Your "2010" Pet Gaming Projects

TheQuestionMan

Re: Your "2010" Pet Gaming Projects

It's a start at least.

Yes it is. Black Hawk Down is a great book, and it is what made me want to run a game set in Mogadishu in the first place.

I just envisioned the players trying to infiltrate the city as opposed to go in guns blazing, so I need more cultural information about modern day Somalia. This sort of insight into Somalia is not easy to come by in English language publications so I have some scrounging to do. This easily could turn out to be my 2011 pet gaming project also.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Most of 2010 will be consumed with Dark Heresy. I had originally intended to HERO-fy it, but that fell by the wayside.

I could try to bring Caleon (my homebrew) up to 6th edition standards... but that sounds like work.

I think I shall set my sights on running a Kazei 5 game... Just got the PDF, and I think I should convert my DH group to HERO and force some Zero Zone action on them...

Yes it is. Black Hawk Down is a great book, and it is what made me want to run a game set in Mogadishu in the first place.

I just envisioned the players trying to infiltrate the city as opposed to go in guns blazing, so I need more cultural information about modern day Somalia. This sort of insight into Somalia is not easy to come by in English language publications so I have some scrounging to do. This easily could turn out to be my 2011 pet gaming project also.

I highly recommend the soundtracks to Black Hawk Down and District 9 as mood music.

1. Finish my current D&D4 campaign.

2. Convert my long-running Fantasy Hero worldbook into 6e.

3. Begin re-writing my Victorian/Steampunk Hero sourcebook for the new edition.

4. Two Hero books coming down the pipeline that I'm going to be ADing: Hero System Bestiary, and Hero System Equipment.

5. Either resume my long-running Fantasy Hero game, or resume my Steampunk Hero game.

1. Finish my current D&D4 campaign.

2. Convert my long-running Fantasy Hero worldbook into 6e.

3. Begin re-writing my Victorian/Steampunk Hero sourcebook for the new edition.

4. Two Hero books coming down the pipeline that I'm going to be ADing: Hero System Bestiary, and Hero System Equipment.

5. Either resume my long-running Fantasy Hero game, or resume my Steampunk Hero game.

i would buy the hell out of the Victorian/Steampunk book.

I highly recommend the soundtracks to Black Hawk Down and District 9 as mood music.

It never occurred to me that Black Hawk Down had a soundtrack that I could buy. This sounds like a really good idea. Unfortunately, since it would be a Herocentral game the other players would not be able to hear it. Still, I think it would be excellent for getting me in the right frame of mind to make my post.

• 2 months later...

This year's pet gaming projects are the campaigns Under a Broken Moon, inspired by the Thundarr the Barbarian animated series and HP Lovecraft; and Justice Asylum, a conspiratorial Champions game where aliens and secret races are responsible for super powers and technology in a setting superficially similar to the typical superhero world.

That last one has my full attention...

"Aliens, why did it have to be Aliens?"

QM

It's only just started. A grizzled vigilante has gathered a team to help him defeat his super-powered foes, but first they must collect a $5 million bounty to finance the venture. Everything still seems fairly standard Iron Age fare. But: The paranoid electro/cyberkinetic and the psychokinetic arms and steed summoner are amnesiac escapees from Army psychotronic experiments and got their psi potential from Gray alien DNA spliced into the human genome before the dawn of civilization. The bug guy isn't a guy who turns into a giant bug, he's a giant bug that mimics humans and escaped from Dulce. The dumb brick NPC isn't so dumb, and he's secretly from a subterranean enclave of advanced humans with access to ancient Nordic technology. The one non-alien origin guy in the group, the low-powered vigilante NPC/patron, I have slated to be infected by a piece of invasive technology used by the Reptoids before the rise of mammals.

I just found out (The Black Vault Encyclopedia Project) that Greys are also known as 'Zetas'. Totally by coincidence, the bounty Challenger's crew is going after is the leader of the Mexican Drug Cartel called 'Los Zetas'. I must find a way to tie the gang in with the Greys. Maybe the leader, El Verdugo, is a Grey hybrid who uses his psionic powers to stay a step ahead of the DEA, the FBI, the Mexican National Police, and the local authorities. Or maybe the original band of GRAFE soldiers the Gulf Cartel hired as enforcers who later became their competitors discovered a crashed UFO in some remote area and have been using salvaged Grey technology all along to get an edge...the FBI describes Los Zetas as the most high-tech Mexican Drug Cartel, they might not know the half of it!

