Fiction resources for Solar HERO.

Ranxerox

Since the Solar HERO sourcebook is unlikely to ever be published, I figured maybe I could get some resource suggestions the Hero community. However, as I am too lazy to read nonfiction on subject, I was hoping for fiction resources such as novels, movies and comic books. The only ones that come to mind for me are Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy and the move Outland, but I'm sure that there are many others

Re: Fiction resources for Solar HERO.

The novels (and movies) 2001, 2010, and Solaris are set within the Solar System. Robert Silverberg's novel Tower of Glass is (IIRC) entirely earthbound, dealing with androids rather than space travel, but it can give you ideas on future society. Robert Zubrin's book How to Live on Mars has a lot of interesting ideas about settling in the Red Planet, is based on science, and is a great read to boot.

Sometimes, science magazines have a special issue that speculates on future history. Popular Science came out with a "Space 2100" issue back in 2003; I used it extensively for my own campaign.

Ben Bova's Grand Tour series (LOT of books but you can order by the series title), John Varley's Red Thunder, Red Lightning and Rolling Thunder, Martin Caidin's Marooned and a few others of his would work as well. You could go Side Genre as well and look at stuff like Dale Browns Silver Tower; stuff like that.

~Rex

Asimov's I, Robot is set almost entirely within the Solar System. Even if the robots are more advanced than you want for your game, there are still descriptions of space stations and mining colonies everywhere from Mercury to Pluto.

By "everywhere" I mean a lot of places. The book's not long enough to account for everywhere.

I do Cowboy BeBop for my Traveller demo's actually. It's always a huge draw. I think I've run that setting in like, 6 different systems and it always goes over well and gives the "I don'ts Reads Books Evil Rrraghh!" people something to look at for ideas.

~Rex

I do Cowboy BeBop for my Traveller demo's actually. It's always a huge draw. I think I've run that setting in like, 6 different systems and it always goes over well and gives the "I don'ts Reads Books Evil Rrraghh!" people something to look at for ideas.

~Rex

Well, here it is for HERO: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/animechar.html#CB

Another Kim Stanley Robinson title which might be useful for Solar Hero: Icehenge.

A couple of others: Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling, and Accelerando by Charles Stross.

And for something really far-out, Wil McCarthy's Collapsium series.

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

I third that one. and the addition. There's a lot of GREAT Solar level sci fi out there, leaning heavily towards the Sci as well, that really doesn't get the exposure it deserves when faced by the adhd powered Star Wars and the hippy powered Star Trek's out there.

~Rex

Hmmm .....I'll admit to not having that one' date=' but Transhuman-isim doesn't really fit with Solar level campaigning does it? I suppose in some ways it could. Have to look at a few Transhumanist books and debate it.[/quote']

In this case, "transhuman" is being used incorrectly. There is no transhumanism in the GURPS book, just very high technology

In this case' date=' "transhuman" is being used incorrectly. There is no transhumanism in the GURPS book, just very high technology[/quote']

:idjit: D'OH!! { slaps forehead }

Ignore what I said. I was thinking about GURPS: Terradyne, not GURPS: Transhuman.

Heh. To me, Transhuman was the Race you played in the Space Opera rpg if you wanted to be a Vulcan. Was the first step of course, to being a Vulcan Jedi Lensman in power armor fighting Bugs with your Light Saber. That game was shameless when it game to thievery heh. hence, Transhumanisim loses me since I think the Hands On Human approach appeals to me more then the Ever beyond the constraints of the mortal form until all solutions are found stuff.

~Rex

Guest steamteck

If you want to go pulp old school, nothing beats leigh Brackett's solar system stories. John Erik Stark's adventures being my favorite ones. Most are out of print but pretty easily found online.