Starfall - A Gamma HERO campaign

Fedifensor

Re: Starfall - A Gamma HERO campaign

What are you guys looking for in a background? Mine was called thin.

My perspective is a young Mute, about to go on his first Cargo run, lived in Fedrex his whole life, sure he aided some Trade with other towns, went into the mountains for sometraining in the field.

Am I, are we expected to be more seasoned?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I will run down some of the numbers BUT I am in a time crunch. I want to be more through BUT I want to give a starting point. A few points I see.

1. Just buy up your basic stats, no need to define them as a mutation. If you want to break the normal char max, then a power would be the way to go. I don't want to split hairs (its kinda anal on my part really :P), it just makes things easier to group for little ole me :rolleyes:

2. The true mutations I see are Protective Hide, Smell Disease and Mystic Bond. You also did not get the Ggaru "standard" mutation and put something its place (which is fine -- the Ggaru are a starting point not a destination for char design). Nothing really untoward here but resistant PD/ED seems a tad high for a hide. I also don't see your pet?

3. As a player you have to pay for everything outside the game Everyman Skills, so you have to buy the Ggaru skills and language if you want them. Also, you have some skills that seem weird. PS: Cartography? If you grew up in a tribal culture, PS would be more along the lines of hunter, tanner, etc. You also have weaponsmith, but there is no explination in the background. If you were being trained as a Weaponsmith in your tribe, then PS: Smith or some such seem to make more sense. You have AK: Fedrex, but what about the Waste Plains (where you grew up)? After all you just appeared in Fedrex. The default may be Fedrex, but considering your background you can change it.

4. Disads - You are trying to keep a secret you can talk, but from who? If you are trying to keep a secret from other Ggaru then its going to drop to Uncommon. If you want to keep the secret from everyone, then Very Common is fine. Also, you want to Find out the Fate of Parents, but its an uncommon,moderate. So if it comes up at all, the character can blow it off over a hot coffee with no ill effects.

I like the overall background but tightening it up in line with disads and skill set would be helpful.

Not being rude, just typing fast as I head out the door :)

Good feedback. I've made changes and updates.

1) I moved the characteristics from powers back to characteristics section. Personal preference so no biggie. I pulled those from PAH.

2) What is the standard Ggaru mutation that I missed? As for pet, I was going to post it separately. I will post it next.

3) Changed so Ggaru is native and paid points for common. PS: Cartography was for his innate ability draw maps of any place he's been. I was using the skill, and eidetic memory to represent that. I was thinking of putting a limitation on the eiditic memory but didn't know what or how much it was worth or allowed. Weaponsmithing is ability to repair and maintain weapons. I figured most nomads would have ability to maintain and repair weapons. Not major repairs like reforging a tip on spear but more like reattaching a loose spear tip. I have dropped them. Do you have a better suggestion for this or is that something most anybody could do? I have added AKs. Those were postd after I had already worked up the first draft.

4) I have reworked some of the disads.

Good feedback. I've made changes and updates.

1) I moved the characteristics from powers back to characteristics section. Personal preference so no biggie. I pulled those from PAH.

2) What is the standard Ggaru mutation that I missed? As for pet, I was going to post it separately. I will post it next.

3) Changed so Ggaru is native and paid points for common. PS: Cartography was for his innate ability draw maps of any place he's been. I was using the skill, and eidetic memory to represent that. I was thinking of putting a limitation on the eiditic memory but didn't know what or how much it was worth or allowed. Weaponsmithing is ability to repair and maintain weapons. I figured most nomads would have ability to maintain and repair weapons. Not major repairs like reforging a tip on spear but more like reattaching a loose spear tip. I have dropped them. Do you have a better suggestion for this or is that something most anybody could do? I have added AKs. Those were postd after I had already worked up the first draft.

4) I have reworked some of the disads.

1. ok

2. I dont think you took away from the Ggaru "powers" you just removed their disad for speach (which is ok). I was refering to the few abilities that you have: armor, mind link, smell disease

3. PS: Cartography - sounds fine, I just did not see any logic or char history for the power. I dont mind weaponsmith, I just did not see it in the background. You had "Shaman" and then weaponsmith... seemed like a streatch. However, if you wanted Weaponsmith: Primitive Weapons then that would make a lot of sense in context. I was just trying to envision a native american type tribe forging swords and poleaxes ;) AK and whatnot, as new info comes in it is understood (and welcomed) that characters are refined.

4. Disads - ok.

Put up when when you can and we will move things along to the next level. I really see a lot of strengths with the character and some real differences from the standard Wastelander type (which is a good thing).

What are you guys looking for in a background? Mine was called thin.

Basic, not thin. Plus, the background in your Hero Designer file has less than what you posted here. So, let's take a look at your background as posted on the boards:

My character idea is a Mut, Mutated Human, who grew up in Fedrex. His father, a one time hunter of the Cinders (mainly because he had Mutation Immunity: Fire/Heat) retired from Cargo hunting after his leg was amputated in a battle by a Soldier, with Cargo built up and after recovery, the character's father bought land inside Fedrex and began his business of making brick. Making brick for housing and construction proved his constant merit to Fedrex, of which a portion always goes to the city. The character's father became bitter and a drunk retelling stories of his exploits when younger and whole.

My character is one of a few children that he sired and was put to work. If there is a dirty job any where in Fedrex, if it needs to be scooped, scraped or sanded, my character was sent to work. And punishment was handed out in great heaps if the work did not come up to standards, and it never did. That work was, odd jobs and the like, happened in between harvest of left over straw and plant stalk collection and mixture with mud for brick. Constant punishment and a many hours of labor left little or no time for play or rest. In addition the father would make sure that his boys would learn how to shoot and fight so as to carry on his name in the defense of Redrex.

The mother explained that it was just a way to train the boys for the hardships ahead in life, but most still shook thier heads and wondered at other reasons.

Here are my questions for Arc:

Has your brother Trig undertaken the quest for Cargo? If so, did he survive?

You have some potent mutations - far more than most muts. Did they make any difference in how you were treated? Did you ever use them in anger?

Do you have any friends in Fedrex, given your lack of time for socializing? Did you go to the Council and ask to take the quest for Cargo early?

