Starfall - A Gamma HERO campaign

Fedifensor

Re: Starfall - A Gamma HERO campaign

Will this work for a character concept?

A girl goes out looking for Cargo hoping to prove herself dies in a radioactive forest. There a predictor fungus overtakes her body but somehow the thoughts and memories of the child linger changing the fungus. Overtime it grows large enough, building a body of plant mater in the likeness of the girl. She does not remember everything and no longer identifies as the original child but she knows that if she is ever going to find peace she must complete the girl's last trial. A decade or more later this new Weed-child wanders into Fedrex ready to seek Cargo for them.

The Great Var is an Ancient City decimated during the Final War. It is now overgrown with all manner of flora climbing though and amid the buildings. Very few people who trek into the Var looking for Cargo ever come out again. Those who survive tell tales of ground to hot to walk on, carnivorous flying plants and horrific wild beasts. Most believe these tales are just nonsense talk from people who have drank to much Bad Water and yet, no one you know has even entered into the Var and returned.

From a character creation point the Great Var is the closest place you would consider HOT from radiation. The Burning Lands may be another but even the air there is a poisonous fume. It is like the sky became ill disposed to the very earth's fetid breath and push the ground down in on itself. Only the Aiogs seems interesed in the Burning Lands with their countless underground expeditions. People call the Aiogs crazy, but they do turn up with more Ancient Artifacts than anyone would seem to have the right to aquire. They are also beset upon by Cinders, so it would seem digging to deep after the Ancients does have its own counterweight in death and misery.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of going with the being different. Normal speech would make a good mutation/ability. For one' date=' it provides a good reason for the packmates turning on him. Two, it would make interactions easier. I see him keeping that still kind of a secret, out of fear of reprisal and shame. And we can work through any other details. I will start on fleshing out a more complete background.[/quote']

Easy enough to ditch a physical limitation in character creation. However, you may want to think long and hard about having any sort of "racial" or tribal hunteds (I would recommend you keep it as cast out). The Ggaru are a large enough group to actually be considered a species in the region. Players will invariably be traveling though their lands and/or interacting with them on the plains East of the Eights (the Eights is the name given to the Ancient path that travels North/South through the area, while the 70 is the main East/West path).

As an outcast your particular tribe may not "like" you, but that would not necessarily cross over to any others outside of your tribe. Your Cheiftan may have not liked your ability, but who is to say another tribe will feel the same way.

Will this work for a character concept?

A girl goes out looking for Cargo hoping to prove herself dies in a radioactive forest. There a predictor fungus overtakes her body but somehow the thoughts and memories of the child linger changing the fungus. Overtime it grows large enough, building a body of plant mater in the likeness of the girl. She does not remember everything and no longer identifies as the original child but she knows that if she is ever going to find peace she must complete the girl's last trial. A decade or more later this new Weed-child wanders into Fedrex ready to seek Cargo for them.

Depending on you but if you wanted to tie in backgrounds, possibly my ggaru had journed with her into the city. He was injuried early, see his background but she went on. It would depend on how much time pased between her death and current game date. With both their memory loss, they would not know each other but have some sort of sense of familiarity. Just a thought

All excellant, colorful, descriptive, disturbing, and maddeningly tasty answers. Thanks.

I finished the game map today, Fed and I will be going over scale tonight. Right now the trip from Unirad at the top of the map to Lo at the bottom would take around two to three weeks.

We are also finalizing the barter system with our central currency (ha ha!)

Gun Powder, or Powder, is measured in Horns. One Horn of powder is enough to make 20 shots. This is produced in Lo though with the destruction of Cassock it has become hard to get a hold of lately. Most people don't have the black powder weapons or can't afford the shot. Lo has the corner on the Sulfur market and has the best mills for mixing the ingredients.

Hemp is measured in Pouches. One pouch is enough to make 6 to 8 rolls. Unirad produces Golden Hemp (the true gold color of the plant), a top grade product that only seems to grow in Unirad. Others have tried to grow it, but it does not take on the golden hue or have the namesakes more powerful effect.

