Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

Killer Shrike

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Urban Fantasy Setting: Here There Be Monsters

I dig it' date=' I dig it. A thumbnail sketch of what the current "world" or "status quo" of Supernatural existence would be nice as well.[/quote']

Yes, I agree. WilyQ and I need to sit down so I can extract that info from him. I've been leaving things very open because a) its an inclusive concept to begin with, and mystery doesn't hurt, and B) we haven't actually nailed down anything beyond the basics (lycantrhopes, vamps, etc) - and we haven't stat'd anything yet as we were waiting to see how the PC's turned out so we could get the threat range right.

Once we've got about 20 or so characters done (which we are close to), at least 4 characters for all 5 Origins essentially, we can move this to definition of the actual Supernatural threats.

We need some more Innatus concepts, if memory serves, and I need to get the remaining characters posted up.

The history is interesting. I have some thoughts on the unification of Germany under Prussian rule in the 1870's, the alliance between the Austrian Emperor and the Magyars to create the Austria-Hungary Empire, Italy trying to stay out of WW1 until it was clear who was winning, how Germany tricked/forced the Ottomans on to thier side, The Czar manipulated by Rasputin leading to the Russian Revolution... a subtext (or hidden history) could tie it all in.

I could kill many hours speculating, but I'd need some bread, cheese and wine* to do it right.

*a pretty girl to be impressed would be useful too, but not required.

Once we've got about 20 or so characters done (which we are close to), at least 4 characters for all 5 Origins essentially, we can move this to definition of the actual Supernatural threats.

Ghah! And here I thought we had a surfeit of characters.

I did send you Shannon O'Grady (Irish Cop - Gun Fu Expert), which was my successful attempt at designing a professional that did not resemble Killroy in the least (that was not easy for me). I would like to make a second stab at him however, if I could just figure out how to input a 'police expert' skill enhancer into Hero Designer. What I might do instead is to simply purchase all such skills as 'proficiencies' and let you define the enhancer.

I expect however that 'professionals' are easy to conceive. What are perhaps not so easy are 'believers' and apparently Mystics. I do have a vague conception of a 'holy warrior' that I might put numbers to. I have to also remember to fill in complications and backstory however. Odd for me to leave that out, seeing as how writing up backstories is how I initially got introduced to you. ;-)

On the mystics side we have two Hermetics and are all good there; we need an Occultist and an Alchemist. I plan to do the Alchemist because a) i need to crib the alchemy system together to support it and write the doc and B) because it was one of my initial ideas for a PC and I might just end up actually playing the character.

On the Believer side we have two Christian priests, one Catholic and one Protestant. We need to see other religions represented. A Jewish Kabbalist would be good (maybe Von D will come along and write one up), and the fourth slot can be a surprise, but something non judaic / christian would be ideal. We have Timothy Drakeford on the hook, but he doesn't feel like a Believer to me...he feels more like an oddball Mystic or Professional. Maybe a hybrid character that actually unlocks a second pool, which no one has done yet; the bg needs some work as well to remove the buffy-ish Observer concept...in fact, he probably works better with about 50 extra points added on and used as an NPC. Anyway, I'll sort that out in due time.

On the Psychic side, we have two psychic healers and a seer; some kind of aggressive psychic would be nice.

On the Professional side we have a surplus and actually have an overage. That's not a bad thing, and we'll use all the ones that have already been submitted, but we don't need any more new ones.

On the Innatus side, its pretty much an open field. I need to go over Another Skips' Bast submission carefully and get that up. That leave three open slots. To be honest, I thought I'd have to ride herd on this sort of character as I assumed most people would want to play a Blade like character or something along those lines, and am happily surprised that interests have been more varied. Really, I'm looking to you guys to surprise me with the Innati. If we can all stay mentally flexible to any tweaks that might be required to bring a cool concept into line with what works for the setting I think we have three open opportunities to do something cool here.