Are you more interested in completing the quest for Cargo, or seeing if there is a better place in the outside world?

What do you intend to do should you survive the quest for Cargo? Settle in Fedrex? Continue to work for your father?

Why do you hate Cinders? They injured your father, a man who apparently treats you like crap because your work is never up to his standards. How would you describe your relationship with your father?

Here are my answers for Arc:

Has your brother Trig undertaken the quest for Cargo? If so, did he survive?

Trig older by a few years has quested for Cargo. Trig and a few others older than him left Fedrex a few years ago and while they have appeared to trade at the base of the Mountain they have not returned, even once, with Cargo to submit to the Council.

They have traded some Cargo but the stories from the traders who dealt with them is that they are haggard and wounded but in good spirits.

There are rumors they are on a secret mission for the Council, some say they have found a better place to trade Cargo, and yet others say thatthey are being used by other townships as protection while they are hunting for Cargo. Some say its a sign that Cargo is becoming harder and harder to find.

You have some potent mutations - far more than most muts. Did they make any difference in how you were treated? Did you ever use them in anger?

It rapidly became evident that use of his mutation had severe limitations. His father made him exercise his Mind Speak citing that if that is what Arc had he had better learn to use it well before going out into the world. Learning that it is almost impossible for Arc to use his Telepathy without the subject

learning of its use, and where it might be coming from. As for the Scribing, Arc practiced leaving images of people and places on small objects as reminders or like a map, where he had hidden things. Before leaving to trade or to help with construction Arc would scribe in the ideas of what he wanted to trade for or what others wanted him to trade for. On hunting missions in the mountains he would look around for locations to guide by and scribe them in, or when told if this plant was good to eat or that plant to be avoided, he could scribe that on to a a piece of cloth or metal or stone.

Arc would practice sending thoughts, describing plants or tracks or items he had tucked away or places he would be at a certain time. A near impossible power to abuse, but on occasion his father would require attempts at stealthy use, but they never worked out well, except in rare cases.

As for the Precision, yes it has been used in Training and in anger. In training always against other kids is age or even if father could arrange other moree seasoned muts to train. In Anger if hurt or by surprise but since Arc does not carry weapon outsdie of training, little chance anyone was seriously hurt, and if they were, well, there is worse waiitng outside in the world.

Are there any other Muts with mental mutations?

Do you have any friends in Fedrex, given your lack of time for socializing?

Oh yes, kids that are within a few years of Arc yes, the system was designed for failure. Meaning, being driven to work and to have chores all the time, meant that when Arc drifted off to play, slacked off to help a friend, sandbagged to stay longer at a place, which is inevitable, the blame was always his not the workload or chore load.

As a background matter I have no idea what other reactions would be, some might nod and agree that work and training need to be extreme , others might think it harsh and a little too brutal. In the end all would say that it is the fathers way to raise his son.

Did you go to the Council and ask to take the quest for Cargo early?

No Arc has been told over and over he is not ready, must work harder and train more. It probably would never occur to Arc that this is a possibility. Given his brother is still out there and it appears that the Cargo hunting is not going well for him,Arc listens to his father.

Are you more interested in completing the quest for Cargo, or seeing if there is a better place in the outside world?

Arc has had drilled into him time and time again the social contract. Cargo ensures citizenship. The world in full of things that will, in no particular order, Eat you , Kill you, starve you, burn you, use you to find others to Eat/Kill, enslave you.

Your value is directly related to the Cargo you bring in, fight, work , defend yourself, bring in Cargo, then you die.

That is life.

There are other places in the world, but none could be better. In fact because Fedrex is hidden it is better than other places in the world.

What do you intend to do should you survive the quest for Cargo? Settle in Fedrex? Continue to work for your father?

What else is there. Find Cargo, earn your keep in Fedrex, your keep expires, find more Cargo. Find muts you trust to bring back Cargo, kill backstabbers and those that would take cargo from you. Simple.

Why do you hate Cinders?

Pillar, Arc's father, raised Arc on stories of hair raising horror and maiming of Cinders and that they are a terror and plague on all things that think and feel in the world, not just Muts or Pures. Wiping out towns, dragging populations to underground burrows and warrens of tunnels to be kept in darkness and served to the Queen in pieces. Pieces after the cuts had been cauterized by firey acid. Populations of breeders raising a sickly crop of children made albino by lack of light, that are fattened up and then served to the Queen alive. His father heroic struggles to stop tides, waves of soldiers as they marched in hundreds of thousands( strange words) that they form unnatural chains and even combine to make monstrous sized shapes composed of hundreds of Cinders working together, rare Cinder muts that have wings and fly, some ion numbers so large they blot out the Great Solar.

They injured your father, a man who apparently treats you like crap because your work is never up to his standards. How would you describe your relationship with your father?

The relationship works like all others. I do that he says, I don't and I get thrown in a hole or practice becomes especially painful and I spend some days trying to work with a host of bruises and injuries. He looks after me, feeds me, trains me, tells me things I need to know like Cinders, things I need to know to survive and bring back Cargo.

He is a great man, and when his leg was bitten off by a Cinder, was he given extra cargo? No. He did what he had to and bore th e consequences. Greatness.

Made changes. Second draft. I have dropped the bird pet. It was a nice idea but logistically, I don't think it will work for me. Instead, I changed it so he has a twin sister (DNPC) that he brought to Fedrex so now he must find enough Cargo for both of them. Let me know thoughts.