Good Water is measured in Cans. Seven Wells produces Good Water but its more than that. Somehow

the "fizzy" Good Water from Seven Wells is able to clean up other Bad Water, so a little Seven Wells water can really go a long way (1 can of Wells can purify at least 10 cans of Bad Water).

Now, other people can produce Hemp, make Gun Powder or sell Good Water but you get what you pay for. A Can of Standard Good Water may only be worth 1/10th the market value of Wells Finest. Powder not made at Lo has a higher misfire rate.

Vendor: "This is Powder from Lo, not that cheap chaff produced in Undertown. Sure, Aiogs can mine... but do you really want all that dirt fouling your shot when it counts?!?"

Buyer: "Let me see you burn a shot?"

The vendor burns a charge with a satifying flash. The buyer is impressed.

Buyer: "I will trade you a horn of Powder for a can of Good Water"

The vendor knows his shot is worth way more then a can of water. He open the can and smells the familiar fizz of Seven Wells finest.

Buyer: "Its a Can of Wells of course."

The vendor knows the price is thin, even in this heat he smells a short sell. He retorts, "We seal the deal by sharing that roll you got there?!"

The buyer agrees. They exchange goods and the buyer passes the roll to the vendor. Lighting the roll the vendor takes a toke and coughs, "What kind of crap is this? This ani-no goldie."

The buyer smiles and takes a hit with a grimace, "Who said anything about goldies."

Depending on you but if you wanted to tie in backgrounds' date=' possibly my ggaru had journed with her into the city. He was injuried early, see his background but she went on. It would depend on how much time pased between her death and current game date. With both their memory loss, they would not know each other but have some sort of sense of familiarity. Just a thought[/quote']

I am in no way against characters having "linked" backgrounds. In fact it is encouraged. It is our hope that players get together on the boards and synch up bios, backgrounds, etc. Siblings, adopted siblings, cousins (or even an older parent with a teen child) could easily move out to collect Cargo together. After all, who would you rather trust that stanger you met in town a few weeks ago or a cousin you have known for years?

We have tried to make it easy, giving everyone a central home base to start from, but that was never intended as the only place you spent you life. Makes it easy to say a 16 year old Pure will be given the boot and decides to make a Cargo run instead of facing the heat of the summer alone. There are easily double the amount of people not inside the town walls protection that still call Fedrex their home. Some farmers, trademen, laborers, etc live within the region but never brought back enough Cargo to be citizens or are "shoe string citizens" who produce just enough to get in but hold no property within the town and have little say in political affairs. A local farmer would be a good example of a of someone who lived on the outside but traded with the townsfolk. A blacksmith might hold a place on the town council, even though he may not have any new Cargo his extra labor for the town more than makes up for his lack of wanderlust.

The road to the better life in Fedrex is up to you to create. Fed and I are just here to throw down speed bumps on your way to glory ;)

The Venus Mantrap in the Post-Apocalyptic book is a good starting point' date=' but I'll check a few other sources and work up some guidelines.[/quote']

Unfortunately I don't have the book.

The Great Var is an Ancient City decimated during the Final War. It is now overgrown with all manner of flora climbing though and amid the buildings. Very few people who trek into the Var looking for Cargo ever come out again. Those who survive tell tales of ground to hot to walk on, carnivorous flying plants and horrific wild beasts. Most believe these tales are just nonsense talk from people who have drank to much Bad Water and yet, no one you know has even entered into the Var and returned.

From a character creation point the Great Var is the closest place you would consider HOT from radiation. T

The Great Var sounds like where it's at for our young Venus.

Depending on you but if you wanted to tie in backgrounds' date=' possibly my ggaru had journed with her into the city. He was injuried early, see his background but she went on. It would depend on how much time pased between her death and current game date. With both their memory loss, they would not know each other but have some sort of sense of familiarity. Just a thought[/quote']

What I had originally pictured was 10+ years. This was to give her return a rather creepy vibe. The more I think about it tough the longer I think this should be, maybe 40 years or so, that way anyone who knew here wold be aged or dead.

Update: We're going with 5E. While I'd like to give 6E a try in a heroic-level game, there just isn't enough market penetration to justify it for a Hero Central game, and to be honest it's too much of a hassle to convert all of the work done by people without 6E. That said, I may incorporate a few aspects of 6E into the game as house rules, notably the Attack Versus Alternate Defense advantage. It doesn't make sense to me that switching an Mind Control to work off of Flash Defense (hypnotic light patterns) instead of Mental Defense should make the power cost 2.5 times as much.

