Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattingly

GenCon 2010

Re: GenCon 2010

Nah but as I am now an inch away from contemplating just going as a Player for once and actually making it, a vacation, it can't come soon enough. In the mean time I believe Garycon II is this weekend and I plan to be there at least some of Friday Night, Saturday and Sunday.

~Rex.....really needs a vacation....heh

There is a slim chance I will attend this year. But next year is pretty much a lock. My kids dont need me for DragonCon any more and I am sorta wanting to do a new con. I love DC but after 25 years, I am kinda jaded with it. SO I am guessing a couple of you folks could find a game or two for me>?

Always games, heh. Had the Demo List locked down for the Con but I always leave myself an Out in the contract, because while there are different kinds of companies, they are all still companies and they approach things from the company perspective. Come middle of next week, I'll either still be on my massive Demo schedule as previously planned or (being a company man myself), I excise my contract option based upon their violations of it and use the back door, and play HERO 6e in open gaming all Con. :D Either way I'm good to go.

~Rex

Always games, heh. Had the Demo List locked down for the Con but I always leave myself an Out in the contract, because while there are different kinds of companies, they are all still companies and they approach things from the company perspective. Come middle of next week, I'll either still be on my massive Demo schedule as previously planned or (being a company man myself), I excise my contract option based upon their violations of it and use the back door, and play HERO 6e in open gaming all Con. :D Either way I'm good to go.

~Rex

Is there a particular reason you won't play in any of the many scheduled Hero games? Or did you mean that you would GM Hero 6e in open gaming?

Normally I don't have time since my Demo List usually keeps me obligated for around 12-16 hours a day for running events for whatever the Demo Rouster is at the time, plus Pick Ups since I like running stuff for generic tickets since the Con goes out of it's way to screw over the schedule so folks that don't pre-reg for everything get screwed.

However this year due to some interesting back peddling and intolerable dis-organization, months after the contracts were signed, I may end up free of Obligations for this year (They've got a few days left yet....). Since I like to Run and I live in d20 Damnation Alley, I'd most likely pitch a tent in Open Gaming and run HERO all day and Night, maybe go play in some other stuff if they meet my standards. Right now my demo team is trying to convince me to go run for the RPGA and I'd sooner Nail Gun my own testicles to a block of Magnesium Salt, then go back to running games for those clowns.

~Rex

Normally I don't have time since my Demo List usually keeps me obligated for around 12-16 hours a day for running events for whatever the Demo Rouster is at the time, plus Pick Ups since I like running stuff for generic tickets since the Con goes out of it's way to screw over the schedule so folks that don't pre-reg for everything get screwed.

However this year due to some interesting back peddling and intolerable dis-organization, months after the contracts were signed, I may end up free of Obligations for this year (They've got a few days left yet....). Since I like to Run and I live in d20 Damnation Alley, I'd most likely pitch a tent in Open Gaming and run HERO all day and Night, maybe go play in some other stuff if they meet my standards. Right now my demo team is trying to convince me to go run for the RPGA and I'd sooner Nail Gun my own testicles to a block of Magnesium Salt, then go back to running games for those clowns.

~Rex

I've never had a problem, in my 4 years of attending, of getting in on games with generic tickets and no pre-reg.

That said, I have to ask -- who or what do you demo for? A specific company, or some "demo service" that recruits people to run games for other people?

I've never had a problem, in my 4 years of attending, of getting in on games with generic tickets and no pre-reg.

That said, I have to ask -- who or what do you demo for? A specific company, or some "demo service" that recruits people to run games for other people?

Certainly, in the past, I have had several years where I was mainly working with generics and never had a problem getting into games I wanted.

Gone from T$R to White Wolf to Mongoose with my own Club in the mix (roughly 60 people at that time), and a few other loners here and there. The Industry itself is shuffling a lot of things around and it's not really a done on purpose kinda thing that's causing the issue just a S*** Happens kind of thing. Which may or may not still work out. Either way my plans have been to go back to running as a giant club organization again because honestly, I make more money doing it that way, and it's nice to get paid for a vacation.

My running poll from the first Gencon I started Running at officially as a Company Schlub (Which would have been T$R, and Marvel Super Heroes RPG) (Polls part of my "Please fill this out and offer suggestions paperwork..."), pretty much gives me a 23 year some odd stretch of GMing and associated ratings and what not, and the biggest issue folks always pencil in is how much of a pain it was to find a game that would take Generic Players.....I've had good luck with generics as well, but then I've also been in rooms where I watched player after player have to shuffle away to try and find something to play, and to ME, the point of going to a Game convention to Run games, ESPECIALLY as a company rep and Demo Team, is to get those Players, to play your stuff, and to have them have a great time doing it, and then (my particular specialty aside from the organizational skills), get them to go BUY the stuff as well. Fun and Marketing Strategy can go hand in hand if you are willing to do it right. So far I've been able to sell out the booth product of anything I was running, Every day of the con, so they have to ship in even more stuff. Harder to get folks just to preorder the stuff though. They can do that at home, heh. I always earned my keep though. :D

~Rex.....lookin forward to the Gencon, but has Garycon II this weekend in Lake Geneva.