MAKA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [3]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-/12-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

12 COM 1 11-

8 PD 5 Total: 8 PD (4 rPD)

3 ED 0 Total: 3 ED (2 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

26 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 42

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Ggaru Mutations

19 1) Canine Nose: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) +1 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 2) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

3 2) Effective Liver: Life Support (Immunity: Bad Water)

3 3) Low Light Vision: Nightvision (5 Active Points); Black and White Only (-¼), Requires Some Light (-¼)

6 4) Running on All Fours: Running +3" (9" total) 1

Other Mutations

3 1) Protective Hide: Damage Resistance (4 PD/2 ED)

6 2) Smell the Disease: Detect A Class Of Things 11-/12- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 1

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

15 Skill Master (+3 with all Skills based on INT)

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Mountains (2 Active Points) 11-

2 2) AK: Waste Plains (3 Active Points) 12-

1 3) CK: Lo (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) CK: Seven Wells (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) CK: Undertown (2 Active Points) 11-

Skills of a Nomad's Life

1 1) Language: Ancient (basic conversation)

3 2) Language: Common (completely fluent)

1 3) Language: Trade Sign (basic conversation)

3 4) Trading 12-

2 5) Navigation (Land) 11-

3 6) Tracking 11-

4 7) Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 11-

4 8) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

2 9) Weaponsmith (Primitive Weapons) 11-

Shamanic Training

3 1) Forensic Medicine (Embalming) 11-

2 2) KS: Flora And Fauna 11-

2 3) KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore 11-

3 4) Paramedics (Healing) 11-

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 1) AK: Fedrex 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) KS: Legends and Lore 11-

0 6) Language: Ggaru (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 7) PS: Cartography 11-

0 8) Paramedics (Healing) 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

0 11) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0 12) TF: Wasteland Riding Animals

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 108

Total Cost: 150

75+ Disadvantages

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

10 Distinctive Features: Beast (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutated Animal - Genetic Marker (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

10 Physical Limitation: Semi Upright (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

Notes: This character can walk on two legs, but must run on all fours. His pelvis is slightly elongated from the typical butterfly shaped human pelvis. Apes and monkeys are good examples of this Disadvantage. When running on all fours, this character may not hold any objects in his hands. All such objects must be holstered, stored, or otherwise put away.

5 Physical Limitation: Large size (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)

5 Social Limitation: Outcast (Occasionally; Minor)

10 Psychological Limitation: Tries to Keep Secret Fact That he can Speak Tradespeak (Uncommon; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Must Defend the Weak and Innocent (Common; Strong)

10 Dependent NPC: Magena (his twin sister) 8- (Normal)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: When Ehawee and Nahimana first discovered Ehawee was pregnant, they were overjoyed. Then when they realized it was twins, their excitement grew even more. Nahimana was the shaman for the Chu’pik tribe. He went on a spirit journey in the traditional sweat lodge to see what lay ahead for his children. He emerged a changed man for he had foreseen the death of his wife and the conflicts that would arise because of his unborn children. Ehawee knew something was different as well.

Maka and Magena were born during a new moon. Maka came out and was a lot larger than the average Ggaru. Ehawee was almost too exhausted to deliver Magena. Magena was much smaller than the average Ggaru. The twins were like polar opposites. Maka had a much thicker hide but Magena had a frailer hide. True to Nahimana’s vision, Ehawee did not survive the childbirth.

Nahimana raised the twins by himself. The other females in the tribe helped some but they still were leery of Maka and Magena. Some aura surrounded them that scared the others. Nahimana would read to the twins every night from the ancient scroll. He taught them about herbs and how to use them for medicinal purposes. Another shock came when Maka and Magena spoke Tradespeak. Many in the tribe could understand it but none could actually speak it. This was a secret that Nahimana had to keep from the rest of the already frightened tribe. Both children showed an extreme aptitude to learning. They were learning as fast as he could teach them. While other Ggaru pups were just getting the handle of the basics of many skills, Maka and Magena had already mastered them.

During their fourth year, a famine spread across the plains. The Uff herds were greatly diminished. As if the tension was not bad enough between tribes competing for the remaining Uff, the Chu’pik began turning on itself. Ehawee had always been the maintainer of peace. Without her there, the tribe began tearing itself apart. Many blamed the twins as bringers of bad luck. During a visit from a trader, Maka accidently spoke to him. The news of Maka’s ability quickly spread and like fuel to the fire, the tribe took that as further proof that Maka and Magena were the reason for the famine. Their family was driven out of the tribe and became outcast of the plains.

The family wandered the plains and mountains. Nahimana began trading with many of the vendors in the cities to get whatever supplies they needed to survive. Without Altsoba there to repair and maintain their weapons, they were forced to learn that themselves. As they traveled, Maka began to display an innate talent to draw maps of any place they had been. He drew the maps as though he had an overhead view of the landscape. This ability came in handy when they could trade the maps to others in the cities heading out for Cargo.

Maka’s healer training led him to discover another talent he had, he could smell disease. It started one day when he noticed some of the humans smelled different than others. Upon investigation, he found out that they suffered from different diseases. This was another service he could trade for supplies. Tragedy struck when one day in his eleventh year, he smelled that scent on his father even before signs of the disease began to show. He searched the ancient scrolls and his knowledge of herbs and came across a possible cure. Unfortunately, some the herbs he needed were in the Great Var.

With great reluctance, he left Magena to tend to Nahimana while he journeyed to get the herbs. They had befriended a water vendor in Seven Wells and he had agreed to let them stay with him while Maka went. Maka made it to the Great Var and began his search for the ingredients. There he discovered species of plant he had never known. Unaware of the danger, he was attacked and gravely wounded. As he fought to stay alive, his last memory was of an angelic figure over him and he felt peace. When he awoke, he found himself in a temple in Fedrex. His wounds had healed and his health had returned. Nobody there knew how he had gotten there. Maka just turned up on the steps on morning badly wounded. He discovered that many months had pasted since he fell in Great Var and the time he awoke. Maka quickly went back to Seven Wells to see his father but unfortunately, Nahimana had already passed. Saddened that he was unable to save him, Maka took Magena and returned to Fedrex.

Maka figured that since they had tended his wounds without knowing who he was, they must be good folks. Now according to the rules, he must find Cargo in order the stay. But now, he must find enough for himself and Magena.

Personality/Motivation: Maka is driven by his family ties. Magena is all that remains and as his little sister, it is his responsibility to protect and provide for her. He blames his ability to speak other tongues as the reason for the family's hardships.

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Maka is a lumbering hulk compared to the average Ggaru. When standing upright, he is 6'2" and weighs 175 lbs.

Made changes. Second draft. I have dropped the bird pet. It was a nice idea but logistically, I don't think it will work for me. Instead, I changed it so he has a twin sister (DNPC) that he brought to Fedrex so now he must find enough Cargo for both of them. Let me know thoughts.

