and made the repercussion of failure more systemically regular rather than a custom mechanic I previously used. The allowance for people with a Believer Pool to buy effectively a price discounted bonus to their rolls was sufficient to lock in a deliberate advantage for a particular character type, and everything fell into place after that. The main new innovations are the various Talents that allow a character to be _better_ at it in various ways rather than just having a better roll.

It would be useful as well for any prospective GM wanting to run this campaign to perhaps have a bit of a packaged adventure, wherein they are engaged to cast out a possessor demon. That would require delineating the demon's abilities and give examples of what 'distractions' might be created or otherwise be available to the demon, that would involve the other characters in the process. Perhaps have two 'grades' of possessors, one that a regular 'believer' like Big T or Father Jacob might attempt that still requires the assistance of other characters, and then the demon that stars in 'The Exorcist' that requires someone like Father Max.

Well, as it happens, once the last iconic goes up (and I have an idea for that slot if I don't get a better submission first), we turn to on creating the bestiary of opposition. Possessor Daemons are on the "todo" list along w/ Vampires and Lycanthropes, bad Sorcerers, and Cultists as must-haves.

I'm hoping people will have ideas for less obvious baddies and we can build out a really cool library of "crawlin nasties" to Hunt.

And I like the final version of Father Max. :-)

Good. I think he's a great character overall and fits well. My original concern, sight unseen, was that he'd be too much like Father Jacob, but they are actually different enough to satisfy me.

I am concerned that the Shotgun is maybe a little heavy on the damage; I don't want to get into a arms race, but I'm nominally ok with it. I might add some more limitations to it if need be.

Edit: By the way, the Hero Designer file for Father Max is still the older version.

Yes, I forgot to push it; I'll get it tonight. I need to create a page for HD resources for the setting as well w/ the campaign rules and export template and misc files.

I am concerned that the Shotgun is maybe a little heavy on the damage; I don't want to get into a arms race, but I'm nominally ok with it. I might add some more limitations to it if need be.

I figured that the reduced penetration would be sufficient to balance it. But another limitation on it that would be entirely realistic is some sort of 'reduced by range limitation'. I am thinking perhaps bumping 'up' the damage by one DC and then giving it the limitation, looses one damage class per 2 meters, which would roughly approximate the real world effect of the shot spread loosing it's impact. It also adds an extra degree of tactics to the use of the gun, deciding whether to hold for a point blank shot, even though that might mean getting hit in melee... A close range shotgun blast 'is' absolutely devastating, but it is such a limited use weapon that most people carry different weapons.

I figured that the reduced penetration would be sufficient to balance it. But another limitation on it that would be entirely realistic is some sort of 'reduced by range limitation'. I am thinking perhaps bumping 'up' the damage by one DC and then giving it the limitation' date=' looses one damage class per 2 meters, which would roughly approximate the real world effect of the shot spread loosing it's impact. It also adds an extra degree of tactics to the use of the gun, deciding whether to hold for a point blank shot, even though that might mean getting hit in melee... A close range shotgun blast 'is' absolutely devastating, but it is such a limited use weapon that most people carry different weapons.[/quote']

Maybe converting the AoE Accurate to an AoE Cone Explosion No Range would do the trick.

Maybe converting the AoE Accurate to an AoE Cone Explosion No Range would do the trick.

Er... Ok, maybe I have completely misunderstood what that AoE Accurate means. What I understood is that it targets a single target, at a base DCV of 3 as if it were an area effect, but it can only hit one target. With an area effect cone, it would hit every target in the cone with no roll necessary. I see that as being a HUGE increase in the effectiveness of the attack, rather than a downgrade. Plus, it is completely wrong in terms of simulating the effect of a shotgun blast. A shotgun does not kill everything in a 60 degree spread in front of the shooter. That's a claymore mine, not a shotgun.

The idea with the AoE accurate was that a shotgun does hit an area. It is not however a 'large' area, but rather just enough to make it a base 'hit the area' instead of 'hit the target'.