I've added a sample power for the other two races (muts and beasts) and added the Everyman skills. Note that even if you're a newcomer to the town, you still get AK: Fedrex 8- (representing the time waiting for spring so the next Cargo hunt can start). LS: High Radiation requires GM approval, and will also require the character to take a few points of Power Defense (radiation only). Taking the LS only gives you environmental resistance, and radiation attacks (such as certain mutant powers) can hurt you.

Commerce is pretty much as Zac presented it. Fedrex has a slight surplus of Good Water, foodstuffs, and Hemp. However, none of these have the high quality of the primary producers of such trade goods. The few merchants that know of the town are trading for Cargo, because they know that rare or unique items can turn up after each season's hunt.

Cargo hunts take place in the spring, summer, and fall. It is possible to ask for an exemption for the summer hunt, as the lands to the east can be particularly hostile during that time. Such exemptions are granted on a case-by-case basis, and seems to depend on how well the village council likes you. No hunts take place in the deadly winters - all of Fedrex's villagers work together to survive the snows.

There will be other Cargo hunters besides the PCs, and some may ask to travel with the group. There is no truth to the rumor that these additional travelers are wearing shirts colored with red dye...really. :)

Questions on Cargo

read about the current leader and his Council and about his find of the Water-pure'r cargo and its maintenance and my questions are not about any particular cargo find and I don't want any spoilers beyond commonly available knowledge in the Fedrex community.

Who decides what Cargo is worth as far as seasons in Fedrex?

Do people in Fedrex complain about the fairness of such decisions?

What are some examples of Cargo and the number of seasons it allows.

Are there services for those who bring back Cargo that evaluate it / or possibly try to figure it out and put it into working condition before it is brought for evaluation?

Is time bought by Cargo transferable? So if there was a pair-bond, could it transfer to the bond mate?

Could you sell the time from Cargo?

Could you transfer it to any one, citizen or not?

Are there crimes that have punishment of reducing time bought with Cargo?

Ggaru Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6 [2]

11 DEX 3 11- OCV: 4/DCV: 4

10 CON 0 11-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

10 COM 0 11-

5 PD 3 Total: 5 PD (0 rPD)

2 ED 0 Total: 2 ED (0 rED)

2 SPD 0 Phases: 6, 12

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 4

Movement: Running: 8"/16"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

3 Low Light Vision

19 Canine Nose: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) +1 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 2) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

4 Running +2" (8" total) 1

1 Life Support (Immunity: Bad Water)

Talents

3 Lightsleep

Skills

0 Language: Ggaru (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears

2 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 36

Total Cost: 40

0+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Beast (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutated Animal - Genetic Marker (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

10 Physical Limitation: Semi Upright (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Notes: This character can walk on two legs, but must run on all fours. His pelvis is slightly elongated from the typical butterfly shaped human pelvis. Apes and monkeys are good examples of this Disadvantage. When running on all fours, this character may not hold any objects in his hands. All such objects must be holstered, stored, or otherwise put away.

10 Physical Limitation: Animal Mouth (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

Notes: The character can't speak most languages. This is not to say they are incapable of speaking, their mouth/lips/tongue/vocal cords are unable to form most complex sounds. Characters will instantly fail a Mimicry roles to impersonate most languages, but may be quite adept as ones that exist in the natural world. Species that have this trait usual have their own language (hence the Infrequent) and are quite capable of understanding other languages.

How are you buying Low Light? Nightvision is normally 5 pts. which is +4 to counter nighttime mods. Are you just buying +2 to counter nighttime mods?

How are you buying Low Light? Nightvision is normally 5 pts. which is +4 to counter nighttime mods. Are you just buying +2 to counter nighttime mods?

Fed and I have not made a "go to ground" rule on this but as I see it...