MAKA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-/12-

12 COM 1 11-

6 REC 0

30 END 0

26 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 42

Stats look fine.

Cost Powers END

Ggaru Mutations

19 1) Canine Nose: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) +1 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 2) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

3 3) Low Light Vision: Nightvision (5 Active Points); Black and White Only (-¼), Requires Some Light (-¼)

Other Mutations

6 2) Smell the Disease: Detect A Class Of Things 11-/12- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 1

Power look fine too.

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

Again, fine.

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Mountains (2 Active Points) 11-

2 2) AK: Waste Plains (3 Active Points) 12-

1 3) CK: Lo (2 Active Points) 11-

Skills of a Nomad's Life

3 2) Language: Common (completely fluent)

3 4) Trading 12-

3 6) Tracking 11-

4 7) Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 11-

4 8) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

2 9) Weaponsmith (Primitive Weapons) 11-

Shamanic Training

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 108

1. You have come city knowledge but not the area knowledge of the land between them. Considering you spent a lot of time travelling, I would drop the CK: Lo and replace it with AK: Lo Road. Lo Road + the Waste Plains + Mountains gets you just about the entire region.

2. Replace "Common" with Amrikana. It is the common tounge. It should also be the language you spoke, since Trade Sign is not actually a spoken tounge.

75+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Beast (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutated Animal - Genetic Marker (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

Notes: This character can walk on two legs, but must run on all fours. His pelvis is slightly elongated from the typical butterfly shaped human pelvis. Apes and monkeys are good examples of this Disadvantage. When running on all fours, this character may not hold any objects in his hands. All such objects must be holstered, stored, or otherwise put away.

5 Physical Limitation: Large size (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)

10 Psychological Limitation: Tries to Keep Secret Fact That he can Speak Tradespeak (Uncommon; Strong)

6 ft 2 would have a Large Size disad for a Ggaru who lived in the Ggaru culture, but you dont live with them anymore. Here are some "Large Size" Disads for the usual world (source: The Master List of Disadvantages). I dont agree with the Master list 100% for costs, as sometimes there are just wonky :) Also, their costs are to a general campaign, points dont reflect some campaigns accurately.

Tall

Infrequently, Slightly 5pts.

This character is taller than is normal, and is significantly taller than is average. Because of this, the character is uncomfortable is tight spaces (such as elevators, buildings with low-ceilings, compact cars, etc.) He has difficulty finding clothing that fits, and even when he does usually must pay higher prices for it. Shower heads are usually positioned so that, when running, the water spray strikes him right in the belly. In addition, the character is intimidating to those around him, whether he wants to be or not. Any Persuasion roll gains a +1 bonus, but all other Interaction Skills dealing with people suffer a -1 penalty. If the character is taller than 6' 6", try Giant instead.

I don't agree with the Persuasion bonus for being tall. If you want a higher intimidation roll, buy up the skill. I do agree with the negative to interaction rolls ("How are the clouds up there Dances"). In addition I would also impose a -1 to all stealth related rolls. The race does not wear clothing, so the extra price is not paid. However, if you do want to wear something like armor, etc the fitting cost will increase the price. So, for 5 points you could get the Tall disadvantage. However, you need to bump your height up another inch or so.

Giant

Frequently, Greatly 15pts.

A character with this Disadvantage is dramatically taller than a normal person without actually having the Growth power. The character is at least 6'6" tall. In addition, the character probably weighs in excess of 250 pounds, even if not massively built or obese. Though most people who qualify as giants are physically imposing and capable of incredible feats of strength, they also have low stamina and often suffer incredible health problems. The most common problems are arthritis and heart disease, even when they try to keep themselves in shape. This translates as a limit of 15 on their Constitution scores. In addition, he suffers all the same penalties of being Tall, and cannot also take that Disadvantage. Also, a true Giant usually eats more than a normal person, even if he is not overweight; food costs go up proportionally. For a superheroic-level character this Disadvantage might not be appropriate. In that case, try the Physical Limitation Heavy instead.

I would let Giant float as 15 pointer. This disad would mean your CON max is 15 and you eat twice the amount of food. I would add you can't purchase your END up past what your CON gives you. You would also be prone to needing additional rest for the long trips on the road. For game play you would suffer from issues regarding being tired 25% earlier than others. So, if a full days movement is 8 hours, yours would be 6 hours.

Outcast is fine, but it will probably impact you whenever you run into other Ggaru (besides your DNPC).

Tries to keep the fact that he can speak Tradespeak needs to change to "Hides the Fact he can speak non-ggaru". This would mean he tries to keep the fact hidden from everyone, not just other ggaru. However, he has become an Outcast among the Ggaru. If they know why he is an outcast, then its not much of a secret. Let me explain, a freakishly large Ggaru walks up to a Ggaru war party. They are going to point and bark out "Its the Dark Cloud of Chu'pik. Keep your forked tounge and bad medicine away from us and we will leave you in peace." The Trading Carvan master who employed you as a guard asks another party member "What did that Ggaru say?" (because he can't ask you, Ggaru don't speak Amrikana). Catch 22. Is this the delimia you envision?

Background/History: When Ehawee and Nahimana first discovered Ehawee was pregnant, they were overjoyed. Then when they realized it was twins, their excitement grew even more. Nahimana was the shaman for the Chu’pik tribe. He went on a spirit journey in the traditional sweat lodge to see what lay ahead for his children. He emerged a changed man for he had foreseen the death of his wife and the conflicts that would arise because of his unborn children. Ehawee knew something was different as well.

Maka and Magena were born during a new moon. Maka came out and was a lot larger than the average Ggaru. Ehawee was almost too exhausted to deliver Magena. Magena was much smaller than the average Ggaru. The twins were like polar opposites. Maka had a much thicker hide but Magena had a frailer hide. True to Nahimana’s vision, Ehawee did not survive the childbirth.

