Orion Drive space battleship

Nyrath

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Orion Drive space battleship

Nothing wrong with a little radiation. I even had a player tell me once, that it passes right through you so how can it really be dangerous. Dig the ship though. Swiping said thing for my real science sci fi game. Those players want to build one anyway.

~Rex

Nothing wrong with a little radiation. I even had a player tell me once' date=' that it passes right through you so how can it really be dangerous.[/quote']

Well, by that logic, a bullet passing right through you should not be dangerous either. ;)

I still prefer the design for Michael' date=' but Orion ship in general are groovy[/quote']

A ship for every taste.

The Orion Battleship is a refined deliberately designed warship suitable for a space navy.

The Michael is a frantically designed quickly bolted together warship using existing hardware as much as possible, suitable for surprising alien invaders in a desperate bid for freedom.

THAT is gonna scare the hell out of the "ANYTHING NUCLEAR IS EVIL!!!" crowd. Which is fine by me. ;)

And it did.

When the Battleship concept (including a scale model) was shown to President Kennedy in 1963, JFK was reportedly so freaked out that he immediately cancelled the project altogether.

Feh. The Tau Cetians realized a long time ago that the way to enslave Earth was to set up lots of karaoke bars and let abusive internet bloggers and no-think talk radio shows start controlling politics. No need for this crude and expensive battleships nonsense.

Rex' date=' old buddy, I think that if you tried to launch a spaceship filled with nuclear warheads using 150 state-of-the-art-in-1963 solid rocket motors, you could safely depend on the territory you launched it from being secure against any invader except maybe massively radioactive mutants.[/quote']

Considering stuff goes up all the time without to much of an issue, not worried about the date of invention. Got stuff built in 1963 working just fine now, and somehow, I think stuff built in 2010, will not be working as well in 2057, while there will STILL be stuff from 1963 running around. If the "I scared uh Nuclear!" people knew just what they were being exposed to and where it comes from, they wouldn't begrudge me a few Orbital Battleships to slap commies and hippies around with. :D

~Rex

Considering stuff goes up all the time without to much of an issue, not worried about the date of invention. Got stuff built in 1963 working just fine now, and somehow, I think stuff built in 2010, will not be working as well in 2057, while there will STILL be stuff from 1963 running around. If the "I scared uh Nuclear!" people knew just what they were being exposed to and where it comes from, they wouldn't begrudge me a few Orbital Battleships to slap commies and hippies around with. :D

~Rex

The 1960s were a different time. It`s the only explanation I can think of for stuff like this being forgotten. Hey, just keep launching those nuclear-armed rockets. Eventually one isn`t going to blow up on the launch pad or go randomly astray!

I can only suppose that the Air Force was trying to downplay its ratio of successful to unsuccessful launches in the South Dakota papers.

I think the idea was to use them as a part of a M.A.D. doctrine in the short term' date=' and a "USA conquers the world" strategy in the long term.[/quote']

... and strategic MAD-like deterrence was working out to be so effective in Viet Nam at the time the decision to skip these things was being made. Yeah, they're cool in an outrageous sort of way, but they would have been the biggest, whitest, loudest, dirtiest, most expensive white elephants ever.