Nightvision is defined as being able to see in total darkness just like it was daylight. Low Light would be the close same, but some ambient light is still necessary. Also, low light tends to be shades of monochrome (black and white for biological, black and green for tech -- like NVGs). Most of the time I will not be hitting players with the "modifiers" unless it is serious, my mantra will just be to Role Play though it. If you have standard vision and decide to keep on treking, well... chance are something is going to get the jump on you (other senses not withstanding).

If we really NEED to go to modifiers then it will be the +4 to counter but background light is still necessary. The less ambient light that exists the more the modifier is reduced. Dark clouds at night (obscuring the stars), no moon (or the clouds are so thick it is obscured) would be almost the same as sitting in a dark hole underground. Take that same scenario and put for lights in the distance, improves to +1. Clouds begin to break and a few stars peek though, +2. And so on.

If Fed comes back and dashes this ruling to the wind, then I will defer to his vision on vision :rolleyes: Having actually worn NVGs, trained with them, fired down range with them, etc they are not ACTUALLY as great as "just like daylight". However, we are playing a game of a future where Muts and Beasts asks for Fries just like everyone else at the drive thru, so I can throw some realism out the door :P

I am going to defer to Fed on a lot of this. We both came up with a modified Rite of Passage and melded it into its current form. However....

Questions on Cargo

Could you sell the time from Cargo?

Yes. The end result is the goods benefit the community. As long as the cargo continue to provide benefit then the community benefits. Lets say the character brought back a working solar array. The town decided to hook the solar array up to a watchtower equiped with a set for four fixed lights on a turret chasse (they took the front end off an 2059 Impala). As long as the solar array provided power to the lights the town would grant citizenship. However, the player is now responsible for its upkeep. The player decides to sell the rights to a local farmer (for whatever they agree upon). For all intensive purposes the farmer brought in the goods and has to maintain the tech. I would say the agreements must be made before the goods are "turned in" or the council would have to vote on the equity of the deal. Another example, the player brings back four cases of Ancient Food from a rediscovered military cache. A case of food provides enough food for a single pure to live off for a month (or a Mute two months). Considering the goods will last forever, the town decides each case will be worth a season. The player decides to give the time to a impoverished group of six refugees in the fall. The town council grudging agrees to the time, but uses the able for manual labor re-enforcing defenses and keeping the worst watches during the night.

Could you transfer it to any one, citizen or not?

As above, yes. Really the Rule of Cargo is used so someone has to benefit the community to stay. Farmers give a portion of their crops to the community, skilled craftsmen do the same, etc. So, if a player wanted to sell/give/whatever to someone else they could. The only exemption I would see is if someone was banished from Fedrex. Banished people don't return on pain of death.

Are there crimes that have punishment of reducing time bought with Cargo?

This is a society with no penal system. The local sheriff is resonsible for keeping the peace and criminals are brought before a "jury of their peers" for trial. Most punishments are met out at the end of a rope. They symbol of the Sheriff is a badge emblazoned with a red cross. An old metal sign nailed above the Fedrex gate reads "Bring those you love inside; Protect People, Pets and Plants." However, in the book of law it clearly stats that undesirable "pets should be spayed and neutered"!! ;)

People who steal from Fedrex take away the survival of the community. Stealing from a vendor may result in a swift beating and being banished from town. Stealing water from the storehouse would be stealing directly from the mouths of the town. Jail just means where you sit until the trial is over. If a youngester steals from a vendor would probably be whipped in the town square and have to repay the vendor. This could easily result in a person becoming a servant of another until the debt was fairly repaid (repayment would be determined by the sheriff in small offenses, if it was large enough to bother the council then a trial is in order). The locals don't tolerate fights within town limits or within sight of a watch tower. Fights can easily cause property damage and the good people of Fedrex did not scrape by this far to see some sodbuster destroy the infrastructure. I could easily see major offenses result in confiscation of property followed by death or banishment (and banishment without gear would equal death for most).

I don't think anyone would agree to a thief getting caught, the thieif returning the good and then the thief saying "Well take X and we will call it even." A vendor might do that before he reported it to the sheriff, but once the law is involved the community would demand some sort of accounting. Otherwise justice for those who have would be different than justice for those with little. Now, that may be realistic but in a frontier type of world but repeated disturbances could invariably result in a mob taking matters into their own hands.

