How to make Spells with Durations

Eodin

Maybe my brain is tired, but I'm having trouble with a magic system I'm creating, and I need some suggestions. I'm trying to come up with a reasonable way of having long-lasting spells that cost END in END per turn or END per minute or END per hour. Here's an example: Torchlight...Images to Sight (10), 2-hex radius (+1/4); Only to create light (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (-1/4), Magic Skill (-0).

This spell should last 1 hour for every 3 END from the END Reserve that the caster spends at casting time.

I could add the Uncontolled advantage, but then it costs 1 END per phase. If I make it Half END, it's still 1 END per phase; If I make it Zero END, it's Zero END. And maybe that's the answer...bring it down to Zero END, but apply an arbitrary (I hate arbitrary) -0 that defines it to be whatever I want... 3 END per Turn, 2 END per Hour, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking for something not quite so arbitrary. Anyone have some bright ideas?

If you make the power Uncontrolled and 0 END you "must have a reasonably common and obvious set of circumstances that will turn it off." (FREd pg. 175).

A time limit would seem to fall under that heading - combined with Dispell or Suppress or somesuch - and there are others that might apply as well depending on the special effect of the spell (e.g., a Darkness spell could douse the Torchlight spell you outlined).

Just a thought.

As I mentioned in the sticky thread, I once came up with a house rule for that. Increased Duration: +1/4 for each level down the Time Chart, for Constant Powers only. That's how often you spend END to maintain it. You can shut it down at any time during the maintenance period, and IIRC you had to define a way for it to be shut down.

Hmmm...each +1/4 changes the END spending time...3 phase, 3 per turn, 3 per minute...not bad at all. I think I'll have to give that a try.

Another idea someone somewhere mentioned...if I create a perk system (Apprentice, Journeyman, etc) and base the shutoff time on the Perk they have...

Thanks guys! :)

Duration END costs for spells

In my campaign I regulate spell usage in several ways.

1) Spells draw off a mana pool (END Reserve) to regulate maximum casting per day. All spells only cost mana to cast.

2) To represent the effort of spells they also cost personal END to cast. If it is an offensive spell it costs personal END per phase.

3) Continuous spells (like defensive spells) cost personal END per turn to maintain. I figure this is too low a penalty to warrant any modifier. There is no disadvantage value - it is just the way it is.

I don't think 1 END per turn or hour has a big enough effect to warrant any modifier.

Re: How to make Spells with Durations

Originally posted by Eodin

Maybe my brain is tired, but I'm having trouble with a magic system I'm creating, and I need some suggestions. I'm trying to come up with a reasonable way of having long-lasting spells that cost END in END per turn or END per minute or END per hour. Here's an example: Torchlight...Images to Sight (10), 2-hex radius (+1/4); Only to create light (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (-1/4), Magic Skill (-0).

This spell should last 1 hour for every 3 END from the END Reserve that the caster spends at casting time.

I could add the Uncontolled advantage, but then it costs 1 END per phase. If I make it Half END, it's still 1 END per phase; If I make it Zero END, it's Zero END. And maybe that's the answer...bring it down to Zero END, but apply an arbitrary (I hate arbitrary) -0 that defines it to be whatever I want... 3 END per Turn, 2 END per Hour, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking for something not quite so arbitrary. Anyone have some bright ideas?

Here's my build on this...

10 Torchlight: Change Environment 2" radius (Long-Lasting: 1 Hour), Requires A Magic Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll +0) (20 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Plus 1 END (-1/4) 2
Powers Cost: 26

Please note the Endurnace Should read 3, 2 is the base but the Plus 1 makes 3 (custom Mod in HD).

Eodin, that's what I do. The one stipulation I make is that you cannot recover while you are "maintaining" a spell. However, you can drop your connection to the spell, so that you can recover, and then at the end of the duration it will end. In order to keep it going you will have to recast it.

It works very well for us.

http://www.tekhed.com/hero/magic.php

Originally posted by archer

As I mentioned in the sticky thread, I once came up with a house rule for that. Increased Duration: +1/4 for each level down the Time Chart, for Constant Powers only. That's how often you spend END to maintain it. You can shut it down at any time during the maintenance period, and IIRC you had to define a way for it to be shut down.

I was gonna say the exact same thing...

Another option I'm toying with would be using Continuous Charges, starting with a base of 16 for unlimited. But since I want all spells to cost END, and restrict the duration some, all charges would cost END, with an additional END cost for every step down the time chart. EG: 20 AP of "light" for an hour costs (2*5)10 END. Increased Duration would lower the multiple by one.