Nahimana raised the twins by himself. The other females in the tribe helped some but they still were leery of Maka and Magena. Some aura surrounded them that scared the others. Nahimana would read to the twins every night from the ancient scroll. He taught them about herbs and how to use them for medicinal purposes. Another shock came when Maka and Magena spoke Tradespeak. Many in the tribe could understand it but none could actually speak it. This was a secret that Nahimana had to keep from the rest of the already frightened tribe. Both children showed an extreme aptitude to learning. They were learning as fast as he could teach them. While other Ggaru pups were just getting the handle of the basics of many skills, Maka and Magena had already mastered them.

During their fourth year, a famine spread across the plains. The Uff herds were greatly diminished. As if the tension was not bad enough between tribes competing for the remaining Uff, the Chu’pik began turning on itself. Ehawee had always been the maintainer of peace. Without her there, the tribe began tearing itself apart. Many blamed the twins as bringers of bad luck. During a visit from a trader, Maka accidently spoke to him. The news of Maka’s ability quickly spread and like fuel to the fire, the tribe took that as further proof that Maka and Magena were the reason for the famine. Their family was driven out of the tribe and became outcast of the plains.

The family wandered the plains and mountains. Nahimana began trading with many of the vendors in the cities to get whatever supplies they needed to survive. Without Altsoba there to repair and maintain their weapons, they were forced to learn that themselves. As they traveled, Maka began to display an innate talent to draw maps of any place they had been. He drew the maps as though he had an overhead view of the landscape. This ability came in handy when they could trade the maps to others in the cities heading out for Cargo.

Maka’s healer training led him to discover another talent he had, he could smell disease. It started one day when he noticed some of the humans smelled different than others. Upon investigation, he found out that they suffered from different diseases. This was another service he could trade for supplies. Tragedy struck when one day in his eleventh year, he smelled that scent on his father even before signs of the disease began to show. He searched the ancient scrolls and his knowledge of herbs and came across a possible cure. Unfortunately, some the herbs he needed were in the Great Var.

With great reluctance, he left Magena to tend to Nahimana while he journeyed to get the herbs. They had befriended a water vendor in Seven Wells and he had agreed to let them stay with him while Maka went. Maka made it to the Great Var and began his search for the ingredients. There he discovered species of plant he had never known. Unaware of the danger, he was attacked and gravely wounded. As he fought to stay alive, his last memory was of an angelic figure over him and he felt peace. When he awoke, he found himself in a temple in Fedrex. His wounds had healed and his health had returned. Nobody there knew how he had gotten there. Maka just turned up on the steps on morning badly wounded. He discovered that many months had pasted since he fell in Great Var and the time he awoke. Maka quickly went back to Seven Wells to see his father but unfortunately, Nahimana had already passed. Saddened that he was unable to save him, Maka took Magena and returned to Fedrex.

Maka figured that since they had tended his wounds without knowing who he was, they must be good folks. Now according to the rules, he must find Cargo in order the stay. But now, he must find enough for himself and Magena.

Personality/Motivation: Maka is driven by his family ties. Magena is all that remains and as his little sister, it is his responsibility to protect and provide for her. He blames his ability to speak other tongues as the reason for the family's hardships.

Appearance: Maka is a lumbering hulk compared to the average Ggaru. When standing upright, he is 6'2" and weighs 175 lbs.

The background is tied together very well. It shows why you are an outcast, how you came to Fedrex and your need for Cargo.

As a side note, you have tracking with your nose and tracking as a skill. Which do you see as your primary use for tracking? Keeping the skill is fine as you have two sources to track from but I need to talk with Fed about complementary roles. Also, you could get additional PER for the same cost as the track skill (3 points) with Smell so your Smell PER rolls would be improved. +1 with Smell/Taste PER is 2 points and +1 Range Mod for Smell is 1 point. You already have the Keen Nose for Disease, I dont have problem with a better roll. You really only have 9 points in Powers beyond the racial norm (a Mutie Beast if you will, or is that a Beast Mutie?)

Here's the changes made:

Dropped Tracking skill. I wasn't thinking right. Survival would be used for tracking and hunting prey and the Tracking on smell would be used for tracking anything else, at least by smell. I moved those points to +1 with Smell/Taste PER for 2pts and +2 vs Range mods for 1pt.

Dropped COM down to 10. See disads

Bumped Size up to giant for 15 pts. Dropped the Psych to hide speaking non Ggaru. Figure most people do not find a 7'3", 330 lb ggaru particular attractive.

Dropped Trading down to familiarity. Figure as huge beast, he did not do most of the talking it was either dad or sis but he understands basics.

For some reason, LS: immunity against bad water was at 3pts instead of the 1pt you had in the monster entry.

Used those points to buy Stretching (0 END, no noncombat stretching, no velocity damage) to represent long arms of a giant.

And changed CK: Lo for AK: Lo Road.

So unless there are any other changes or suggestions, I think I am set.

Looking at the characters that have been proposed I had a few questions. Do you think we need a Pure character also' date=' someone with bartering, merchant skills seems like it would be important.[/quote']

We are looking just acceptable players/characters right now. Fed and I are hoping some Pure's come on board BUT if the group size does not pan out we will both take an NPC. So, if Fed is GMing I will play a NPC and vise versa. We both know the overall plot of the game, but we are making stand alone adventures and plot adders. So, we get to play too (if just a little bit) :) We will also be putting some "red" shirts in on the first adventure but their survivability is questionable ;)

Fed and I really don't want to NPCs to be Pure, considering the strength of the genotype. However, the great thing about this kinda of genera is playing the muties. We will just have to play it by ear and see what happens. As it stands right now my "main" NPC is going to be scavanger who saw Cassrock take the hit. His is not as skilled as Dances in Area Knowledges, but he is a good trader. I know Feds main is a priest type, so he is going to be a people person. We would honestly start the game with 4 solid players as picking up others in the Wasteland should be an easy add.

Here's the changes made:

Dropped Tracking skill. I wasn't thinking right. Survival would be used for tracking and hunting prey and the Tracking on smell would be used for tracking anything else, at least by smell. I moved those points to +1 with Smell/Taste PER for 2pts and +2 vs Range mods for 1pt.

Dropped COM down to 10. See disads

Bumped Size up to giant for 15 pts. Dropped the Psych to hide speaking non Ggaru. Figure most people do not find a 7'3", 330 lb ggaru particular attractive.

