Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Killer Shrike

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Ok...now the fun begins. We need monsters. I'll handle Vampires and Werewolves (I'll be building them up off of Jon Bregg and Nikole Thrace so as to keep it all internally consistent). Other than that, its an open field.

You guys have done such an awesome job on the characters, I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of monsters you'll come up with!

Hi All,

Great content! I’ve been meaning to get round to joining in the posting for a while! Anyway, here’s a monster to get things started (HDes file also attached).

Strike: Hopefully I’ve captured the flavour of the campaign setting but feel free to tweak anything that doesn’t work!

Lord of Flies (Suit Form)

The Figure before you wears stitched and sealed suit, pieced together from any available material: no portion of the creature’s flesh is visible. The creature shuffles towards you with obvious intent; its suit bulging oddly. You watch in horror as something shifts and ripples beneath the suit...

Val Char Cost

16 STR 6

10 DEX 0

16 CON 6

20 BODY 10

14 INT 4

12 EGO 2

30 PRE 0

4 PD 2

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

30 END 2

20 STUN 0

8m RUN -4

3m SWIM 0

3m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 43

Cost Power

15 Body of Flies: Does Not Bleed

15 Unremitting: Cannot Be Stunned

10 Dark Miasma: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only to Cause Fear (-1)

10 Hive Mind: Mental Defense (10 points total)

10 Call of Carrion: +5 PER with Smell/Taste Group

25 Corpse Gas: Drain STR 2d6, Alterable Origin Point, Area Of Effect (2m Radius; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (37 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) [Notes: Fumes curl around the figure, sickening you, making you feel weak.]

14 No Escape from Me: Clinging (26 STR)

15 Swarm Form (Flies): Multiform (75 Character Points in the most expensive form)

Powers Cost: 114

Cost Skill

6 Tracking 17- (13 Active Points); Only to trail quarry that has been injured by Lord of Flies (-1)

Skills Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 163

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Faith-based presence attacks (Common)

15 Distinctive Features: Amorphous, full-body suit: (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 35

Base Points: 163

Lord of Flies (Fly Swarm Form)

Val Char Cost

0 STR -10

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

5 INT -5

5 EGO -5

8 PRE -2

1 PD -1

1 ED -1

3 SPD 10

4 REC 0

20 END 0

15 STUN -2

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: -28

Cost Power

40 Swarm Body: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Not vs. AoE / Explosion attacks Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2)

10 Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Not vs. AoEattacks Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2)

24 Body of Flies: Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

4 Flight 4m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (6 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

13 Choking Swarm: Drain STUN 1d6+1, Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing); target holds his breath; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Cumulative (+1/2) (32 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Lord of Flies takes 1 BODY every time drain dice are rolled; -1), No Range (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 91

Total Character Cost: 63

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Physical Complication: extremely limited manipulation: (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 20

Base Points: 75

Hopefully not aliens?

I made allusions to both extra terrestrial and extra dimensional sources for the infestations but kept them vague enough to leave it to the GM's imagination.

I'd be happy to write up predators and aliens, but I think they would be a bit too high points wise for our starting type characters. And they are probably not enough of the supernatural bent to really fit.

This one's pretty nasty...

Living Death

The creature before you is withered, pathetic and insane. Hunters could be forgiven for underestimating this malevolent and petty spirit but many have learnt the hard way as, having dispatched a living death they then themselves become a victim of some freak, tragically unlucky circumstance...

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

18 DEX 16

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

14 INT 4

14 EGO 4

20 PRE 10

5 PD 3

5 ED 3

3 SPD 10

4 REC 0

20 END 0

15 STUN -2

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 60

Cost Power

53 Non-Physical Entity: Desolidification (affected by Holy powers and attacks), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (80 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

18 Life-seeker: Detect Life A Single Thing 12- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Tracking

25 Tragic Hunger: Detect Misery / Depression A Single Thing 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Tracking

10 Incorporeal: No Hit Locations

130 Inflict Misery: Hex (4d6), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Affects Physical World (+2) (130 Active Points) [Notes: Effect lasts until target suffers unluck. Attack made using OMCV]

Powers Cost: 236

Cost Skill

9 Mimicry 15-

Skills Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 305

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunger for Tragedy: Misery Takes 1d6 Damage (Uncommon; 1 Day; Addiction) [Notes: A Living Death must feed on the emotions of those who are depressed or otherwise miserable. ]

10 Psychological Complication: Desire to witness or cause misery, especially to feed (Uncommon; Strong)

Base Points: 325

I made allusions to both extra terrestrial and extra dimensional sources for the infestations but kept them vague enough to leave it to the GM's imagination.

