Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Killer Shrike

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Eh. The "official" way to do it is with Images to offset PER penalties. Personally, I think Change Environment would be a better fit but you can't give bonuses w/ CE (for no good reason, IMO). Anyway, Flashlights in the HERO System is not something I really want to spend more time discussing at this point in my life (after the semi-epic "Flashlight Fallacy" argument of years ago). In the context of a modern game using Equipment Pools I'm ok with just flat pricing it at a certain level and saying "it's a damn flashlight, enough already".

Open Call for characters: for any in the mood to produce characters I'd like to add some more Iconics.

As a reminder, "Iconics" in HtbM are built according to the guidelines for starting characters, and are usable as pre-generated characters, examples of various things permissible in the setting per the content provided, usage as NPC, for use in example text, and so forth.

http://www.killershrike.com/HereThereBeMonsters/Characters_Iconics.aspx

http://www.killershrike.com/HereThereBeMonsters/Paradigm_Starting.aspx

Nothing too crazy; again these characters need to be playable as starting characters and also serve as examples of what is permissible / possible in the setting.

I'm looking for the following gap fillers:

2 Professionals:

*Any non-military, non-former-cop, non-great-white-hunter concept. I'd like to see the Professionals get filled out with a little more diversity.

2 Innati:

*I would really like to add some kind of Celtic Faerie influenced character, but I know next to nothing about Celtic mythology.

*I would really like to see some kind of Asian-influenced Innati

1 Psionic (I'm working on an "autodidact" psionic):

*We haven't seen a real Telekinetic yet...preferably one with invisible TK vs Marvel Comics "colored blob" TK

1 Believer:

*I would really like to see a Buhddist, Muslim, or Hindi Believers. We've got a bunch of Christians thus far, and that is not the intent.

2 Mystics:

*I would like to see a Shaman and / or Spiritualist. It is slightly stereotypical, but I'm kind of surprised no one has tried a Native American shaman or something along those lines yet.

*I would like to see Mystic gadgeteer with a bunch of interesting magic items, in a Gadget Pool vpp. I may need to add some explaining content to the setting materials to guide this, but off hand a standard Gadget Pool Only for Magic Items bought under Mystic Resources should work without any special rules support.

Joe Dwarf: "every-dwarf" template. Dwarves exist in Here There Be Monster (they fall under the Innati Origin), but prefer to blend in with humanity, especially among groups where short stocky bearded people are prevalent...like motorcycle "clubs" for instance.

Goran: Dwarven motorcycle gang leader.

I am wandering into this way late guys, got a couple of character ideas for professionals

Stunt Man: a pretty normal guy with stage fighting skills or bare bones martial arts, who worked in a lot of grade B and Z movies, who at one point got the first hand experience of finding out that monsters really exist. he grew up

in a circus family, but decided to try something else.

Photographer: freelance photographer from downunder who learned his trade in the military, and worked in various places in africa and europe, he was working as a safari guide in africa when his safari was mostly wiped out

by a group of ivory poachers led by a witch doctor and his zombies

Occult Private Detective: Cajun born, from New Orleans, Mathias Cross is sorta a combination of Columbo and the Pink Panther, hes also a wild talent precog, and an alcoholic because of it. basic PI skills, his wild talent, and a couple

of dice of unluck

the Photographer and the OPI are old Bureau 13/Stalking the Night Fantastic characters that I am going to modify and resurrect for MHI etc

I am wandering into this way late guys, got a couple of character ideas for professionals

Stunt Man: a pretty normal guy with stage fighting skills or bare bones martial arts, who worked in a lot of grade B and Z movies, who at one point got the first hand experience of finding out that monsters really exist. he grew up

in a circus family, but decided to try something else.

I would drop the circus family bit as it just makes him seem like Dick Grayson, but otherwise this is a good Professional concept.

Photographer: freelance photographer from downunder who learned his trade in the military, and worked in various places in africa and europe, he was working as a safari guide in africa when his safari was mostly wiped out

by a group of ivory poachers led by a witch doctor and his zombies

Yes, excellent, but the trick would be explaining why he ends up in the States, where the HtbM setting is assumed to be focused.

Occult Private Detective: Cajun born, from New Orleans, Mathias Cross is sorta a combination of Columbo and the Pink Panther, hes also a wild talent precog, and an alcoholic because of it. basic PI skills, his wild talent, and a couple

of dice of unluck

This would be a "psychic" or possibly an "occultist" in HtbM. This is a great concept, but we already have Jake Donaldson and Sabrina (a detective and a precog); we'd need to add a twist to make him distinct. Shouldn't be too hard to do. How about instead of a general purpose precog, he's got a spidey-sense or an ability to "smell" or otherwise track supernatural emanations. That would make him a very different sort of character, and very useful.

hadnt even thought about Dick Grayson.... then again never much of a DC fan to begin with, easy enough to change that

as far as the Psychic goes, that works really well about the supernatural sense, and since its a wild talent its not quite a deux ex as it could be

as far as the photographer goes, I will have to work on some ideas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...