Ghah! And here I thought we had a surfeit of characters.

I did send you Shannon O'Grady (Irish Cop - Gun Fu Expert), which was my successful attempt at designing a professional that did not resemble Killroy in the least (that was not easy for me). I would like to make a second stab at him however, if I could just figure out how to input a 'police expert' skill enhancer into Hero Designer. What I might do instead is to simply purchase all such skills as 'proficiencies' and let you define the enhancer.

I'm thinking to beef O'Grady up and leave him an active cop on the force as an NPC / sympathetic contact type character. Don't worry about the points on him so long as he's not a Mary Sue.

EDIT: and oh yeah, the way to do a custom Enhancer in HD is:

Make a List

Add a "Common Adder"

Set its value to -1

Add a "Private Adder"

Set its value to the cost of the Enhancer (generally 3 points)

Add the abilities in the Enhancer to the List.

Done.

For skills like PSs, Languages, and KS's that get picked up by other Enhancers like Jack of All Trade, etc, I add additional Private Adders at -1 and name it after the skill its meant to offset to arrive at the correct overall cost. I'm erring on the side of generosity on that; a more hardline GM might say that a skill cost can only be reduced by one Enhancer. At this point range where every single point counts, I don't mind being a little generous in the interests of supporting a cool concept. In games where points are plentiful I figure players can free a few point up here and there to buy a flavorful skill. ;)

I expect however that 'professionals' are easy to conceive. What are perhaps not so easy are 'believers' and apparently Mystics. I do have a vague conception of a 'holy warrior' that I might put numbers to. I have to also remember to fill in complications and backstory however. Odd for me to leave that out, seeing as how writing up backstories is how I initially got introduced to you. ;-)

Murgatroyd has been the best all around first submission because his bg / bio was well defined and his mechanics matched it very closely, but the other three evolved into complete characters after a second pass.

It's all good.

KS, since I've already written a psychic, how do you feel about a combat monster true believer who's of a non-Abrahamic religion? Or, in another way, how do you feel about Gurkhas?

(My Gurkha started as a professional, one of the re-writes ended up closer to the believer concept.)

I'm having trouble with the mystic archtypes. I'm thinking of just writing him up, and letting you decide what subtype he fits in.

Oh, and I need to type up the backround for Ben Newman for you, and the final version... dangit, real life is intefering too much with my gaming.

Murgatroyd has been the best all around first submission because his bg / bio was well defined and his mechanics matched it very closely, but the other three evolved into complete characters after a second pass.

My favorite character so far that I put together was Sabrina. She's the character that would 'have' to be there if I was writing the TV show pilot. My next favorite is Clark Dugard, who is another character I would love to write into the TV show, and watch the sparks fly between him and Sabrina. ;-)

And I took a stab as my holy warrior and darned if he isn't basically a professional with the chrome of being a Buddhist. Argh.

KS, since I've already written a psychic, how do you feel about a combat monster true believer who's of a non-Abrahamic religion? Or, in another way, how do you feel about Gurkhas?

(My Gurkha started as a professional, one of the re-writes ended up closer to the believer concept.)

I'm having trouble with the mystic archtypes. I'm thinking of just writing him up, and letting you decide what subtype he fits in.

Oh, and I need to type up the backround for Ben Newman for you, and the final version... dangit, real life is intefering too much with my gaming.

I don't really know anything about Gurkhas, so it could be a good educational opportunity. As to Believer vs Mystic, if a character learns how to focus magic via some system of rules or as a direct and deliberate manipulation or as a simple act of will then it is Mystic. If they simply believe in some higher power(s) with a formalized dogma or belief system and bereft of their faith they are powerless then they are a Believer. Some concepts its kind of blurry...where ever religion gets mixed up with magic like Kabbalism or Santeria or Wiccans and depending on the specific religion and the individual it could go either way...mechanically it comes down to whether the "Only While In Good Standing With Faith" limitation makes sense for the character or not - if their faith is shaken can they still do supernatural things? If the answer is yes they are Mystics, if no they are Believers.