Quick answers from my G1 phone:

The worth of recovered Cargo is solely determined by the village council. There might be grumbling...but as the town would lose access to Good Water if the leader walks (as no one else knows how to maintain the ancient tech) they don't grumble very loud...

Examples will have to be asked about in game. People just reaching manhood or newcomers to the area haven't seen the Council review acquired Cargo. People can give Cargo to others before it is presented, but the person presenting it gets the benefits. There are no "Cargo evaluators" in Fedrex, especially since Cargo can be nearly anything.

I do not need to go with modifiers. One game I was in, a couple of people were debating back and forth about those. I was really just trying to start putting this into HeroDesigner. If you just want a power that is 3 pts and called Low Light, I can do that with custom power no biggie. I was just asking if there was so other way I needed to do it.

I do not need to go with modifiers. One game I was in' date=' a couple of people were debating back and forth about those. I was really just trying to start putting this into HeroDesigner. If you just want a power that is 3 pts and called Low Light, I can do that with custom power no biggie. I was just asking if there was so other way I needed to do it.[/quote']

In Hero Designer I just put it in as Night Vision, did an ADD MODIFIER of -2 and changed the name to Low Light. However, if you had Nightvision and put in a -1/2 limitation: Requires Background Light you would get the same thing :) I think RPing it is the way to go, debating modifiers just muddies the waters.

Ok, I have been busy and got a more complete background. I also have the character entered into Hero Designer (mostly). I was going on the assumption standard heroic character for points.

From the time Dances was born, his parents knew he was different. His mother during died in childbirth due to his larger than normal size. Stargazer had claimed that Dances was destined for a life beyond the tribe.

His childhood was eventful as his birth. During the winter of his fourth year, a famine drove a wedge in his pack. A disease had killed or made useless most of the Uff in their region. The famine was merely the final straw that brought forth the fear and hatred that had been brewing since his birth. He was always bigger than other pcakmates his age. Dances showed an increased learning curve as well. He was always able to pick up skills and tricks faster than others. He also had a secret that his parents kept and always told him to keep. Dances could not only understand Tradespeak, he could speak it as well. So when the famine happened, his family was cast out as misfits.

They continued to wander in the plains. Dances found squatters that had captured a (insert rare bird species here) and were using it as a play thing. As if the squatting was not bad enough, they were abusing nature. Dances could not allow that so he attacked. It was a close battle and he suffered several battle scars as a result but in the end, he defeated the group and freed the bird. Even free, the bird continued to stay with Dances. That battle had somehow mystically linked the two. Dances felt as if the bird was the physical form of his spiritual guide.

Bad fortune struck again when both his parents became ill with a disease. Dances knew they were sick before they did. He could smell the disease setting in. He thought he knew of some herbs that could cure them but those herbs was located near Great Var. It was a risky solution but one he felt he had to try. As he neared the city, he was beset by untold horrors and was struck down. His last memory was that of an angelic form over him as he passed into unconsciousness. When he awoke, he was in a church in Fedrex. Nobody knew how he had gotten there, he was just found on the doorstep one morning. Nearly a year had passed between the time he fell and when he awoke.

He quickly left go back and find his parents fearing the disease had already taken them. He searched the area where they had last been but never found them or any signs of where they had gone. Saddened, he returned to Fedrex. He used his skills to help others in Fedrex. Now is the Cargo season, so he prepares to go find Cargo to earn his place in Fedrex.

Ok, I have been busy and got a more complete background. I also have the character entered into Hero Designer (mostly). I was going on the assumption standard heroic character for points.

From the time Dances was born, his parents knew he was different. His mother during died in childbirth due to his larger than normal size. Stargazer had claimed that Dances was destined for a life beyond the tribe.

His childhood was eventful as his birth. During the winter of his fourth year, a famine drove a wedge in his pack. A disease had killed or made useless most of the Uff in their region. The famine was merely the final straw that brought forth the fear and hatred that had been brewing since his birth. He was always bigger than other pcakmates his age. Dances showed an increased learning curve as well. He was always able to pick up skills and tricks faster than others. He also had a secret that his parents kept and always told him to keep. Dances could not only understand Tradespeak, he could speak it as well. So when the famine happened, his family was cast out as misfits.