I'd be happy to write up predators and aliens, but I think they would be a bit too high points wise for our starting type characters. And they are probably not enough of the supernatural bent to really fit.

Hmm....well, space aliens are not a good fit; this is supposed to b supernatural horror not sci fi. Extradimensional supernatural "entities" can be made to work pretty easily. I mean, really, we all know there's no real difference fundamentally, its just SFX. ;)

My gf is consuming most of my time this weekend, but I'll look at the file you sent as soon as I can this evening or tomorrow and apply a supernatural interpretation.

This one's pretty nasty...

Living Death

The creature before you is withered, pathetic and insane. Hunters could be forgiven for underestimating this malevolent and petty spirit but many have learnt the hard way as, having dispatched a living death they then themselves become a victim of some freak, tragically unlucky circumstance...

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

18 DEX 16

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

14 INT 4

14 EGO 4

20 PRE 10

5 PD 3

5 ED 3

3 SPD 10

4 REC 0

20 END 0

15 STUN -2

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 60

Cost Power

53 Non-Physical Entity: Desolidification (affected by Holy powers and attacks), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (80 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

18 Life-seeker: Detect Life A Single Thing 12- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Tracking

25 Tragic Hunger: Detect Misery / Depression A Single Thing 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Tracking

150 Inflict Misery: Major Transform 5d6 (Individual into unluckier individual (+3d6 unluck), Restored by ritual perfomed by a faith healer, on consecrated ground, using holy water), Affects Physical World (+2) (150 Active Points)

10 Incorporeal: No Hit Locations

Powers Cost: 256

Cost Skill

9 Mimicry 15-

Skills Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 325

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunger for Tragedy: Misery Takes 1d6 Damage (Uncommon; 1 Day; Addiction) [Notes: A Living Death must feed on the emotions of those who are depressed or otherwise miserable. ]

10 Psychological Complication: Desire to witness or cause misery, especially to feed (Uncommon; Strong)

Base Points: 325

This looks good, but you might want to look at the Hex power under abilities; its a direct way to apply Unluck usable in HtbM.

I am actually having a hard time coming up with 'monsters'. I guess I am more the standard fantasy trope sort, relying on the classic trolls and goblins. (Hmm... Maybe a take on the troll of fairy tales...)

Anyway, I have an idea for an adventure seed of sorts, a mini module that would introduce several NPCs (that may or may not last beyond the adventure), and give people an excuse to engage in that most classic of horror genres, night of the living dead sort. I have no interest in building a zombie per say (in fact I'd rather someone else do that), it's the characters that create the context that interests me. Do you want adventures, or should I Email that directly to your GM? ;-)

I am actually having a hard time coming up with 'monsters'. I guess I am more the standard fantasy trope sort, relying on the classic trolls and goblins. (Hmm... Maybe a take on the troll of fairy tales...)

Anyway, I have an idea for an adventure seed of sorts, a mini module that would introduce several NPCs (that may or may not last beyond the adventure), and give people an excuse to engage in that most classic of horror genres, night of the living dead sort. I have no interest in building a zombie per say (in fact I'd rather someone else do that), it's the characters that create the context that interests me. Do you want adventures, or should I Email that directly to your GM? ;-)

Well, a sample adventure (or adventures) sounds fantastic to me.

I'm all about collaboration, so I'd rather see it be built up collaboratively by interested parties. However, if you prefer creative control we'll take a polished final product as well.

On a side note, one of the successful things I did for MetaCyber was to solicit feedback on the various genre plot tropes, and build a randomized plot generator; we could do the same thing for Here There Be Monsters.

Zombies are on my list of TODOs, but the nice thing about zombies is there can be different flavors. Also, if someone else beat me to it, I'd be all good with that as well. My plan of attack was to take "Joe Mundane" as a base and layer on "dead thing" automaton powers and Life Support and call it a day.

I just moved in with my gf last weekend, and we just bought some furniture that will be delivered tomorrow, and got various domestic things today...plus we had tickets to opening night of the Opera last night...and we had a big multi family member combined birthday celebration today...so I've been a bit tapped out this weekend. I'm about to hang a bunch of drapes we bought today, and then break down some old furniture to make room for the new stuff coming tomorrow, so I might not get around to anything tonight. Keep the good stuff rolling in and I will get to it over the next couple of days, never fear. I'm still very engaged with Here There Be Monsters; real life just intrudes into my fun time occasionally ;)

Renamed Soul Wyrms; applied the Miniscule Size Package in lieu of permanent shrinking, made a minor tweak or two...re-branded to be Quilthoptic / Cthuluesque-ish.