Dropped Trading down to familiarity. Figure as huge beast, he did not do most of the talking it was either dad or sis but he understands basics.

For some reason, LS: immunity against bad water was at 3pts instead of the 1pt you had in the monster entry.

Used those points to buy Stretching (0 END, no noncombat stretching, no velocity damage) to represent long arms of a giant.

And changed CK: Lo for AK: Lo Road.

So unless there are any other changes or suggestions, I think I am set.

Can you post the newest version? I can look it over tonight and see if we can ADD a new player to HeroCentral :)

MAKA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-/13-

10 COM 0 11-

6 REC 0

30 END 0

26 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 41

Cost Powers END

Ggaru Mutations

22 1) Canine Nose: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 3) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

Other Mutations

6 2) Smell the Disease: Detect Disease 11-/13- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 1

5 3) Long Arms: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼)

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Lo Road (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: Mountains (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) AK: Waste Plains (3 Active Points) 12-

Skills of a Nomad's Life

3 2) Language: Amrikana (completely fluent)

1 4) Trading 8-

4 6) Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 11-

4 7) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

2 8) Weaponsmith (Primitive Weapons) 11-

Shamanic Training

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 111

Total Cost: 152

75+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Giant (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)

Notes: -1 to all Interaction skills-1 to stealth rollsMust eat twice as muchCON is limited to 15 and END is limited to CON x2Prone to tire 25% earlier than others

2 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 152

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Maka is a lumbering hulk compared to the average Ggaru. He dwarfs most ggaru standing at 7'3" when upright and weighing nearly twice as much as the average ggaru.

MAKA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-/13-

10 COM 0 11-

6 REC 0

30 END 0

26 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 41

Cost Powers END

Ggaru Mutations

22 1) Canine Nose: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 3) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

Other Mutations

6 2) Smell the Disease: Detect Disease 11-/13- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 1

5 3) Long Arms: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼)

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Lo Road (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: Mountains (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) AK: Waste Plains (3 Active Points) 12-

Skills of a Nomad's Life

3 2) Language: Amrikana (completely fluent)

1 4) Trading 8-

4 6) Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 11-

4 7) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

2 8) Weaponsmith (Primitive Weapons) 11-

Shamanic Training

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 111

Total Cost: 152

75+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Giant (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)

Notes: -1 to all Interaction skills-1 to stealth rollsMust eat twice as muchCON is limited to 15 and END is limited to CON x2Prone to tire 25% earlier than others

2 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 152

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Maka is a lumbering hulk compared to the average Ggaru. He dwarfs most ggaru standing at 7'3" when upright and weighing nearly twice as much as the average ggaru.

I am going to state the obvious here :cool: You can take the Concealable for being a Beast to Not Concealable. You are 7'3" 250+ lbs fur covered nightmare :sneaky: The term Garu finds a home in your new form :ugly: I would take the 5 points and drop your DNPC down a peg... make her more skilled. I like that you stuck to your guns on the outcast, being your size and with your background it makes sense.

Considering your immense size do you think the 15 STR is still ok? I could easily see a 7'3" tall werewolf walking around with a 20 STR. If I were to shave points I would just drop your Skill Master +3 to +2. Also, you can change the LS: Immunity to Bad Water to one point by picking a 1 post LS and just typing over the name OR just reduce it through the added and delete the characters. That will drop your 2 xp over issue.

Make your final decision to the build and repost. I pretty much consider Dances to be in. Send a message to Fed asking for permission to enter the game. You have a thumbs up from this half of the team.

I am going to state the obvious here :cool: You can take the Concealable for being a Beast to Not Concealable. You are 7'3" 250+ lbs fur covered nightmare :sneaky: The term Garu finds a home in your new form :ugly: I would take the 5 points and drop your DNPC down a peg... make her more skilled. I like that you stuck to your guns on the outcast, being your size and with your background it makes sense.

Considering your immense size do you think the 15 STR is still ok? I could easily see a 7'3" tall werewolf walking around with a 20 STR. If I were to shave points I would just drop your Skill Master +3 to +2. Also, you can change the LS: Immunity to Bad Water to one point by picking a 1 post LS and just typing over the name OR just reduce it through the added and delete the characters. That will drop your 2 xp over issue.

Make your final decision to the build and repost. I pretty much consider Dances to be in. Send a message to Fed asking for permission to enter the game. You have a thumbs up from this half of the team.

Made the changes and applied on Hero Central

One final question. What is our starting equipment' date=' if any? I figure Dances would have basic weapons, club and atatl.[/quote']

Fed and I have not finalized the "starting" equipment exactly, a case by case basis based on skills and background was going to be the determining factor. Considering Dances can create primitive weapons, they are all fair game to have but the materials are going to be wood, stone and scavanged metal. If you think an "indian" would have it, then I am up for it: Atatl, club, axe, knives, etc. You might even be able to sell a some goods to the locals for a little extra food; I mean an axe handle is an axe handle.

At the time of the prequel the players have enough food for the day. Do you think you are going to pack more than a atatl (and darts), a club and a knife? It is HOGS DAY after all :)

Okay, time to give feedback on Arc:

Name: Now that the theme has changed from electrical to more of a mental focus, do you still want to use the name Arc, or something else?

Background: I'd like to see the info posted on this thread and the info in the Background tab of Hero Designer combined into a single, unified form.

Characteristics: These are good. You could get away with buying up your base PD and/or ED a point or two, given your background in hard physical labor and your training against Cinders (did Dad hold your hand near the campfire flame?).