Interesting background. I like it and it gives me some ideas (only time will tell if they will flourish). I still have a half done Mystic idea and the unfinished Detective to work on. But I do have a question about the line between "Believers" and "Mystics." Where would you locate a spirit shaman that invokes animal spirits to aid him? I'd want to lean to Mystic but thought I'd ask*. Also, as far as alchemist and "non-Christian" characters go, I have an idea for a Daoist (ish) alchemist character.

Anyway, good to see things are progressing quickly on this.

La Rose.

PS: Have you asked Vondy for ideas?

*I ask because of a concept limitation of "must be in favor with called upon spirit." It seems close to the "must be in good standing with faith."

The animal shaman is currently slotted under "Spiritualists" in the Mystic doc; same as Santeria and Voodoo...and Ancestor Worship for that matter. Generally speaking, they probably work better as Mystics mechanically, since Believers have a consistent mechanic, while Mystics are all a little different. However, I could be convinced by a determined player on a particular character concept to go the other way if it made sense.

I have an idea for an Innatus.

Silas Cimmeriad: a heavy metal singer who got involved in a dark cult, ended up possessed by a daemon named Draimaniel, but ultimately managed to win control of his mind back and cage the daemon within himself -- effectively Binding the daemon. Now he focuses his efforts on saving other doomed souls who are possessed, in the sway of a cult, or suffering from the depredations of dark powers. He has some supernatural abilities based upon his mastery of the daemon within himself, focused mostly through his singing but including some basic physical advantages.

He should also have unusually high EGO and PRE.

If you can make an effective one on 150 points. Affects Physical World is going to make that difficult.

I might give it a go then, but it'll probably be more NPC material. I was originally conceiving of a more noncombat oriented support type (perhaps an archive figure). We'll see.

Explain?

In short, someone who Believes in science. I've mulled over this idea for a while now, and it actually seems like your setting description might have already carved out a niche for it. Someone who holds Reason, Truth, and Knowledge to be the highest axioms of existence. Science can and WILL explain everything. The Supernatural is not magical or mysterious but merely not understood...yet. With time and development, sufficient study will reveal all the secrets there are in a quantifiable manner. This person might view other Believer archetypes as merely another form of psychic who bear a crutch or mental block in which they've convinced themselves that their powers do not stem from them but rather some fictional otherworldly being. The Scientist-Believer could deliberately tap into such psychic powers him or herself however, understanding that it is a useful method of connecting with our primitive egos and subconscious abilities. He or she would use symbols (texts, tools, etc) of science and reason to help focus their "latent" abilities.

It's just a thought, perhaps for a very different flavor of Believer.

Okay' date=' so I'm trying to work on a Detective / Private Eye style character....[/quote']

Okay, the following is the end version of the character I started earlier. It is still rough around the edges but I think he is a nice change of pace. This is a distinctly non-combat oriented character. Aged and trained (I'm thinking an old 46). Driven to finish his investigation, he has become a PI. The more he dives into the rabbit hole of reality, the more determined he is to figure out who "The Burning Hand" is and what they are up to.

]Jake Donald

Detective Donald

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]

10 DEX 0 11-

10 CON 0 11-

14 INT 4 12- PER Roll 13-

10 EGO 0 11-

14 PRE 4 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

3 OCV 0

3 DCV 0

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

2 SPD 0 Phases: 6, 12

3 PD 1 3/5 PD (0/2 rPD)

3 ED 1 3/5 ED (0/2 rED)

4 REC 0

20 END 0

10 BODY 0

20 STUN 0

Movement Cost Meters Notes

RUNNING 0 12m/24m END [1]

SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]

LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward

Characteristics Total: 10

Powers

3 Trained Senses: +1 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0

30 Variable Power Pool, 24 base + 25 control cost, (VPP can only be changed out between Scenes ; -1/4), Limited SpF/X (Only "tools of the trade."; -1/4); all slots Real Equipment (-1/4), IIF (Various Tools of the Trade; -1/4) - END=

0 1)
First Aid Kit
: +2 with Paramedics; IAF (Various Equipment; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 2 - END=

0 2)
Make-up kit
: +2 with Disguise; Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), IIF (Kit; -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 1 - END=

0 3)
Open Sesame
: +2 with Lockpicking; Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4), OIF (Various Equipment; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 1 - END=

0 4)
The "Tell me" tack
: +1 with Interrogation; OIF (Various equipment; -1/2), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 1 - END=

0 5)
Trench coat pockets
: +2 with Concealment; OIF (-1/2), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 2 - END=

0 6)
Body Armor
: Resistant Protection (2 PD/2 ED); Normal Mass (-1), OIF (Body Armor; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), Requires A Roll (13- roll; Torso and Chest only; -1/4), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 2 - END=0

0 7)
Brass Knuckles
: HA +2d6; OIF (-1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Real Equipment (-1/4) Real Cost: 4 - END=1

0 8)
9mm Browning Hi Power
: RKA 1d6+1; OAF (Gun; -1), STR Minimum 7 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -3/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Equipment (-1/4), 4 clips of 20 Charges (+1/4) Real Cost: 8 - END=[20]

0 9)
Binoculars
: +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; Real Equipment (-1/4), IIF (Various Tools of the Trade; -1/4) Real Cost: 4 - END=0

Powers Total: 33

Skills

4 +1 with all Intellect Skills

4 +1 with all Interaction Skills

3 Climbing 11-

5 Cramming

1 Electronics 8-

3 Former Police Detective

2 1) Combat Driving 11-

2 2) Criminology 12-

2 3) Interrogation 12-

1 4) PS: Detective 11-

2 5) Paramedics 12-

2 6) Security Systems 12-

2 7) Streetwise 12-

1 8) Tactics 10-

1 9) Teamwork 10-

1 10) WF: Small Arms

0 Language: English (idiomatic; literate)

1 Language: Latin (basic conversation ; literate)

2 Mechanics 10-

3 P.I.

2 1) Acting 12-

2 2) Bribery 12-

2 3) Concealment 12-

1 4) Disguise 10-

1 5) Forgery (Documents) 12-

1 6) Lipreading 10-

2 7) Lockpicking 11-

2 8) PS: Hunter 12-

2 9) Shadowing 12-

2 10) Sleight Of Hand 11-

2 11) Stealth 11-

2 12) Tracking 12-

2 PS: Researcher 11-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Burning Hand (Cult) 12-

2 2) KS: Laws and Regs 12-

2 3) KS: Occult 12-

2 4) KS: Supernatural world 12-

3 Traveler

2 1) CK: Hudson City 12-

1 2) CuK: Burning Hand 11-

2 3) CuK: Criminals and Criminal Organizations 12-

2 4) CuK: Legal system 12-

2 5) CuK: Occult 12-

Skills Total: 88

Perks

2 Fringe Benefit: License to practice a profession (Hunter), License to practice a profession (P.I.)

10 Custom Perk [Notes: Assumes Car would be 20pts and divded per campaign rules.]

3 Custom Perk [Notes: 6pts of contacts = 3 real pts per campaign rules]

0 Contact: [name] (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 8- [Notes: Former Partner]

0 Contact: Criminal Underground, Organization Contact (x3) 8-

Perks Total: 15

Talents

3 Lightsleep

Talents Total: 3

Complications

15 Psychological Complication: Obsessed with "The Burning Hand." (Common; Strong)

5 Negative Reputation: At least he is friendlier than Rorschach, Infrequently

15 Hunted: The Burning Hand Infrequently (As Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)

10 Psychological Complication: "I Finish what I start!" (Common; Moderate)

5 Unluck: 1d6

Complications Points: 50

Base Points: 150

Experience: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 149

After buying two broad (and I do stress broad) skill expersise categories, this character still drops 88 pts on skills (not counting equipment). He is very skill heavy. On the other hand, his biggest attack is only 4DC (one RKA and one HtH). I'm not sure how much a Old Buick would cost but assumed it'd be about 20pts and thus 10pts in this system. I didn't know if I should have even spent points on it but figured "why not." If the Car isn't bought, I'd think that a higher Cost Control and Pool would be the best spread of that 10pts.