For me:

Animated JL for 6th (Big 7)

Vigilante's Guide Book (Coming off of my batgear thread)

6th Update (No way will I finish it, but it is putting all of the characters from the hero books into 6th edition)

Recently added Thudercats for 6th

I need to rethink HOW I run games. My last few games have been less than what I was expecting. My players are good, but I think that I am missing something in my GMing style. So I think it's back to re reading some fundamentals for me. Remembering to focus more on the PCs and less on my plotlines. Trying harder to make adventures based on the PC's backgrounds.

1) Work on my Urban Fantasy Hero/Champions game "The Summerlanders". Which has the world dealing with an influx of magical beings (Faeries, Werewolves, and other kinds of mythological Folk) along with real magic flooding the world. My first version of this was kind of fun with the PC's being a Troubleshooting police force that dealt with the Summerlander issues (kind of like the Reservation Police on Native American Reservations).

2) Work on a Star Hero game. Probably with the feel of Firefly/Serenity. Need to work out tons of stuff for this one though.

3) Work on a Standard Champions game. Nothing complicated, just a game based on the 6e Champions Universe. I am starting to think that going back to basics will be a nice thing for all of us.

4) Perhaps work on a Steampunk Game. Something that Resembles Castle Falkenstein with a dash of Girl Genius thrown in for fun insanity.

Tasha

For me:

Animated JL for 6th (Big 7)

Vigilante's Guide Book (Coming off of my batgear thread)

6th Update (No way will I finish it, but it is putting all of the characters from the hero books into 6th edition)

Recently added Thudercats for 6th

A Vigilante's Guide Book? I'm looking forward to that!

• 3 weeks later...

My pet projects were all campaign adaptated from other works:

• A Fantasy Hero campaign based on Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar novels. This is now, as of three sessions ago, my currently running campaign.
  • A Star Hero campaign based on the Honor Harrington books by David Weber. Unfortunately, my cuurent group is a lot more "into" fantasy than science-fiction so I never really did a great deal of organized work on this - plus, now that it's vbeing done as a T20 setting I may never get around to adapting it to Hero...
  • Armageddon 2419 AD - Star Hero in the worlds of Buck Rogers... Talk about a setting that I could never get anyone interested - this one caused people to stare at me as if I had just sprouted a second head (I blame the 80s TV series).

Well, one out three ain't bad...

John Desmarais

Time to enter the WABAC machine all the way to the year 2004. I've finally started work on Armageddon 2419 AD - Star Hero in the worlds of Buck Rogers. Cranked out about ten pages of package deals and equipment write-ups today and I've got more bubbling around in my head. This should my next campaign (after the PCs in my Lost Worlds Romance Pulp Hero game get back to Earth) and may end up being my next Haymaker! issue.

Now that Gemini Ascendant is sort of dead' date=' I am currently planning on designing and running a fantasy campaign. Having learned some valuable lessons with [i']Gemini[/i], I will be doing an elaborate foundation of game and setting development before I ever solicit for players. I would also like, if it is possible to get the old crew together, to at least tie off the Gemini Ascendant story at a less ambiguous spot. So for ease of reference;

1. Unnamed Fantasy HERO Campaign. About 10% done with the foundation for that.
  2. "Complete" Gemini Ascendant. At least enough to have some sort of defined ending.

Well my first goal is certainly a success. It deviated from where I originally intended, but I am very happy with the resulting Companions of an Uncertain Fate campaign that has resulted. Number two is something that I am still holding out hope for, but I doubt it at this point.

Add Monthly Adventures Design challenges to my list. I hope to be able to participate in every single one of them.
Two words; Epic Fail.

Along the way I added a new project. I am, with the cooperation of Daltwisney, building a HERO 6E Campaign Framework for Map Tool. It seems that every week or two, we expand the usefulness of the framework. Mostly, the reason is selfish (I use Map Tool to game with) but if I can get it to the point where it is generically useful I want to provide it to all HERO gamers interested in online gaming.

Champions

• Finish two more modules for the Legacy of Champions convention campaign. I'm woefully far behind due to Real Life and other projects. 15% done.