Skills:

• Are you planning to use Sweep a lot? 5 points for Rapid Attack is a big investment for a beginning character, especially when your OCV maxes out at 5 (4 + 1 level with three maneuvers).
  • What three maneuvers or tight group are you using for your combat skill level?
  • You have WF: Rifles. When did you get a chance to use a rifle?
  • You have 4 other WF with specific groups that work to be the same cost as buying Common Melee Weapons and Common Missile Weapons. You may want to go that route, especially with Dad's training.
  • AK: Fedrex will be useful, but a lot of adventures will take place elsewhere. You may want to lower it slightly to begin with, and buy it up with XP. Not a requirement, just a suggestion if you need points to round out other aspects of the character.
  • Minor nitpick - PS: Brickcraft? Should be either Bricklayer or Mason
  • You have a total of 9 points spent on skill levels - 3 with a combat level and 2 3-point levels with a set number of skills. You've also bought up a few skills. Given your working "every dirty job in Fedrex", I could see you converting some of these different investments into a single Overall Level. For example, drop the 3-point combat level, one of the 3-point skill levels, drop the skill rolls of AK: Fedrex, PS: Brickcraft (Bricklayer), KS: Architecture, and drop your STUN by 1 point. That gives you the 10 points for the Overall Level, and you end up with a bit more flexibility while still maxing out at the same rolls for skills.

Talents: I assume the Environmental Movement is for Cinder nests, which is fine.

Powers:

• Akashic Insight: The AP on attacks is going to stay within the 6 DC limit for the time being, even though the rules allow for a HKA with an advantage to be increased with STR (potentially going past the limit). I'm going to reexamine this after the first adventure to see if it's working as intended, and I may give some leeway for two reasons. First, I'm more likely to allow a melee character to slightly jump the normal limits than a character who can stay at range and attack. Second, AP sometimes isn't that great of an advantage, as a 1d6+1 AP HKA is usually less effective than a 2d6 HKA without the advantage.
  • Object Imprint Reading: Looks good.
  • Thought Scribe: My co-GM is concerned that you're spending 8 points for something that may not have much of a game effect. I'm fine with it, but I thought I'd pass that along.
  • Telepathy: The "emotionally stressful / damaging environments" seems rather vague? How about replacing it with Concentration? If you're emotionally stressed or being damaged by the environment, chances are you won't be able to concentrate. Also, this should be the Human class of minds (which includes Muts).

Disadvantages:

• Must Prove Self to Community / Ambitious: Let's shorten this to Must Prove Self or Ambitious, depending on which attribute fits better.
  • Hatred / Compulsion to Kill Cinders: This isn't a compulsion at Moderate. I'd call it Hatred of Ciinders. At the moderate level, this is a rational hatred...it won't force you to make irrational decisions (though you can still do so if you want).
  • Distrust / Fear of Anyone Not From Fedrex: Er, I'm not that comfortable with a disadvantage that makes you distrust and/or fear almost everyone you will encounter during the game. Perhaps we could retool this one into something less xenophobic?
  • Vulnerabilities: The way I treat these is that one is versus damage (STUN taken from mental attacks is x1.5) and the other is versus non-damage effects (increased totals on Mind Control, Mental Illusions, etc). I'd suggest converting these into other disadvantages later on, when you have more experience with the world.
  • Hunted: I may modify this to some other Hunted. Same points, but it'll be more of a surprise...
  • Rivalry: This will have to change if we don't find a PC to fit the bill. You could take an NPC rival, which would be someone your age who is also going on the quest for Cargo. However, you'd need to find 5 more points.

Equipment: As your father is a former Cinder hunter, you'd have access to whatever of your father's equipment he's willing to part with. This would include one of his spears, some armor, standard travel gear like waterskins and a bedroll, etc. Make a list, and I'll let you know if I see any problems.

Look over the comments, make some adjustments, and hopefully we'll be close to getting you into the game. Zac is running a small prequel, which is entirely optional but should be fun.

Hey all!

I've been pondering something for this campaign for a while, and here she is!

Character behind spoiler

Background/History: Born in Fedrex, Shori was from a strange an ecletic family. For generations they had sought to preserve the knowledge lost to man and mankind, much to the dismay of the village elders. But, when something or someone in the city broke, they were the ones able to fix it. With pieced together manuals of technology and anatomy, there was very little the family could not fix, from holy buckets to broken bones.

When Shori turned 16, her father told her it was time for her to walk into the wilderness, and find something from the old world to bring back, and prove herself as worthy of the blood she held within her veins. So she left, having heard tales about the war in Casrock, she made her way to the ruins. Once there, she found that the tales had been true, the city had been burned, and skeletons still lay where they were left to burn. As she wandered the carnage, she found a displaced boulder. It had either been rolled down the hill, or perhaps launched from a trebuche, but it had landed on one of the attackers, pinning him from the waste down. Its bones had been picked clean, all that remained was the creatures armor. Believing she had found what she left to find, Shori pulled on the armor, but it didn't budge. After much trying, she left her treasure to find something with which to pry it loose. And loose it came, but not as she had intended. The lower half had been left under the boulder.

As she examined the armor, she found that on the back was a flap with an etching on it. Wiping the etching free, she saw what looked to be a lilly that frew in the field. Currious, she quickly retrieved a lilly and put it into the receptical. The machine immediately began to whur, as power coursed back into his frame. With a hydrolic his, the piece that remained torn from the boulders impact dropped off. Leaving the base of the machine clear of damage. Facinated by what she had discovered, Shori pulled what remained of the former owner out of her treasure, and sliped her arms into the sleaves.

Detecting the entry of one of the pure, the suit responded to its new user. It shrank to fit the operator, and clearing its former user file, began a new file for the user with DNA P3H4N5.

Knowing that she had done two of her three tasks, she only had one thing left before she could return home. Figure out what it did. She tried to move, it felt like nothing, as if the now jacket knew what she was going to do. She concentrated with an outstretched arm to see if it would throw lightning... for an entire afternoon she tried different things to unlock the secrets of her newfound treasure. Then it occured to her, she need to see the rest of it. She moved back towards the boulder and used her lever to try to move the boulder. The Lever bent and snapped with far less effort than she had exerted before, then it clicked. She tried to pick move the boulder and it moved without any effort at all. She had found what it did, it was used to build stone houses and rocks with the power of grasses, and flowers, and trees!

She returned home to make her father proud, and she did. But her first taste of success made her thirst for more. She wanted to see what else was out there. What else to find, and what else there once was.

Personality/Motivation: There is sooo much to the world that Shori hasn't seen, and now that she's had a taste of it, she wants it all!