They continued to wander in the plains. Dances found squatters that had captured a (insert rare bird species here) and were using it as a play thing. As if the squatting was not bad enough, they were abusing nature. Dances could not allow that so he attacked. It was a close battle and he suffered several battle scars as a result but in the end, he defeated the group and freed the bird. Even free, the bird continued to stay with Dances. That battle had somehow mystically linked the two. Dances felt as if the bird was the physical form of his spiritual guide.

Bad fortune struck again when both his parents became ill with a disease. Dances knew they were sick before they did. He could smell the disease setting in. He thought he knew of some herbs that could cure them but those herbs was located near Great Var. It was a risky solution but one he felt he had to try. As he neared the city, he was beset by untold horrors and was struck down. His last memory was that of an angelic form over him as he passed into unconsciousness. When he awoke, he was in a church in Fedrex. Nobody knew how he had gotten there, he was just found on the doorstep one morning. Nearly a year had passed between the time he fell and when he awoke.

He quickly left go back and find his parents fearing the disease had already taken them. He searched the area where they had last been but never found them or any signs of where they had gone. Saddened, he returned to Fedrex. He used his skills to help others in Fedrex. Now is the Cargo season, so he prepares to go find Cargo to earn his place in Fedrex.

Sounds fine. A few questions:

1. Do you still have the bird? If so, do you want to make it a pet? If so, is it for looks or does it have some usable abilities?

2. How old do you want to be? Ggaru are considered adults by the time they are around 10, past their prime in their 30s and very old would be around 45 or so.

And to clarify, we are using the standard 75/75 Heroic norm for characters with Normal Char Maxima in play.

1) I would like the bird as a pet. I worked up something using the xenovore battlebird from Hero Beastiary. I was thinking of giving PC psychic link with the bird. I went with follower 10 pts. I can drop it if you think it would muck up the game or suggest something else.

2) For age, I would say 11 or 12. Figure he is of age but not much.

Venus was her name:

In the ruins of the Great Var are scattered the bodies of countless scavengers. Among those that died was the child Linda Moore, a young girl who had wandered too far from Fedrex and found her life snatched away by the ravages of the strange city. It was a year before she was to go on her first hunt for Cargo.

However, in the ruins of the Great Var nothing is wasted. As fungus overtook the rotting corpse of the girl the city began to work its magic. Burrowing into the remains of her brain the fungus began to mutate, to mingle and mix with the gray matter of the young Linda.

From her death something new was born. From Linda’s body Venus emerged, her fungal mass taking the shape of the girl a memory fragment shaping the new form. Unique and unsure Venus wandered the wastes searching for her place. As time passed she felt herself called farther and farther from the Great Var. Eventually something led her back to Fedrex.

The place felt alien, a perversion of nature and yet somehow familiar. Something about this place drew her in. When confronted by the towns guards she spoke for the first time in her new voice, Linda. Venus. Adult. Before then Venus had never even thought of her progenitor. Yet upon speaking the name she knew her purpose.

The people of Fedrex were leery to accept something so strange as Venus into their village, especially when she brought the name of a child who had gone missing a lifetime prior. It was her gifts though that finally turned them. The biomass that made up Venus’s body was able to change the fallow land to fertile soil. At first she came only sporadically altering the ground as she passed. As the time to forage for Cargo drew near she found herself returning more and more often and with a growing urgency to bring these people the substance they needed to survive.

Here's an initial draft of Venus based on the guidelines. During the design process I knew she should be relatively strong and tough. With her skills I decided that she should have a rather natural affinity for plants and the wild. This meant she ended up with several science skills but I would like to think of them as more like intuitive knowledge than hard science or information she doesn't know why she knows. As a Weed, I tried to give her a kind of basic array of "plant" things although her ability to change the ground around her may be unsuitable for the game I thought of it may offer some interesting plots. Overall she runs fairly middle of the road for things. Part of the image I had for her is that she would be fairly self sustaining. To that effect I left 10 points open for other plant like weirdness she may possess.