Hi All,

Another write-up below. No stats as of yet (i'll edit the post with them ASAP).

Bean Shìth

This write-up is designed to make players question the morality of their occupation: Bean Shìth are not supernatural creatures but women and girls who tragically and unwillingly manifest extremely dangerous abilities over which they have limited control.

Description:

The Bean Shìth (of Scottish lore), Bean-Sidhe (of Irish lore) or Banshee (of modern lore), is often portrayed as a fey spirit; a foreteller of doom; an old hag, beautiful maiden, or goddess in disguise. However, these legends are only true in part. In modern times we know that the Banshee is not some fell spirit from the beyond, but rather a woman (young or old) who, for some unknown reason, suddenly manifests certain abilities. Whether these abilities arise from possession, epiphany or the awakening of latent hereditary supernatural talents, we are unclear. However, one thing is certain: the banshee, however inadvertent and unwilling a menace, is a threat to rational, common man.

The youngest verified banshee manifestation was recorded in 1856 by Kate Warne who was overseas visiting acquaintances in London at the time. The account is of Ailsa Tait, the daughter of Archibald Campbell Tait who, at the age of six, manifested banshee abilities. Ailsa’s abilities numbered amongst some of the most dangerous ever manifested and, unfortunately, the tale ends in tragedy when, despite Warne’s efforts, she was unable to ‘cure’ the young girl and, shortly afterwards, five of Ailsa’s siblings died of scarlet fever.

To this day, Archibald is accorded much respect amongst Hunters for the good work carried out throughout his lifetime and, most notably, during the latter period when - as the Archbishop of Canterbury - he did much to extend and improve the organisation of the Church in the Colonies and combat supernatural menace. Those in the know cite the tragedy of Ailsa’s condition as being the principle driver behind Tait’s later zealotry for the cause.

Background Info:

Under the Accords of Secrecy, should one manifest banshee abilities, they become the target of an automatic sanction.

Bean Shìth are women who suddenly find themselves having to cope with dangerous, sanity-damaging powers: cursed to see the death of every being they encounter; finding they are no longer able to gaze into a lover’s eyes, lest they drive them mad with visions of a million possible deaths; the Bean Shìth are no more, or less, evil than they were before the change. Most do not actively seek to inflict death and misery on others but it has a habit of following them around.

Some hunters refuse to take Bean Shìth commissions, whilst others do not.

Bean Shìth Package Deal

Cost Power

40 Fell Coronach: Drain CON and EGO 4d6, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+1/2), Constant (+1/2), Area Of Effect (20m Radius; Voice Range; +1) (160 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Power activates when person of note dies; -2), No Range (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2) [Notes: The Banshee's keening song is draining and often leaves the singer near exhaustion.]

23 Foresee Death: Precognitive Clairsentience (Mental, Hearing, Sight, Smell/Taste And Touch Groups), Discriminatory, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (127 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Always see death when touch target; -2), Must Touch Target Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Precognition Only (-1), Only Through The Senses Of Others (Experience Death as if Victim; -1/2)

19 Major Transform 4d6 (Individual into Individual with appropriate psychological complication arising from witnessing own death, Normal healing time), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Mental Defense; +0), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +1/4), Works against EGO, not BODY (+1/4) (70 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Always activates when someone stares into banshee's eyes; -2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target ([slightly Limited]; Sentient Beings; -1/4)

Powers Cost: +82

Cost Talent

3 Perfect Pitch [Notes: Often an early indication that the manifestation of banshee powers is imminent]

Talents Cost: +3

Total Powers Cost: +85

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Psychological Complication: Arising from forseeing all possible deaths when touch someone (Very Common; Total)

20 Physical Complication: May not intervene to prevent a death that they have forseen (physically paralysed upon attempt) (Infrequently; Fully Impairing)

20 Sanctioned: Hunters: Frequently (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)

Disadvantage Points: 65

Next…

The Morrigan

Let’s just say you don’t want to get into her bad books and even thinking about hunting Bean Shìth is almost guaranteed to bump you up her unpopular list…

P.S. I’m not going to bother statting the Morrigan out as she is meant as a possible recurring antagonist who finds eradicating nuisance hunters to be both rather easy and rather demeaning...