Dark Champions

• Try to come up with at least three more entries for the Creepy Hotel thread. 0% done.
  • Port an organization I built for the Spycraft 2.0 RPG, the Disciples of the Word, into Hero terms. 0% done.

Fantasy Hero

• Complete work on my massive High Fantasy Hero campaign, In the Hands of Fate. It's about 50% done which, considering I'm currently running it, is very, very bad.
  • Convert the magic of the DragonQuest RPG to Hero 6E in three flavors - pure Fantasy Hero, as-close-to-DQ-as-possible-in-Hero, and a comfortable mix in between.

Star Hero

• Begin work on the next leg of my Traveller Hero campaign, Flight of a Thousand Years, currently in hiatus. It's to be in the Trojan Reach, which means I need to work up a ton of planets and other setting material. About 5% complete, if that.

Other Hero

• Convert World of Darkness RPG Vampire: The Masquerade into Hero 6E. Basic template is 100% done, Disciplines are about 60-75% done. Don't know if I'll do them all, as Thaumaturgy and Necromancy contain a lot of secondary powers.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Werewolf: The Apocalypse into Hero 6E. Basic template is 90% done, other materials I haven't even started yet. Don't know if I'll do the Gifts, as there're too many.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Mage: The Ascension into Hero 6E. Mostly the magic system. 0% done.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Changeling: The Dreaming into Hero 6E. 0% done.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Wraith: The Oblivion into Hero 6E. Basic template is about 50% done, everything else is 0% done.

Other Game

• TBD

Updated below.

1. Finish up my 7th Sea pirate campaign that has dragged on far too long.

2. Rethink my Gamemastering style. I think I need to devise more long-term plots and campaign goals as well as consider ideas to keep players/characters engaged and excited.

3. Develop my fantasy campaign world of Mythalis for D&D 4th Edtion.

4. Develop my fantasy campaign world of PanTalos for HERO 6th Edition.

5. Organize and update my superheroes campaign world for HERO 6th Edition.

6. Devise a coherent campaign plan for one of the above three with the intention of diving back into Gamemastering by late 2010 or early 2011.

Lonewalker

• 4 weeks later...

well, for starters I think i'll

1.) finally get back to designing my game world for FH.

2.) help get the drawing guild up and running again(you know who you are!).

3.) and finally start a "I draw,you build" thread.

oh I would like to play champs as well. so anyone in the Tacoma, WA area hit me up.

UPDATED

Champions

• [uPDATED] Finish two more modules for the Legacy of Champions convention campaign. I'm woefully far behind due to Real Life and other projects. 25% done.

Dark Champions

• Try to come up with at least three more entries for the Creepy Hotel thread. 0% done.
  • Port an organization I built for the Spycraft 2.0 RPG, the Disciples of the Word, into Hero terms. 0% done.

Fantasy Hero

• [uPDATED] Complete work on my massive High Fantasy Hero campaign, In the Hands of Fate. It's about 60% done which, considering I'm currently running it, is very, very bad.
  • [uPDATED] Convert the magic of the DragonQuest RPG to Hero 6E in three flavors - pure Fantasy Hero, as-close-to-DQ-as-possible-in-Hero, and a comfortable mix in between. About 75% done.

Star Hero

• Begin work on the next leg of my Traveller Hero campaign, Flight of a Thousand Years, currently in hiatus. It's to be in the Trojan Reach, which means I need to work up a ton of planets and other setting material. About 5% complete, if that.

Other Hero

• [NEW] Update my write-ups of Fu Manchu and his minions in the Si-Fan. 0% complete.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Vampire: The Masquerade into Hero 6E. Basic template is 100% done, Disciplines are about 60-75% done. Don't know if I'll do them all, as Thaumaturgy and Necromancy contain a lot of secondary powers.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Werewolf: The Apocalypse into Hero 6E. Basic template is 90% done, other materials I haven't even started yet. Don't know if I'll do the Gifts, as there're too many.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Mage: The Ascension into Hero 6E. Mostly the magic system. 0% done.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Changeling: The Dreaming into Hero 6E. 0% done.
  • Convert World of Darkness RPG Wraith: The Oblivion into Hero 6E. Basic template is about 50% done, everything else is 0% done.

Other Game

• TBD