Quote: "OMG! Its a freudinhopper! My dad told me about these! You stick them on your freudin!" "What's a Freudin? What kind of question is that? Its a... I never asked that."

Powers/Tactics: Mechanics of the body are very similar to the mechanics of a machine. You push them in a direction they aren't supposed to go, and they break. Having that knowledge of mechanics, and of how the body works has taught Shori a few devistating attacks with only her hands.

But she won't attack unless severely provoked. She'd rather wait for the other guy to make the first move.

Campaign Use: She's a technophile! She's had a taste of technology and wants more... but is it really a grenade launcher? Too bad for you its just a shaving creme dispenser!

Appearance: Dark haired fair skinned freckled girl with her hair always tossled. She's pretty, but she has no idea.

Shori Hanzo

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

14 CON 8 12-

13 BODY 6 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

12 PRE 2 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

14 COM 2 12-

4+6 PD 2 Total: 4/10 PD (0/6 rPD)

4+6 ED 1 Total: 4/10 ED (0/6 rED)

3 SPD 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5 REC 0

28 END 0

25 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 58

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

4 Bloodline of Purity: Power Defense (3 points) (Custom Adder), Hardened (+¼) (4 Active Points) 0

Notes: resistant

Starskin, all slots OIF (-½)

Notes: its the torso half of an exo-skeleton

7 1) Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Helmet, Jacket (Protects Locations 4-5, 9-13; -1), OIF (-½) 0

4 2) +10 STR, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (10 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Mr Fusion needs biological waste; -¾), OIF (-½)

4 Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 ¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-¼) 0

4 Joint Lock/Throw +1 +0 Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND ; Target Falls

5 Joint Break -1 -2 Grab One Limb; HKA 1 ½d6 , Disable

5 Grappling Block +1 +1 Grab One Limb, Block

5 Flying Grab -2 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 30 STR for holding on; FMove

5 Defensive Strike +1 +3 4d6 Strike

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

1 Weapon Element: Empty Hand

Skills

3 +1 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Armorsmith 12-

3 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered HTH, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Hoist 12-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Conversation 11-

3 Trading 11-

3 Cryptography 12-

2 Language: Trade SIgn (basic conversation; literate)

2 PS: Appraise 11-

3 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical Plains) 12-

0 Everyman

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) TF: Custom Adder, Equines

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) AK: Fedrex 8-

0 5) KS: Blacksmithing 8-

0 6) Shadowing 8-

0 7) Survival (Mountain) 8-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 92

75+ Disadvantages

15 Psychological Limitation: Cant resist mechanical devices (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Must defend weak or innocent (Uncommon, Strong)

10 Social Limitation: Girl that likes technology... a danger to us all! (Frequently, Minor)

5 Distinctive Features: tattoo on left cheek marks her as a full member of her family (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Hunted: Darwinist 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: Order of the Pure 8- (Mo Pow, Watching)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect From Drugs and Poisons (Common)

[\spoiler]

Guidelines and Character Balancing

(crossposted from the Starfall campaign messages thread)

Here are the guidelines listed in the 5E book for a Heroic-level game:

Character Level: Standard Hero

Points: 75 Base / 75 Disads (no more than 25 points of disads in a category), Total = 150

Char: 10 -20 (Normal Char Max applies)

SPD: 2 - 4

CV: 3 - 7

DCV: 3-8

Active Point: 15-50 (limited to 30 Active Points in Starfall). Powers marked with a Stop Sign or Exclamation are off limits (as per p. 87 in Hero 5E).

Skill Points: 30-75, martial arts and combat levels do not count toward this skill point total

Skill Roll: 8-13 (14+ requires approval)

Def / rDef: 10/5, the max armor level should be around Chainmail (6).

Speaking as someone who has been playing some form of the HERO system since the 80's, character balancing is as much of an art as it is a science. The 5E guidelines are a starting point, but certainly not a hard and fast rule. For example, I could create a character with a 20 DEX, 4 SPD, a 2d6 Ranged Killing Attack, 10/10 PD/ED, with 6/6 of the PD/ED resistant, and 1 combat level with DCV. It falls within all the guidelines listed below...but the character is at the maximum for every guideline related to combat, and would be unbalanced compared to the other characters. The guidelines are a starting point, not hard and fast rules. If someone comes in with a 2 1/2 d6 killing attack, that would violate the limits...but if they only have a 2 SPD, they're going to need to be above the limits to match the damage output of the average character (who attacks 50% more often). Likewise, a character with a 4 SPD is going to be under tigher limits, because they have a third more actions than the average character.

Let's take a look at one of the approved characters - Venus. She has a 25 STR - over the limits listed above. However, she does not use weapons, and her STR-only attack is 5d6, less than the 6 DC maximum for attacks in the campaign...and she has no ranged attacks whatsoever. While she has 4/4 resistant defenses, her total defenses are only 6. Her Speed is average - in fact, all of the characters approved so far have a flat 3 SPD. Finally, she has a 5 CV (from her 14 DEX) and no combat levels whatsoever. Despite being above the listed limits in one area, I'm not worried about her overshadowing the other characters. In fact, I'm worried that she'll be underpowered in situations where the enemies have ranged attacks.

If you're concerned about whether your character is within the guidelines, the best thing to do is take a look at the characters which have already been accepted for the campaign. If your proposed character is significantly more effective than the approved characters, it is unlikely that the application will be approved. Right now, Shori is the most combat-capable character in the group, so she's a good starting point for the maximum that we will allow.

Now, I'm a bit less of a stickler for maximum skill levels than the guidelines would indicate. If you have a good concept that focuses on you being an expert in a field, I don't mind a 14- skill level...perhaps even a 15- if it is in a narrow field.

The last thing I wanted to touch on is Disadvantages. One reason we were considering 6E is that it's easier to meet the quota of complications in 6E than disadvantages in 5E. Pures have this problem more than Muts or Beasts, as they generally don't have Physical Limitations or the pre-allocated Distinctive Features. Still, I'm not ready to raise base points and lower disadvantage points. Instead, we ask that your character get at least 60 of the 75 points of disadvantages. If you can't find anything else to take, turn in the character as is and we will allocate 15 points of "mystery" disadvantages that will show up later.