(I notice as well that some people are giving shotguns an 'autofire' effect as well, which again in my opinion is completely wrong. The effect of getting hit with multiple 'buck shot' is the effect of 'reduced penetration' not 'roll damage twice'. It halves the effect, it doesn't double it.)

Er... Ok, maybe I have completely misunderstood what that AoE Accurate means. What I understood is that it targets a single target, at a base DCV of 3 as if it were an area effect, but it can only hit one target. With an area effect cone, it would hit every target in the cone with no roll necessary. I see that as being a HUGE increase in the effectiveness of the attack, rather than a downgrade. Plus, it is completely wrong in terms of simulating the effect of a shotgun blast. A shotgun does not kill everything in a 60 degree spread in front of the shooter. That's a claymore mine, not a shotgun.

The idea with the AoE accurate was that a shotgun does hit an area. It is not however a 'large' area, but rather just enough to make it a base 'hit the area' instead of 'hit the target'.

(I notice as well that some people are giving shotguns an 'autofire' effect as well, which again in my opinion is completely wrong. The effect of getting hit with multiple 'buck shot' is the effect of 'reduced penetration' not 'roll damage twice'. It halves the effect, it doesn't double it.)

Shotguns are often handled as spread weapons. {shrugs}. I don't think Accurate necessarily models shotguns particularly well either.

At any rate, I changed it back.

Also, useful info:

http://www.firearmsid.com/A_distshotpatt.htm

Updated Combat Averages:

Name		OCV	DCV	OMCV	DMCV		Levels					Gear					Maneuvers	Speed	Origin
Father Jacob	3	6	6	6												N		2	Believer
Big T		4	3	3	3		+2 w Bare Knuckle Brawlin							Y		2	Believer
Father Max	3	4	4	5		+2 w Double Barreled Shotgun							N		2	Believer	
Forosati Nik	5	8	3	3		+1 w Nikimenid 									Y		3	Believer	

Nikole Thrace	4	4	2	2		+1 w Retractable Fangs								Y		4	Innatus
Jon Bregg	4	3	3	3		+1 w Hunting Rifle								N		3	Innatus
Jon Bregg Were	4	3	2	2		+2 w Claws									N		3	Innatus
Cyrus Cimmeriad	4	3	3	4		+1 w Heavy Metal Scream								N		3	Innatus
Michaila Bast	3	6	3	3		+3 w Retractable Claws								N		5	Innatus

Clark Dugard	5	5	3	3		+3 w Desert Eagle								Y		3	Professional
Jimmy Chen	5	5	3	3		+1 w Insidious Snake Style							Y		4	Professional
Killroy		5	6	3	3		+2 w Barret 95				Scope +2 w Attached Gun			N		3	Professional
Jack Donaldson	4	4	3	3		+1 Overall									N		2	Professional

Ben Newman	4	6	3	3		+1 w Pistols				Scope +2 w Attached Gun			N		3	Psychic
Sabrina		3	5	3	5		+2 with Glock 20			Scope +2 w Attached Gun			N		3	Psychic
Franken-Doc	3	3	3	3		+1 Overall									N		2	Psychic
Jennifer Hale	2	2	7	7												N		2	Psychic

Master Shuida	3	3	3	3												N		2	Mystic
Karl Bocher	4	4	3	3		+1 Overall; +1 w Grenades		+2 Overall				N		2	Mystic
Joseph Blanc	5	5	3	3												N		3	Mystic
Murgatroyd	4	4	4	4		+1 w Ring of Arcane Blasting, 							N		2	Mystic
						+3 with Arcane Magic (Offensive Use Only)

Joe Mundane	2	2	2	2												N		2	Normal

Average		3.77	4.27	3.27	3.45														2.73	

So did you decide not to give Joe and Jane Mundanes one level of Suppression, contingent on not being exposed to the Supernatural world? I really liked that idea, personally, it made sense why Supernaturals* tend to be on the outskirts of society. It's also a kind of badass version of the idea that Mundanes don't see the supernatural events around them, because they can't, or they refuse to. It also speaks quite nicely to the idea that supernatural beings don't have power unless you believe in them (mostly used with gods), which I tend to like seeing in settings, but that's personal preference.