Woot! I just received confirmation from GenCon LLC that my last-minute RPG event submissions were approved. Looks like I'll be on the schedule, in spite of my procrastination.

For Fantasy Hero / d3 Games:

Title: Kamarathin; Red Queen's Legacy

Description: The latest of a string of bloody murders in the great city of Trin sends a group of young ne'er-do-wells on a fantastic odyssey of revenge and revelation as they search for the truth about the city's despotic rulers of centuries past.

For Kazei 5 / Blackwyrm:

Title: Kazei 5; Welcome to the Zero Zone, now get out!

Description: A young esper is injured somewhere inside the Zero Zone, and guess who's going in to bring her out? Pretty much everyone, actually, but the PC's only get paid if they find her first. Then they have make it out in one piece.

And finally, Star Hero / Terracide: (Hooray, Terracide finally runs at a major convention!)

Title: Terracide; Memetics of Treason

Description: Organizing a mutiny isn't easy. Neither is surviving it. But for the crew of the strike vessel Balisong, it's starting to look like the last, best and only option.

Now...how the *&^%$#@! am I going to pay for this trip?

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

Woot! I just received confirmation from GenCon LLC that my last-minute RPG event submissions were approved. Looks like I'll be on the schedule, in spite of my procrastination.

For Fantasy Hero / d3 Games:

Title: Kamarathin; Red Queen's Legacy

Description: The latest of a string of bloody murders in the great city of Trin sends a group of young ne'er-do-wells on a fantastic odyssey of revenge and revelation as they search for the truth about the city's despotic rulers of centuries past.

For Kazei 5 / Blackwyrm:

Description: A young esper is injured somewhere inside the Zero Zone, and guess who's going in to bring her out? Pretty much everyone, actually, but the PC's only get paid if they find her first. Then they have make it out in one piece.

And finally, Star Hero / Terracide: (Hooray, Terracide finally runs at a major convention!)

Title: Terracide; Memetics of Treason

Description: Organizing a mutiny isn't easy. Neither is surviving it. But for the crew of the strike vessel Balisong, it's starting to look like the last, best and only option.

Now...how the *&^%$#@! am I going to pay for this trip?

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

You might be able to stay with us....

For Kazei 5 / Blackwyrm:

Man... I can't wait to see what you do with this. Hmm... ask Dave about getting a copy of K5 as a give-away prize!

Heh, and here I was going to celebrate because it looks like for the first time in over 22 years I get to actually go to Gencon, to Play. *Adds the K5 game to his list*......

~Rex

Dont mind me, I had a good chance of showing up this year and really good next year, but this septic thank thing has really put an dent in everything. I just seem jinxed on attending Gencon and I just am feeling if I dont attend soon I never will get up there....

WOOT! Executed my contract escape Clause so I'm going this year to actually just Play and run stuff in Open Gaming! HERO bag is dug out dusted off and ready to go!

~Rex

WOOT! Executed my contract escape Clause so I'm going this year to actually just Play and run stuff in Open Gaming! HERO bag is dug out dusted off and ready to go!

~Rex

If you get there Wednesday night, there'll be a HERO party at the hotel room I'll be staying in.

I should be there Wednesday Morning or early afternoon. Just a matter of deciding if I want to pay tons of money and be downtown, or 60 bucks a night and be out by the Beltway and have to drive in and park during the day. Stayed at the one Beltway hotel once before and it was really really nice, but being downtown is nice as well because I don't have to cut my time short for the lightweight wimps that can't keep up, heh. Got the cash to do something fancy if I wanted to but, not sure if I want to spend that much cash on a vampire themed Gencon, heh. Now, if it were a Buck Rogers or Doc Savage themed Gencon, booyah!

~Rex

I should be there Wednesday Morning or early afternoon. Just a matter of deciding if I want to pay tons of money and be downtown, or 60 bucks a night and be out by the Beltway and have to drive in and park during the day. Stayed at the one Beltway hotel once before and it was really really nice, but being downtown is nice as well because I don't have to cut my time short for the lightweight wimps that can't keep up, heh. Got the cash to do something fancy if I wanted to but, not sure if I want to spend that much cash on a vampire themed Gencon, heh. Now, if it were a Buck Rogers or Doc Savage themed Gencon, booyah!

~Rex

We're downtown 'cause I'd rather drive in once and be able to walk everywhere from then on.

I'm fairly curious about that myself. Note to self: write K5 scenario before August.

Bah! Just do what the rest of us do: Furiously scribble half-legible notes on a cocktail napkin the night before the game! ;)

Bah! Just do what the rest of us do: Furiously scribble half-legible notes on a cocktail napkin the night before the game! ;)

So that's your secret!