Venus

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

12 COM 1 11-

7 PD 3 Total: 7 PD (7 rPD)

7 ED 4 Total: 7 ED (7 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

7 REC 0

30 END 0

33 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 70

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

4 Putting Down Roots: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -¾), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -¼) 2

7 Plant Mass: Damage Resistance (7 PD/7 ED) 0

13 Regeneration: Healing 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (36 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 ¼), Self Only (-½) 0

Notes: No Healing Max (see FREd p. 120). 2 Body per Turn.

5 Part of the Environment : Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only in "green" terrain, forests, marsh, jungle etc...; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -¾), Chameleon (-½), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) 4

7 Thorns: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½), No Knockback (-¼) 2

10 Nature's Filter: Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents) 0

2 Gift of the Land: Major Transform 1 point (Fallow to Fertile, Pollutants), Area Of Effect (1" Radius; +1) (10 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½), No Range (-½) 2

Skills

0 Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) KS: Herbal Medicine (Custom Adder) 11-

0 3) KS: Ruins 8-

0 4) Language: Trade (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 5) Paramedics 8-

0 6) PS: Scavenger 8-

0 7) Shadowing 8-

0 8) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0 9) TF: Custom Adder, Other

3 Climbing 12-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Cryptography 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Scientist

3 1) SS: Botany 13- (4 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Entomolgy 12- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Exobiology 12- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Forestry 12- (3 Active Points)

3 Stealth 12-

2 Survival (Tropical Coasts/Pelagic Environments) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 80

Total Cost: 150

75+ Disadvantages

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction

15 Distinctive Features: Woman made of plant matter. (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Distinctive Features: Mutated Plant (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Physical Limitation: Unique Biology (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

Notes: Due to her nature Venus often has strange side effects from things that are safe to the average Pure.

15 Psychological Limitation: Dislike of Technology (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Strange Dreams (Uncommon, Strong)

Notes: Often Venus has dreams she cannot understand with her wandering through dense forests or woods.

15 Social Limitation: Minority [unique Plant] (Very Frequently, Minor)

I only have time for a quick read of Venus, but I did notice a few things.

Invisibility has the wrong limitation amount for Extra Time. As you have the power written up, it takes a turn to active, lasts a phase...and then you have to activate it again. It's only a -1/2 limitation (half of -1 1/4) to have the Extra Time only apply to the activation of a Constant power.' Clinging has the same problem, but you could add a limitation of "cannot move when power active" to compensate.

The Regeneration is pretty strong - we're talking Wolverine-level regen. Then again, it appears to be the central theme of your character (renewal). I'll have to discuss this one with Zac.

Gift of the Land is another one I'll have to think about. One limiting factor is that just because you 'clean' the land, doesn't mean it'll stay that way. One Bad Water rain can undo what you have done, for example.

If you plan to pick up weapons of one sort or another, the HKA is fine as a backup. If it's going to be your only attack for the majority of the campaign, you may want to buy it up to 1d6K (2d6K with STR).

The DR is fine...I'd actually suggest a higher PD, maybe with the limitation that it doesn't work against slashing attacks. Bullets and clubs don't do much against a plant. Maybe 2 or 3 points of PD Armor with the "not versus slashing attacks" limitation.

For playability, you may want to tone down the Distinctive Feature to Major instead of Extreme. Unless someone looks closely, they may think you're just a mut with a rather strong mutation, which would mitigate their reaction towards you. I'd actually take two Distinctive Features:

• Distinctive Feature - Mutated Plant (5 points). This represents the difficulties you'll have with devices of the ancients. Interestingly, you'll have less of a problem with such devices than beasts.
  • Distinctive Feature - Weed (15 or 20 points). This is the Distinctive Feature you already have.

I think Unique Biology is both advantage and disadvantage, and shouldn't be worth a disadvantage on its own. Some things that won't affect a Pure will hurt you, and vice-versa. However, I could see taking the disadvantage Plant Biology, as Paramedics skill is useless to help you.

I think your two Social Limitations are double-dipping, as the reason people may not trust you is because you're a Weed. I'd drop the 'Not Trusting'.