*We really need to come up with a name that the Hunters call supernatural prey, kind of like in WWZ the soldiers called zombies Zack. This is pretty arbitrary but I find that a little Hunter slang can really flesh out a world.

Though sometimes it just gets in the way.

Invocation

Nice, elegant and simple. All the flexibility one could desire, very much not over powered (unless one feels flexibility is itself power) and with a fun feedback to play with. It might be nice to add a few sample side effects other the obvious energy blast 'zot'.

Intervention

Entirely thematic for believers. I've never actually seen a player purchase a luck dice before but it makes more sense for a believer than most other character concepts. There are so many more consistently reliable ways to spend five points. At three points however, it could well be worthwhile for a character to make the purchase. I still wouldn't myself I expect, as without spending a 'lot' of points, it still wouldn't likely do the job when you really need it to, but that only means that in my opinion, it is not 'under' priced.

Updated Combat Averages

Did you include Joe Mundane in the averages? ;-)

Forosati Nik

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the complication:

10 Hunter's Burden: Professional (Evil Supernatural Entities; Rival is A Group; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival)

I like the character conception and it all hangs together quite nicely, except for one niggling detail. As a GM I would be quite concerned that she actually isn't 'powerful' enough. A 4D6 kick, even with 3 lucky damage dice, just isn't very impressive. Yes, she's got knees and elbows for 2D6 killing, but in the end, that's pretty much 'all' she's got. Maybe her 'sweeping kicks' and her 'tripping kicks' could be merged together in a custom maneuver built to give her a 6D6 kick attack? (I don't have the Martial Artist book so I don't know if that is legal on a character that would then only have three maneuvers.)

*We really need to come up with a name that the Hunters call supernatural prey...

Spook.

So did you decide not to give Joe and Jane Mundanes one level of Suppression' date=' contingent on not being exposed to the Supernatural world? I [i']really[/i] liked that idea, personally, it made sense why Supernaturals* tend to be on the outskirts of society. It's also a kind of badass version of the idea that Mundanes don't see the supernatural events around them, because they can't, or they refuse to. It also speaks quite nicely to the idea that supernatural beings don't have power unless you believe in them (mostly used with gods), which I tend to like seeing in settings, but that's personal preference.

Well, I know its not apparent, but I'm not actually the GM for this campaign. I'm doing all the development because I'm good at it, but the GM is actually WilyQuixote who just lurks and talks to me directly. He's really not a voice in my head...there isn't room in there anyway what with Elvis and Napolean and Harvey already taking up so much space.

He would have to make a decision like that as it would hugely effect the nature of the campaign.

Personally, I wouldn't implement that idea in a Here There Be Monsters campaign myself. I played a lot of White Wolf back in 1e and 2e, primarily Mage the Ascension, and I'm kind of played out on that particular idea.

Don't get me wrong, it works, and I wouldnt bat an eye if a given GM using this material opted to do it as it is thematic and does add another dimension to the setting.

I think what I should do is add a block of description on it as an option in the GM documents as something to be turned on or off as the GM sees fit to burn in the tone / feel of their version of the setting.

*We really need to come up with a name that the Hunters call supernatural prey, kind of like in WWZ the soldiers called zombies Zack. This is pretty arbitrary but I find that a little Hunter slang can really flesh out a world.

Though sometimes it just gets in the way.

Definitely. I'm all game for flavor when its not lame. If people want to submit a list we can compile it and put up a "slang" document.

I already used the old standby "Leeches" for Vampires. Hit me up with more and when theres enough of them I'll throw up a doc.

Invocation

Nice, elegant and simple. All the flexibility one could desire, very much not over powered (unless one feels flexibility is itself power) and with a fun feedback to play with.

Yeah, I've been mulling it over for a few days, tried a couple of different mechanics and landed on this one as a good fit. I think it turned out pretty well. I tracked it against a Cosmic VPP with a big side effect Incantations and RSR, and pushed the numbers around a bit to hit what feels like a good balance point. I tacked on the "lingering" aspect at the end so as to pad it a bit and not put the price per die at an irregular number.