Attached is the HDC File. I think you will enjoy the Picture. :).

La Rose.

Excellent job The Rose,

few minor Quibbles:

the character only has 21 of the 25 pool seed points used. (however see below)

I think that the changes from 5th to 6th means this character can lose some CV, Dropping them both by 1 would generate 10 points.

And with those freed points we could drop the requires a roll limitation on the Ring of Faith and buy more charges of the Holy Dirt (fully utilising the Seed pools then)

In short, someone who Believes in science. I've mulled over this idea for a while now, and it actually seems like your setting description might have already carved out a niche for it. Someone who holds Reason, Truth, and Knowledge to be the highest axioms of existence. Science can and WILL explain everything. The Supernatural is not magical or mysterious but merely not understood...yet. With time and development, sufficient study will reveal all the secrets there are in a quantifiable manner. This person might view other Believer archetypes as merely another form of psychic who bear a crutch or mental block in which they've convinced themselves that their powers do not stem from them but rather some fictional otherworldly being. The Scientist-Believer could deliberately tap into such psychic powers him or herself however, understanding that it is a useful method of connecting with our primitive egos and subconscious abilities. He or she would use symbols (texts, tools, etc) of science and reason to help focus their "latent" abilities.

It's just a thought, perhaps for a very different flavor of Believer.

Ok...so,

1) Psionics and Magic are two different things in HtbM -> Psionics is purely internal, Magic is external.

2) a person that is deliberately manipulating or interacting with magical forces is by definition a Mystic of some sort. Believers do not conceptualize what they do in such a fashion; they believe that the supernatural things that happen around them (if they even notice them or perceive them to be supernatural in the first place) is the hand of God or the Gods or whatever it is that they worship.

So, in the case of a "Atheist Believer", on the face of it, it seems unlikely. Your character description is totally doable and could exist in HtbM, but they really seem to fit the Mystic model. You could also go the other way with such a concept, trimming the ability to do Magic themselves, and make a Psionic Suppressor as described in the Psychic document -> they suppress the Supernatural subconsciously to reinforce their logical disbelief.

... You could also go the other way with such a concept' date=' trimming the ability to do Magic themselves, and make a Psionic Suppressor as described in the Psychic document -> they suppress the Supernatural subconsciously to reinforce their logical disbelief.[/quote']

I might add that gets darn expensive to do. Below is a quick write up of such a think in 6e.

The World Makes Sense! "Drain Supernatural 2d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Expanded Effect (+4); No Range (-1/2)"

The above creates a no-end suppression field centered on the PC and extending out 25feet in all directions. Although it is cumulative (at least per my reading of 6e drain/suppress), it is also only at 2d6 (7active points per roll). It currently is at 135 active and 90 real points. If one makes it persistent and Always on, it becomes 140 active and 70 real.

That ability is exactly what I'm trying to deal with on one character at the moment, too. I'm not finding a good way to do this that would be generally effective. The character I'm working with is the "eye guy" that I mentioned above. Someone with the ability to see mystic / magical / psychic forces (Detect Supernatural - Analyze, via sight). He can then manipulate the magics to create the opposite effect and cancel out or mitigate the target. Alas, Dispel is all or nothing and drain gets to be hyper expensive for effect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since this guy has been on the back-burner since Franken-Doc was finished. Likewise, I hope this helps you, Manic.

La Rose.