The character creation guidelines are finalized. Those interested in playing should post their concepts here. Character sheets are not required at this stage' date=' though we will need to see one eventually.[/quote']

My character idea is a Mut, Mutated Human, who grew up in Fedrex. His father, a one time hunter of the Cinders (mainly because he had Mutation Immunity: Fire/Heat) retired from Cargo hunting after his leg was amputated in a battle by a Soldier, with Cargo built up and after recovery, the character's father bought land inside Fedrex and began his business of making brick. Making brick for housing and construction proved his constant merit to Fedrex, of which a portion always goes to the city. The character's father became bitter and a drunk retelling stories of his exploits when younger and whole.

My character is one of a few children that he sired and was put to work. If there is a dirty job any where in Fedrex, if it needs to be scooped, scraped or sanded, my character was sent to work. And punishment was handed out in great heaps if the work did not come up to standards, and it never did. That work was, odd jobs and the like, happened in between harvest of left over straw and plant stalk collection and mixture with mud for brick. Constant punishment and a many hours of labor left little or no time for play or rest. In addition the father would make sure that his boys would learn how to shoot and fight so as to carry on his name in the defense of Redrex.

The mother explained that it was just a way to train the boys for the hardships ahead in life, but most still shook thier heads and wondered at other reasons .

Mutations:

Heightened precision (naked Adv on attacks)

Telepathy(Muts)/Telepathic Scribing (inscribing/reading Images/thoughts/data onto objects)

Electrical generation (Sticky EB)

Skills

Lots of home town AK, Contacts,

Menial PS and Everyman skills,

Lots of Oral tradition stories form father, specific tactical knowledge of Cinders

Weapons: What ever is best v Cinders(Spear?), rifle

Here is the first draft of my character. I still need some disads. Lemme know what you think.

Dances with Spirits

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 HTH damage [3]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

10 CON 0 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 12- ECV: 4

10 PRE 0 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

6 PD 3 Total: 8 PD (5 rPD)

3 ED 0 Total: 3 ED (3 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

26 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 19

Movement: Running: 8"/[Noncombat]"

Leaping: 3"/[Noncombat]"

Swimming: 2"/[Noncombat]"

Cost Powers END

Brainy Mutation

6 1) Increased Ego: +3 EGO

5 2) Higher Brain Functions: +5 INT

3 3) Self-Confidence: +3 PRE

Brawny Mutation

10 1) Improved Constitution: +5 CON

2 2) Tougher Hide: +2 PD

5 3) Increased Muscle Mass: +5 STR 1

19 Canine Nose: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) +1 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 2) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10) 0

4 Protective Hide: Damage Resistance (5 PD/3 ED) 0

6 Smell the Disease: Detect A Class Of Things 13-/14- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (11 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 1

3 Effective Liver: Life Support (Immunity: Bad Water) 0

3 Mystic Bond: Mind Link , One Specific Mind, Psychic Bond (10 Active Points); Feedback STUN and BODY (-2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) 0

3 Low Light Vision: Nightvision (5 Active Points); Black and White Only (-1/4), Requires Some Light (-1/4) 0

4 Running on All Fours: Running +2" (8" total) 1

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

15 Skill Master (+3 with all Skills based on INT)

Skills

Ggaru Skills

0 1) Language: Ggaru (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

2 2) Survival (Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 12-

4 3) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

Nomad Package

3 1) Animal Handler 12-

2 2) Navigation (Land) 12-

3 3) Tracking 12-

3 4) Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered HTH, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 12-

Shaman Skills

3 1) Forensic Medicine (Embalming) 12-

2 2) KS: Flora And Fauna 11-

2 3) KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore 11-

3 4) Paramedics (Healing) 12-

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 1) AK: Fedrex 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) KS: Legends and Lore 11-

0 6) Language: Tradespeak (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 7) PS: Cartography 11-

0 8) Paramedics (Healing) 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

0 11) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0 12) TF: Wasteland Riding Animals

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 126

Total Cost: 145

75+ Disadvantages

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

10 Distinctive Features: Beast (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutated Animal - Genetic Marker (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

10 Physical Limitation: Semi Upright (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

5 Social Limitation: Outcast (Occasionally; Minor)

15 Psychological Limitation: Tries to Keep Secret Fact That he can Speak Tradespeak (Very Common; Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Seeks to Find Out Fate of Parents (Uncommon; Moderate)

Total Disadvantage Points: 145