It might be nice to add a few sample side effects other the obvious energy blast 'zot'.

Definitely. If only I had infinite time :(

Intervention

Entirely thematic for believers. I've never actually seen a player purchase a dice of luck before but it makes more sense for a believer than most other character concepts. There are so many more consistently reliable ways to spend five points. At three points however, it could well be worthwhile for a character to make the purchase. I still wouldn't myself I expect, as without spending a 'lot' of points, it still wouldn't likely do the job when you really need it to, but that only means that in my opinion, it is not 'under' priced.

Yes. The cost is actually 4 per d6 (1d6 of Luck = 5 Points, Only While In Good Standing (1/4) = 4 points), but 4 points would buy something better (like Heroic Recovery ;) ), so I discounted it to 3 per d6.

For 36 points a character could have 12d6 of Intervention, and reliably get 2 levels of effect, with 3 levels of effect (miraculous coincidence events) being a reasonably reachable level of effect.

For 72 points a character will reliably get 4 levels of effect (full blown miracles, narrative fiat in your favor). Basically reality bending level of effect.

I prefer more predictability for my own characters, but I think the potential of Intervention are viable for players that are comfortable with more variability.

Updated Combat Averages

Did you include Joe Mundane in the averages? ;-)

Yes, his numbers should be reflected. I'll check the spreadsheet later to make sure (I added the row at the bottom of the characters, and the cells might not be included in the average function cell block).

Forosati Nik

I'm not quite sure what you mean be the complication:

10 Hunter's Burden: Professional (Evil Supernatural Entities; Rival is A Group; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival)

She is compelled to fight evil supernatural baddies whenever she encounters them. She can't help herself. I built it this way instead of as a PsyLim as I wanted it to be basically Total, but the Psylim ends up being more points and having more weight than I think is warranted for this character.

I like the character conception and it all hangs together quite nicely, except for one niggling detail. As a GM I would be quite concerned that she actually isn't 'powerful' enough. A 4D6 kick, even with 3 lucky damage dice, just isn't very impressive. Yes, she's got knees and elbows for 2D6 killing, but in the end, that's pretty much 'all' she's got. Maybe her 'sweeping kicks' and her 'tripping kicks' could be merged together in a custom maneuver built to give her a 6D6 kick attack? (I don't have the Martial Artist book so I don't know if that is legal on a character that would then only have three maneuvers.)

Yeah...I should revisit that. I hate when combat efficiency and concept collide. This character was a struggle and I'm over all happy with the result, but its definitely not one of my best efforts.

For some reason the points just didnt stretch very far on her. I had damage classes to get her damage up but had to cut them to build out the concept. I've toyed with the idea of removing her 3d6 Lucky Damage Dice, which I think are thematic, and buy 2 or 3 damage classes.

She originally had a gun and a knife and the Lucky Damage Dice worked for all of her attacks making it more efficient, but she wasnt much of a Believer. As the concept moved around the Gear pool was dropped entirely.

Ill touch her up tonight and try to tweak her into a better place.

I did some tweaking of my own on Forosati Nik to see if I couldn't beef her up a bit and stay completely faithful to your conception. I think I succeeded. (Maybe too well?)

I Emailed the designer file to you.

Edit: And I just now realized that the designer file you had posted was not identical to the posted HTML version. I tweaked the designer version, and so with 'my' tweak, she has her sports car, money perk and full languages and knowledges back.

I did some tweaking of my own on Forosati Nik to see if I couldn't beef her up a bit and stay completely faithful to your conception. I think I succeeded. (Maybe too well?)

Edit: And I just now realized that the designer file you had posted was not identical to the posted HTML version. I tweaked the designer version, and so with 'my' tweak, she has her sports car, money perk and full languages and knowledges back.

yeah, that was yet another version of her. I think I went through 4 distinct versions and a few variations on them. I've been hacking at this character off and on for a while, in my head, on paper, and in HD. I usually would abandon a character that required this much struggle, but I wanted a non Abrahamic Believer so I kept at it.

The final version w/ Panpipers mods and some final tweaking is up.